Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

'Grace is Gone' is the one I was thinking of about his wife being in the Iraq war, Vodkafan. And yes, the one about chance where they are skating in Central park was 'Serendipity.' I love that one! Kate Beckinsale and Jeremy Piven are also in it :D.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Grace is Gone' is the one I was thinking of about his wife being in the Iraq war, Vodkafan. And yes, the one about chance where they are skating in Central park was 'Serendipity.' I love that one! Kate Beckinsale and Jeremy Piven are also in it :D.

Ah yes that's it thanks Peacefield.

I can't believe you girls are fans of Benny the Jet! Or even that you know about him!Back when I was 17 I had his book Training and Fighting Skills and used to practice all his moves( I was big into martial arts) that was in 1978.

;) Have you still got the moves??

I had to google Benny the Jet, I didn't know him and I can't really remember him in the movie either, I only got eyes for Cusack :tong:

My BIL started taking classes at Benny's gym quite a few years ago, Frankie, and they just hit it off. My mom even met Benny when she was out there and just gushed over the fact that she loved him in Grosse Pointe Blank. I think I would've just stood there with my mouth hanging open.

:) I think that made a diary entry for her? :D

Beautiful Girls is kind of an American classic in a way. A guy who has moved away from his home town comes back and sees all his old buddies that are still there, still doing the same old thing. It was sad too that his dad and brother were the same, and missing the mom/wife :). I thought Rosie O'Donnell was hilarious in it too, and everyone for that matter. I always hoped Willie and Marty got together years later, Frankie. Didn't one of them tell the other they would wait for them? Awww. They both just had great spirits, and man, who wouldn't want to marry a piano player like Timothy Hutton?!

I can definitely relate to that small town stuff: I couldn't wait to get out of my hometown, and when I visit my parents I can't believe some of the people I knew from school are still living there, working as cashiers or waitresses. Not that there's anything wrong with that, they might be real happy doing what they're doing and I wouldn't know about it. It's just that I couldn't imagine myself living there anymore.

I bet Willie and Marty got together later on, we just don't know about it because Willie's ex is a hot shot now in the business world and paid for the movie to not come out.

What's funny about Timothy Hutton is that I don't know him from anywhere else, he looks really weird in pics on his imdb site and I don't find him attractive at all. Except for when he's in that particular movie. :lol:

I can relate too to the home town stuff, Frankie. While I loved growing up in mine, I was glad to move somewhere new. I have 2 friends who still live up there and are married with kids, so it's nice to go visit them and see my old stomping grounds, but I wouldn't want to live there anymore.

I think we should work out how old Marty and Willie would be now if they were together :D. The big age difference would surely be acceptable now, right?! There's something about his character in Beautiful Girls that is just so magnetic. He's sarcastic, funny, laid-back, and a musician for goodness sakes! Can't get much better than that imo :lol:. Maybe you've already seen this movie of his, Frankie, but if not you really need to check out 'Ordinary People.' It is one of my most favorite books of all time as well, which was written by Judith Guest. It's definitely one you need to add to your TBR pile.

I can relate too to the home town stuff, Frankie. While I loved growing up in mine, I was glad to move somewhere new. I have 2 friends who still live up there and are married with kids, so it's nice to go visit them and see my old stomping grounds, but I wouldn't want to live there anymore.

Like you said, it's nice to see the old stomping grounds, and I love visiting the local library where I practically grew up in (one of the librarians even remembered my last name when I was getting online registration for the online library thingie last year, she's been working there since we got the new library in before 1993).

However, I don't have any old friends living there and should any of them move back to Nurmes, I would seriously question the person about whether they are right in their mind. So I only have my parents and Mum's sisters and their hubbies living there, plus a couple of cousins from my Mum's side. One of them had a baby last year and she just turned 1, what a cutie :( It's really nice to see new blood in the family.

I think we should work out how old Marty and Willie would be now if they were together :D. The big age difference would surely be acceptable now, right?! There's something about his character in Beautiful Girls that is just so magnetic. He's sarcastic, funny, laid-back, and a musician for goodness sakes! Can't get much better than that imo :D. Maybe you've already seen this movie of his, Frankie, but if not you really need to check out 'Ordinary People.' It is one of my most favorite books of all time as well, which was written by Judith Guest. It's definitely one you need to add to your TBR pile.

