Shin's Read Log 2009

Shin

I know I am new here but I thought I'd start my log now. I think this is a great idea to get me organised with what I have read, what I have to read and what I really want to read.

Although, I don't think I can list all the books that I have read from the beginning of the year as to be honest I can't remember. :D But I will give it a go any way.

Currently Reading:

Book Read In 2009

(the ones that I can remember anyway)

Charlaine Harries - Club Dead 10/10

Charlaine Harris - Living Dead In Dallas 10/10

Karin Slaughter - Kisscut 10/10

Karin Slaughter - Fractured 10/10

Karin Slaughter - Triptych 10/10

Jeff Lindsay - Darkly Dreaming Dexter 6/10

Kim Harrison - The Good, The Bad and The Undead 8.5/10

Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking 8.5/10

Karin Slaughter - Blindsighted 10/10

Elizabeth Peters - Street of the Five Moons 7/10

P.C and Kristen Cast - Betrayed 8/10

Charlaine Harris - Dead Until Dark 10/10

Anne Rice - Interview with the Vampire (368 pages) 10/10

Melissa Hil - All Because of You (449 pages) 8/10

Sophie Kinsella - Remember Me? (346 pages) 9/10

Elizabeth Peters - Borrower of The Night (244 pages) 9/10

Janet Evanovich - Lean Mean Thirteen (309 pages) 10/10

Rachel Caine - Dead Girls Dance 10/10

Janet Evanovich - Twelve Sharp 10/10

Polly Courtney - The Day I Died 5/10

Amanda Grange - Mr Darcy's Diary 10/10

James Patterson - Along Came A Spider 9/10

Janet Evanovich - Eleven on Top 10/10

Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts 7/10

Fiona Neill

Edited by Shin
updated current read and books read list and ratings

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books To Be Read

Patricia Scanlan – Foreign Affairs

Patricia Scanlan – Mirror, Mirror

Jenny Colgan – Do you remember the first time?

Mary A Larkin – A Matter of Trust

Mary A Larkin – Best Laid Plans

Anne Rice – Blood and Gold

Marian Keyes – The Other Side of the Story

Marian Keyes – Last Chance Saloon

Marian Keyes – Sushi for Beginners

Marian Keyes – The Charming Man

Alice Sebold – The Lovely Bones (started)

Sinead Moriaty – In My Sisters Shoes (started)

Janet Evanovich – Metro Girl

Janet Evanovich – Full House

Jonathan Kellerman – When The Bough Breaks

Shaun Hutson – Lucy’s Child

Shaun Hutson – Heathen

Cathy Kelly – Someone Like You

Cathy Kelly – Lessons in Heartbreak

Virginia Andrews – Into the Garden

Virginia Andrews – Pearl in the Mist

Virginia Andrews – Broken Wings

Virginia Andrews – Fallen Hearts

Virginia Andrews – Darkest Hour

Virginia Andrews – Hidden Leaves

Virginia Andrews – Into the Woods

Virginia Andrews – Wicked Forest

Melissa Hill - All Because Of You

James Patterson - Kiss The Girls

James Patterson - Jack and Jill

James Patterson - Hide and Seek

Stephen King - The Cell

Michael Cordy - The Crime Code

Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper

Jane Green - The Beach House

Amanda Brunker - Champagne Kisses

Kelley Armstrong - Bitten

Dinah Lampitt - Sutton Place

Dinah Lampitt - The Silver Swan

Dinah Lampitt - Fortune's Soldier

Catherine Cookson - A Ruthless Need

Catherine Cookson - The Obsession

Catherine Cookson - The Solace of Sin

Catherine Cookson - Kate Hannigan's Girl

Catherine Cookson - The Silent Lady

Sheila O'Flanagan - Bad Behaviour

Clive Cussier - Lost City

Total = 50

Edited by Shin
Add books to list & moved one to current read

Wish List

(this list is not exhausive..:D)

