George RR Martin

jjzazzy

I think we need a topic to complain about the LONG wait between books 4 and 5 in the George RR Martins Song of ice and Fire series.

It is so far the best, most complex, interesting series I have ever read. They keep killing off the main characters. Book one, A Game of Thrones, soon to be released as an HBO mini series.

And yet, we have been waiting years since book 4 was released... continuing to wonder how it will end...

anyone else?

jjzazzy

I'm right there with you, I feel like I've been waiting for so long. I love the series, but at this point I'm starting to think he's just being lazy. And the 4th book ended on such an interesting note. It makes me sad that he's not working harder to put this book out.

He's spending too much time 'advising' on the tv series instead of getting on with what he should be doing :irked:

I reckon, at this rate, the tv series will get to the sixth book before he's even started writing it :doh::lol:

I'm planning on re-reading A Game of Thrones when the show starts next month :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aw, well isn't that just so sweet of him.

George isn't anyone's bitch. Of course not. He is entitled to take as long as he wants. Just like his fans are entitled to lose interest and drift off to other authors and projects. So. Take decades, if you wish, George. Seriously.

But here's what I reckon. When you have the fantasy world teetering on the edge of a chair in excitement for your books, you have a certain amount of power. The power to make them happy, or the power to make them sad (*thinks back to times spent crying over yet another extended date*). And - not that I particularly wish to quote spiderman - a certain responsibility comes with that power. People aren't upset with George because they're evil, mean or spiteful. They are upset because, simply put, they love his books. His art, if you wish. I don't particularly want to feel let down, but I do. I and so many others did our damndest to show George how much we appreciate him and what he does. It just really feels like he doesn't care.

Think about it. JK Rowling never failed to work. She worked hard to put her books out, and she did that because of us, her fans. I think it shows you respect your fans, and it gives a lot more meaning to the reader/author relationship.

That said, I'll read it, of course. A good book more than makes up for a long silence.

In some ways I agree, in some ways I don't. The penalty readers pay for an author 'working hard' to get his or her books out in quick succession is often a decline in quality, which was certainly true of the Potter books (in my opinion, obviously) and also of my favourite series, the Malazan books (the finale excluded).

I wholeheartedly agree that people are upset because they love his books, but I must admit I haven't been desperate for the next book, mainly because the last one was a shadow of the previous entries. As you say, there are other authors out there - and better ones, too.

Edit: Having said that, I do remember, admittedly a long time ago, having to wait for what seemed like ages between David Eddings' Belgariad books, and how annoyed I got about it :irked:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 2 weeks later...

Think about it. JK Rowling never failed to work. She worked hard to put her books out, and she did that because of us, her fans. I think it shows you respect your fans, and it gives a lot more meaning to the reader/author relationship.

I thought J K Rowling was contractually obliged to get her books out on time, what with the film franchise and everything. I might be wrong about that though.

She might have been. She was just an example off the top of my head. But she didnt have a movie deal during the first few books did she?

But....actually, though, I'm reconsidering a lot of my post. I'll let it stand the way it is for argument's sake, but I've given it some thought and I think I've come to the conclusion that I was wrong. And not just because of the tv show, but because ... well, I don't know. George RR Martin must certainly care about his book series as much as, or actually a lot more than, his fans. So he'd want it to be the best it can be. That's probably why it takes time. I guess if I think about it, I consider books to be art - kind of - and you can't rush art, can you? So I'm reeling in my anger. Sorry, George. It was misplaced.

They showed an interview with him on Sky Atlantic before the first episode which was quite interesting. He did admit that he's always been a very slow writer. Apparently it was only after he went on his website and apologised for it taking so long that people started throwing vitriol his way :rolleyes:

Anyway, I started a thread in the tv section so we can discuss the show:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8272-game-of-thrones/

Come and join in! :)

I've actually forgotten most of the storyline. And I don't agree that GRRM had any excuse to put off the book for so long. It somehow makes me feel he's drawing the story out.

He's been drawing it out ever since it started as a trilogy and then became a seven book series :wink:

haha I know that but somehow I was hoping for some regularity. I mean Robert Jordan dragged out the Wheel of time from a trilogy to 7 books to 11 books to 12 books to 14 books! But he had a constant output until he died, except for the tenth book which took three years!

I do understand Niel Gaiman's argument that writers don't work for us. I mean, I'm a writer so I know how hard it is to pen down a few words and be happy with the order, let alone an entire chapter. Yet, I wish GRRM had written this sooner. I hope the next book comes out soon too! Though there appears to be some good news on the aDwD front. Apparently he's putting in more content than ever. I hope it's larger than A Storm of Swords.

I think it's actually a bit shorter than A Storm of Swords. Mind you, if he cuts out all the endless descriptions of what people are wearing or eating he could probably halve the length of the series :lol:

I must admit, I do prefer trilogies to series. I can't think of one series that I've read that hasn't overstayed its welcome in one way or another.

This just in: I'm at my brother's house and leafed through his library for his copy of A Game of Thrones. Imagine my disappointment when I can't find it on his shelves or in his book logging system on his pc. :( Doesn't he understand that I want to read the stupid book?

There was a gaping hole between two other George R R Martin books, too, just to taunt me. It obviously used to be there.

This just in: I'm at my brother's house and leafed through his library for his copy of A Game of Thrones. Imagine my disappointment when I can't find it on his shelves or in his book logging system on his pc. :( Doesn't he understand that I want to read the stupid book?

There was a gaping hole between two other George R R Martin books, too, just to taunt me. It obviously used to be there.

Noooooooo! :(

[Joffrey mode ON]

"Off with his head!"

[/Joffrey mode OFF]

:wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JellyBeans91

I've nor read his books even though I have the Game of Thrones on my waiting list. I have watched Game of Thrones on tv though. Very good.

Are there spoilers, Karsa? For DwD I mean?

I'm starting the audio version of A Feast for Crows (re-read) today. :)

THIS JUST IN. George RR Martin is coming to some medieval festival in Poland! In mid-June! I can't believe it. Depending on exams, I might go!! It's over a weekend, and would mean a bloody seven hours spent on a train, but why not? I mean, might be an adventure, wouldn't it? And I would get to FANGIRL ALL OVER HIM.

I'm so excited right now!

Edited by Hyzenthlay

Are there spoilers, Karsa? For DwD I mean?

Only insomuch as he mentions some point-of-view characters who appear, and those who don't feature at all in ADWD. Nothing plot-specific, but if you want to stay clear of the character list etc it might be best to read it after the book.

Make sure you don't injure him when you see him - he needs to crack on with The Winds of Winter! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...