The age difference would be totally acceptable by now, definitely. You know, as much as I would like to see Marty and Willie together, it would take some of the magic away from Beautiful Girls if we knew now that they're together. Or at least, the new movie wouldn't be as magical as I'd hope because it's always the anticipation and uncertainty that really catches my eyes and heart. Not the time when it's a done deal and everybody's happy, if you know what I mean :( Too bad!

I haven't seen Ordinary People but the synopsis sounded really depressing. I'll try to check it out anyway, and maybe see if there's a copy of the book in the library.

You know, maybe I should add another post in the first page of this thread: movies that I've watched this year and movies to be watched. We're always talking movies in this thread! (which is not a bad thing at all)

Hi Frankie,

yes I still have all the moves down. I just can't get out of bed for a few days afterwards these days :D

;) I wonder if Benny feels the same way these days! Peace, you should ask your BIL about that!

Okay, I've added two posts in page 2 of this thread: movies that I've watched this year and movies that I need to watch. Peace, I'm quite sure you have a long list of movies you've recommended to me, please let me know if I've forgotten to add any of those :D

I don't know if you did it on purpose, but I'm glad Dead Poet's Society is on the top of the list!

Psst! I would bump Gone with the Wind up the list too. :D

I can see what you mean about a new BG movie not being as magical. I always wondered though in the back of my mind what would've happened. I always hoped that Willie dropped his '7' girlfriend and came back to find Marty years later...

Your movie lists look good, Frankie! Ordinary People is really a wonderful book/movie, even though sad. It won the Oscar that year and was such a touching story. Definitely in my top 10 :D.

I don't know if you did it on purpose, but I'm glad Dead Poet's Society is on the top of the list!

Psst! I would bump Gone with the Wind up the list too. :D

The order of the list is quite accidental and in no particular order, other than what came to mind first! But I guess you guys have been hyping that particular movie so much and for so long that it was the first I thought of :D

I can see what you mean about a new BG movie not being as magical. I always wondered though in the back of my mind what would've happened. I always hoped that Willie dropped his '7' girlfriend and came back to find Marty years later...

Your movie lists look good, Frankie! Ordinary People is really a wonderful book/movie, even though sad. It won the Oscar that year and was such a touching story. Definitely in my top 10 ;).

Wow, it even won the Oscar? It's weird because I've never even heard of it. It must be good then :D Peace, should I read the book first or go for the movie?

The list of movies that I've watched this year is not complete, btw, I just wrote down the movies that I remembered.

The order of the list is quite accidental and in no particular order, other than what came to mind first! But I guess you guys have been hyping that particular movie so much and for so long that it was the first I thought of :D

Who, us? :D I guess you'd better watch it then. ;) I watched it again a couple of weeks ago and it was just as brilliant as always.

Dead Poets is good for the top of the list! I won't be obnoxious and tell you that New Moon goes up there, since obviously I like that movie for other reasons :D.

Book first definitely for Ordinary People, Frankie. The movie's wonderful, but reading the book is will give you the bigger picture before you seen the film. It won the Oscar over The Godfather if I'm not mistaken!

Oh! I believe you also need to add Buffalo '66 to your list. Must see Vincent Gallo!

Who, us? :D I guess you'd better watch it then. :D I watched it again a couple of weeks ago and it was just as brilliant as always.

Don't try to act all innocent Kylie, you've got 'guilty as charged' written all over your face :D I promise I'll be watching it soon ;)

Dead Poets is good for the top of the list! I won't be obnoxious and tell you that New Moon goes up there, since obviously I like that movie for other reasons.

Book first definitely for Ordinary People, Frankie. The movie's wonderful, but reading the book is will give you the bigger picture before you seen the film. It won the Oscar over The Godfather if I'm not mistaken!

Oh! I believe you also need to add Buffalo '66 to your list. Must see Vincent Gallo!

Haha, when I was writing down 'New Moon' I was actually thinking of you peace and wondering what you'd say when you saw the list, and how much I would be reprimanded for that :(

Over The Godfather? Wow! Okay book first, movie after that. And thanks for reminding me about Buffalo 66! :( Keep 'em coming!