Janet Evanovich – Visions of Sugar Plums

Janet Evanovich – Plum Lucky

Janet Evanovich - Fearless Fourteen

Janet Evanovich – Plum Spooky

Janet Evanovich – Finger Licking Fifteen

Rachel Caine - Midnight Alley

Rachel Caine – Fest of Fools

Rachel Caine – Lord of Misrule

Rachel Caine – Carpe Corpus

Rachel Caine - Fade Out

P.C and Kristen Cast – Chosen

P.C and Kristen Cast – Untamed

P.C and Kristen Cast – Hunted

Elizabeth Peters - Silhouette in Scarlet

Elizabeth Peters - Trojan Gold

Elizabeth Peters - Night Train to Memphis

Jeff Lindsay - Dearly Devoted Dexter

Jeff Lindsay - Dexter in the Dark

Jeff Lindsay - Dexter by Design

James Patterson - Cat and Mouse

James Patterson - Pop Goes the Weasel

James Patterson - Roses are Red

James Patterson - Violets are Blue

James Patterson - Four Blind Mice

James Patterson - The Big Bad Wolf

James Patterson - London Bridges

James Patterson - Mary Mary

James Patterson - Cross

James Patterson - Double Cross

James Patterson - Cross Country

James Patterson - Alex Cross's Trial

James Patterson - I, Alex Cross

Karin Slaughter - A Faint Cold Fear

Karin Slaughter - Indelible

Karin Slaughter - Faithless

Karin Slaughter - Skin Privilege

Karin Slaughter - Genesis

Edited by Shin
Move to TBR list and added books to wishlist

VanishingActsbyJodiPicoult.jpg

Started: ?

Finished: 19/07/2009

Rating: 7/10

Synopsis: Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fianc

Edited by Shin
added rating

• 5 weeks later...

ElevenOnTopbyJanetEvanovich.jpg

Started: 19/07/09

Finished: ?

Rating: 10/10

Synopsis: Stephanie Plum is thinking her career as fugitive apprehension agent has run its course. She's been shot at, spat at, cussed at, fire-bombed, mooned, and attacked by dogs. Time for a change, Stephanie thinks. Time to find the kind of job her mother can tell her friends about without making the sign of the cross. So Stephanie Plum quits. Resigns. No looking back. No changing her mind. She wants something safe and normal. As it turns out, jobs that are safe and normal for most people aren't necessarily safe and normal for Stephanie Plum. Trouble follows her, and the kind of trouble she had at the bail bonds office can't compare to the kind of trouble she finds herself facing now. Her past has come back to haunt her. She's stalked by a maniac returned from the grave for the sole purpose of putting her into a burial plot of her own. He's killed before, and he'll kill again if given the chance. Caught between staying far away from the bounty hunter business and staying alive, Stephanie re-examines her life and the possibility that being a bounty hunter is the solution rather than the problem. After disturbingly brief careers at the button factory, Kan Klean Dry Cleaners, and Cluck-in-a-Bucket, Stephanie takes an office position in security, working for Ranger, the sexiest, baddest, bounty hunter and businessman in two continents. It might not be the job she'll keep for the rest of her life, but for now, it gives her the technical access she needs to find her stalker. Tempers and temperatures rise as competition ratchets up between the two men in her life --her off-again, on-again boyfriend, tough Trenton cop, Joe Morelli, and her bad-ass boss, Ranger. Can Stephanie Plum take the heat? Can you?

This is the eleventh book in the Stephanie Plum series (hence the title :lol:) and Janet Evanovich never fails to amaze me. Her Plum novels are full of adventure and fun and this book sees Stephanie take on a different role and again we see a little more into the life of the dark mysterious Ranger. The Plum novels will always get a 10/10 from me. :lol:

AlongCameASpiderbyJamesPatterson-1.jpg

Rating: 9/10

Synopsis: The spectacular international bestseller that introduced Washington-based homicide detective Alex Cross and launched James Patterson's career as one of the fastest-selling thriller writers in the world -- now reissued in striking new cover style. He had always wanted to be famous. When he kidnapped two well-known rich kids, it was headline news. Then one of them was found -- dead -- and the whole nation was in uproar. For such a high-profile case, they needed the top people -- Alex Cross, a black detective with a PhD in psychology, and Jezzie Flanagan, an ambitious young Secret Service agent -- yet even they were no match for the killer. He had the unnerving ability to switch from blood-crazed madness to clear-eyed sanity in an instant. But was he the helpless victim of a multiple-personality disorder -- or a brilliant, cold-blooded manipulator?

Although this is not the first book I have read by James Patterson, it is the first novel I have read in the Alex Cross series. I can't remember much of the film so I was going to enjoy this book without actually knowing the ending. That was until I asked a colleague of mine did she see the film and she said "oh yes, that's the one were...." and just told me the ending of the book! :lol: I suppose I shouldn't have asked. Despite this, I still enjoyed the book and it did have you sitting at the edge of you seat while reading it. I have now got Kiss The Girls to read and I will not be asking my colleague did she see that film. :lol: I rated this book 9/10 because of the spoiler but it was definitely an excellent read.

Edited by Shin

AlongCameASpiderbyJamesPatterson-1.jpg

Synopsis: The spectacular international bestseller that introduced Washington-based homicide detective Alex Cross and launched James Patterson's career as one of the fastest-selling thriller writers in the world -- now reissued in striking new cover style. He had always wanted to be famous. When he kidnapped two well-known rich kids, it was headline news. Then one of them was found -- dead -- and the whole nation was in uproar. For such a high-profile case, they needed the top people -- Alex Cross, a black detective with a PhD in psychology, and Jezzie Flanagan, an ambitious young Secret Service agent -- yet even they were no match for the killer. He had the unnerving ability to switch from blood-crazed madness to clear-eyed sanity in an instant. But was he the helpless victim of a multiple-personality disorder -- or a brilliant, cold-blooded manipulator?

Although this is not the first book I have read by James Patterson, it is the first novel I have read in the Alex Cross series. I can't remember much of the film so I was going to enjoy this book without actually knowing the ending. That was until I asked a colleague of mine did she see the film and she said "oh yes, that's the one were...." and just told me the ending of the book! :lol: I suppose I shouldn't have asked. Despite this, I still enjoyed the book and it did have you sitting at the edge of you seat while reading it. I have now got Kiss The Girls to read and I will not be asking my colleague did she see that film. :smile2: I rated this book 9/10 because of the spoiler but it was definitely an excellent read.

I love james patterson and I actually prefer Kiss the girls to Along came a spider. Even though they are both fantastic. Happy reading. Look forward to your review :lol:

CW

Good mixture there Shin. Nice to see a newcomer well and truly settled in by the looks of it. Happy :lol: reading.

Thanks Inver, I think these reading logs are great idea. I am forever trying to keep up with what I have read and haven't read. Although I have to admit I don't see myself as I great reviewer of books so please excuse my reviews. :lol: But I am trying.

Most of my books have been given to me by my mum who reads different types of books to me except for the chick lit ones. She's not into thrillers like me and she has given me a lot of Catherine Cookson books to add to my TBR list. :smile2:

I love james patterson and I actually prefer Kiss the girls to Along came a spider. Even though they are both fantastic. Happy reading. Look forward to your review :lol:

CW

Well, I am looking forward to reading Kiss The Girls then. I bought three James Patterson books from Bargain Books for

MrDarcysDiarybyAmandaGrange-3.jpg

Synopsis: Mr. Darcy's Diary presents the story of the unlikely courtship of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy from Darcy's point of view--sharing his innermost thoughts and feelings. This graceful imagining and sequel to Price and Prejudice explains Darcy’s moodiness and the difficulties of his reluctant relationship as he struggles to avoid falling in love with Miss Bennet. Though seemingly stiff and stubborn at times, Darcy’s words prove him also to be quite devoted and endearing – qualities that eventually win over Miss Bennet’s heart. This continuation of a classic romantic novel is charming and elegant, much like Darcy himself.