This movie topic has reminded me to list my favorites and to-be-seen to my own coffeehouse thread, Frankie. Have you visited btw? Even if you don't drink coffee we also have tea and fat-free hot chocolate of course! Plus we have a barista that looks bares an uncanny resemblence to Vincent so you can't go wrong! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I got 6 books for free yesterday:

Georgia Byng: Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism

Georgia Byng: Molly Moon Stops the World

Helen Fielding: Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination

Ira Levin: Sliver

Thomas Pynchon: The Crying of Lot 49

Angela Sommer-Bodenburg: The Little Vampire

I got 6 books for free yesterday:

Georgia Byng: Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism

Georgia Byng: Molly Moon Stops the World

Helen Fielding: Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination

Ira Levin: Sliver

Angela Sommer-Bodenburg: The Little Vampire

For free, where at? That's great Frankie :blush: I haven't heard of any of those personally, but the title of Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination immediately grabs my attention.

Have you started any of them yet?

Lucky you! I have this Pynchon on my TBR pile but I'm scared to read it because he's supposed to be quite difficult to read. Have you read anything else by him?

Hi Frankie I started Trainspotting this morning. You were not kidding about the language being difficult to read. I am just about OK because I can imagine a Scottish accent but for someone who is not UK born.....it must be hideous. Crazy way to write a book!

For free, where at? That's great Frankie :smile2: I haven't heard of any of those personally, but the title of Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination immediately grabs my attention.

Have you started any of them yet?

A couple of them were for free at a flee market, I think they just weren't able to sell them and decided to get rid of them and offer them for free. Dad paid the other 4 books for me, I found them at the library sale.

I read Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination when it first came out, and I loved it. It's a light, easy read, but great fun, as long as you like that sort of thing :D

I tried reading Olivia Joules once and couldn't get into it, which was unexpected because I love the Bridget Jones diaries. I thought I'd give it another shot, it's been a while since my last chick lit read and I could do with a quick fast paced read :cry:

Lucky you! I have this Pynchon on my TBR pile but I'm scared to read it because he's supposed to be quite difficult to read. Have you read anything else by him?

I tried reading The Crying of Lot 49 some years ago for uni but found the novel hard to get into. Now that I found the book and realised it was such a short read I thought I should just go and read it, it can't be that hard. If you want, we could read it together at some point, for support :(

Hi Frankie I started Trainspotting this morning. You were not kidding about the language being difficult to read. I am just about OK because I can imagine a Scottish accent but for someone who is not UK born.....it must be hideous. Crazy way to write a book!

Haha, the book is sure taking a bit more time to read than usual :irked: Some of the words are easier to understand what they are but some I need to think about, I kind of try to hear in my head how a Scottish person would pronounce the word and go from there. It's not that difficult but it's sometimes frustrating because the reading is so slow at times.

There's this one particular bit in the book that I remember very well and thought it was very clever, I need to check out the page number for that and ask you about the bit when you've read it :D

I am born and bred Scottish and still living here, and I find the language hard to read, too! I basically have to say all the words silently (or sometimes not silently) to myself to work out what they are :smile2: I speak Scots, but I definitely don't read it!

I am born and bred Scottish and still living here, and I find the language hard to read, too! I basically have to say all the words silently (or sometimes not silently) to myself to work out what they are :smile2: I speak Scots, but I definitely don't read it!

Wow, so it is a bit of a struggle for others too, and for an actual 100% Scot as well! Thanks for the comment Ooshie :irked:

I wonder about writing in regional dialects and how common that is in the UK. I usually don't like it if a Finnish novel is written in any certain dialect, I much prefer the Finnish "norm" language.

Edited by frankie

Bought these from a charityshop today:

- Truddi Chase: When Rabbit Howls (a true story about a woman who has 92 alternate personalities)

- Joseph Heller: Catch-22 (1001, RG-:D

- Victor Hugo: Les Miserables (1001)

- Siri Hustvedt: The Sorrows of an American

I've been wanting to read When Rabbit Howls for ages, and Les Miserables was a real bargain, only 1,50e and it was in English as well. I've never read Siri Hustvedt's novels but I'd like to read the whole trilogy.