This is definitely one for Pride and Prejudice lovers. This book tells the story from Mr Darcy's point of view and it gives you an insight of Mr Darcy's thoughts and emotions towards Elizabeth Bennet. I think this is a lovely read especially for those who just love Mr Darcy, wait is there any woman out there that doesn't love Mr Darcy?

:lol:

This has nothing to do with this actual book but I have just found another book by Amanda Grange which is now released in the US and due to be released in the UK early September. "Mr Darcy, Vampyre"! Taking it a bit too far? Yes, I'd say but with two of my most favourite things to read about, vampires and Mr Darcy, I think I am going to look out for this book out of curiosity. This book is a sequel to Pride and Prejudice and the author wanted to make things a bit difficult between the marriage of Darcy and Elizabeth so she decided to make him a vampire!

:lol:

Edited by Shin

I see lots of James Patterson on your lists. He is a tremendous author, I always enjoy reading one of his books. :lol:

I actually started reading his romance novels first and now I am getting into his Alex Cross series. I do love a good thriller and I have enjoyed every book that I have read by James Patterson.

TheDayIDiedbyPollyCourtney-2.jpg

Finished: 15/08/09

Rating: 5/10

Synopsis from Waterstones: Can you walk away from your own life? It's 4am, London and a young woman comes to amidst sirens and screams - the result of a bomb that has left utter carnage in its wake. Wearing the remains of a tattered black dress and wrapped in a filthy blanket, she is utterly unaware of where - and more importantly - who she is. Disorientated by overwhelming feelings of shame and guilt, the woman picks up an abandoned wallet from the gutter and, following her instincts, flees the scene. Escaping on a bus into a remote country village, she adopts the name 'Jo' in place of the identity that still eludes her. Jo quickly builds herself a new life in the country, finding a job and settling into a new community. But fragmented pieces of her past keep encroaching on her present - from the realisation that she is an alcoholic, to a chance meeting with a man that triggers flashbacks - and Jo is forced to solve the mystery of her own identity. But as she pieces together her past - and in doing so uncovers some shocking secrets about her old life - can Jo face the truth of who she is really is? Dark, disturbing and utterly enthralling women's fiction from a stunning new UK talent.

I have to admit that this book, for me, was a struggle to read. So much so I returned it to the library late...I had this book 3 weeks! I just found the main character, Jo slightly annoying. The book did have you in suspense about why she walked away from her past. I really was believing that it was something major.

I felt Jo was acting very childish. Moving from one accommodation to the next and from one life to the other. She just didn't know what she wanted which really irritated me. And the fact that her new employers begged her to stay with them even though they knew she was not qualified for the job was just so unbelievable.

I have never read a more annoying book in my life.

TwelveSharpbyJanetEvanovich-2.jpg

Started: 15/08/2009

Finished: 19/08/2009

Synopsis from Waterstones: Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is spending her days chasing down the usual cast of losers and weirdos. Until, that is, the tables are turned and now someone's after her. The mysterious stalker, a crazed woman dressed in black, carries a Glock and has a secret connection to the dark and dangerous Ranger. Suddenly, the action turns deadly serious and Stephanie goes from hunting skips to hunting a murderer. The chase is one and Ranger and Stephanie must work together to find the killer, rescue a missing child and stop a rapidly rising body count. But they're getting too close for comfort - what will Joe Morrelli, Stephanie's on-again, off-again boyfriend, have to say?

Janet Evanovich does it again. I can honestly say I never get tired of reading about this clumsy bounty hunter. I just love the comedy in these books and of course the sexy two male characters in the form of Ranger and Morelli. In this book, we see a side to Ranger that we thought we never would. At the beginning of this series, Ranger was known as the dark mysterious bounty hunter that moves like smoke. No one knows were he lives but only that it is known as the Batcave. And as for Morelli, well we

finally hear Stephanie udder those "3" words to him in this book...yeah!

And we would all love a granny like Grandma Mazur. If you love bounty hunters, laughs, love all mixed into one. I'd say that these would be a great read. Again, a high scoring 10/10 for me.

DeadGirlsDanebyRachelCaine.jpg

Started: 19/08/2009

Finished: 23/08/2009

Synopsis from Waterstones: Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favours beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

This is the second book of the Morganville Vampire Series and starts off exactly were the first book Glass House ends...which did end with a great cliff hanger. Even though this is Rachel Caine's young adult series, it is fast pacing and pact with adventure which kept me interested. I just love the fact that there is never a dull moment in Morganville. I enjoyed learning more about the characters in this second book and the few surprises that happen too. If you are a vampire lover and need to fill the "Twilight" gap, I suggest reading this series. It is so much fun.

Edited by Shin
update review

• 2 weeks later...

LeanMeanThirteenbyJanetEvanovich.jpg

Started: 23/08/2009

Finished: 28/08/2009

Synopsis from Waterstones: Stephanie Plum's ex-husband Dickie Orr has disappeared and Stephanie is the prime suspect in his disappearance. Is Dickie dead? Can he be found? And can Stephanie stay one step ahead in this new, dangerous game? Joe Morelli, the hottest cop in Trenton, New Jersey, is also keeping Stephanie on her toes - and he may know more than he's saying about many things in Stephanie's life. It's a cat-and-mouse game for Stephanie Plum and the ultimate prize might be her life...

Again, an enjoyable read. This book sees Stephanie being accused of her ex-husband's disappearance. But as I don't want to give out any spoilers to the book, I'll just leave you with what the synopsis says. However, even though I have appraised these novels to no end, one thing that springs to mind after reading this book is that the story line is predictable. Don't get me wrong, Janet Evanovich's Plum series will always be a favourite of mine but I have noticed that the background explanations are always the same, sometimes even the wording. But that is expected after reading thirteen of the novels. I still give it a 10/10 as the characters are still funny and I really don't know how Stephanie can be a successful bounty hunters with all her antics.

BorroweroftheNightbyElizabethPeters.jpg

Started: 29/08/2009

Finished: 30/08/2009

Synopsis from Waterstones: A missing masterwork in wood, the last creation of a master carver who died in the violent tumult of sixteenth century Germany, may be hidden in the medieval castle in the town of Rothenburg. The prize has called to Vicky Bliss, drawing her and an arrogant male colleague into the forbidding citadel and its dark secrets. But the treasure hunt soon turns deadly. Here, where the blood of the long forgotten stains ancient stones, Vicky must face two perilous possibilities: either a powerful supernatural evil inhabits the place...or someone frighteningly real is willing to kill for what Vicky is determined to find.

This is the first book in the Vicky Bliss murder mystery series and also the first book I have read by Elizabeth Peters. This book was a quick read and also out of the norm for me. Vicky Bliss is an art historian and goes on a little "treasure hunt" in Germany but there is obstacles in her way. Others are on the treasure hunt too. A bit like the wacky races and also "who done it?" comes to mind. I really enjoyed this book and enjoyed getting to know new characters. I definitely will continue to read the Vicky Bliss books and I will also look into the Amelia Peabody series also.

RememberMebySophieKinsella.jpg

Started: 30/08/2009

Finished: 02/09/2009

Synopsis: What if you woke up and your life was perfect? Lexi wakes up in a hospital bed after a car accident, thinking it's 2004 and she's a twenty-five-year old with crooked teeth and a disastrous love life.But, to her disbelief, she learns it's actually 2007 - she's twenty-eight, her teeth are straight, she's the boss of her department - and she's married! To a good-looking millionaire! How on earth did she land the dream life??! She can't believe her luck - especially when she sees her stunning new home. She's sure she'll have a fantastic marriage once she gets to know her husband again. He's drawn up a 'manual of our marriage', which should help. But as she learns more about her new self, chinks start to appear in the perfect life. All her old colleagues hate her. A rival is after her job. Then a dishevelled, sexy guy turns up... and lands a new bombshell. What the **** happened to her? Will she ever remember? And what will happen if she does?

I have always enjoyed reading Sophie Kinsella's book and this one didn't disappoint me. I don't read as much chick lit books as I used to but I think one in between the thrillers and vampire books relaxes the mind. :D Of course, I think most chick lit books are predictable in their story lines and the author really gives the readers what they want but this book was very light hearted and I really enjoyed it. Full of fun, love and laughs and I really enjoyed how the characters developed in Lexi's new perfect world.

AllBecauseofYoubyMelissaHill.jpg

Started: 02/09/2009

Finished: 04/09/2009

Rating: 8/10

Synopsis: Tara Harrington's life seems perfect - a successful career as a life coach, the flashy sports car to match, and a happy home with Glenn. But when her difficult younger sister Emma announces she's pregnant, and refuses to divulge who the father is, suspicions are aroused all round. Tara's best friend Liz's fairytale husband, Eric, suddenly doesn't seem so Prince Charming any more, and their dream move from the city to the country isn't working out as planned. But can Tara help her friend through it? Glamorous London PR girl Natalie has everything she ever wanted - except a husband. And when Tara agrees to coach her in landing the latest 'man of her dreams', the two women soon find they have more in common than either had imagined. Can Tara make it on her own? Will Liz secure her family idyll in the country? And will Natalie finally find love with a man who deserves her?

I found this book quite hard to get into. Why? I don't really know. I found that I was reading the book and putting it down to read something else. But finally I decided I had to finish the book once and for all. I have to say that after reading it I was amazed that it turned out an enjoyable read with a few twists here and there. That's what made it for me, the twists. Something I have never came across in a chick lit book before or that I can remember off. I enjoyed how the author brought each of the characters together in some way, by some sort of link.

If you decide to read this book and if you are like me (going to the back of the book for a bit of a nosy), then don't. Don't spoil it for yourself like I did. I found out one of the twists before I got to the end of the book. Good read in the end.

Started: 04/09/2009

Finished: 14/09/2009

Synopsis: In a darkened room a young man sits telling the macabre and eerie story of his life - the story of a vampire, gifted with eternal life, cursed with an exquisite craving for human blood. Anne Rice's compulsively readable novel is arguably the most celebrated work of vampire fiction since Bram Stoker's Dracula was published in 1897. As the Washington Post said on its first publication, it is a 'thrilling, strikingly original work of the imagination ...sometimes horrible, sometimes beautiful, always unforgettable'.

It took me longer to read this book because I knew what happens in it due to watching the film. Therefore I wasn't in a hurry to finish the book but savored every page and took it slowly. However, as it has been years since I watched the film, certain aspects were highlighted in the book that I don't think I realised it was happening in the film. This tale tells of a vampire's immortal life beginning in New Orleans and is eerie, chilling but equally full of passion, love and emotions. Anne Rice's style of writing is completely new to me but the characters are well written and she has a remarkable imagination. I will definitely be reading the remainder of the Vampire Chronicles as I really did enjoy this book.

Some great looking books on your list there Shin.....few Ive noted to look out for next time Im shopping xx

Thanks Sue, glad I have given you some inspiration on certain books. Let me know when you read any. I see your reading the Host by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't read that one yet even though I have read the Twilight saga. Hope you enjoy. x

Thanks Sue, glad I have given you some inspiration on certain books. Let me know when you read any. I see your reading the Host by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't read that one yet even though I have read the Twilight saga. Hope you enjoy. x

You have and that's baaad :(

I havent started reading The Host yet but my Mr Man bookmark is firmly placed on the first page :lol: