e-book, audio book or printed book?

emelee

E-book, audio book or printed book?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. E-book, audio book or printed book?

• E-book
    • Audio book
    • Printed book

If all of them were same price, same variety, what would be your 1st choice? 

My choice would still be the printed book. I can't read long texts on a screen, and audio books (while I do have some), are often for bedtime because I prefer to read in my own pace (which is of course faster than the audio book pace)

Edited by emelee

I gotta give it up for my Kindle.  I love having a library that I can have with me at all times.  I don't have enough room for all the shelves I have or need as it is!  I have 300 books on my Kindle (and 280 Samples), I don't have that much actual physical space left!

Question to Kindle-lovers: Is it the same to read on the Kindle like it is to read on the computer screen? Or have they made the screen more read-friendly that an ordinary screen? 

Whenever I must read a paper or anything that is on the computer, I have to print it. I just cannot read long texts on the computer screen. I would like an e-reader, because of space issues, but I don't know if I could read more than 2 minutes before getting annoyed looking on the screen.

I much prefer the printed book (paperbacks). I do have some Kindle and ebooks, but I read paperbooks much more often (and if they are the same price I prefer the paperback). I don't listen to audiobooks, they're not my thing at all.

Question to Kindle-lovers: Is it the same to read on the Kindle like it is to read on the computer screen? Or have they made the screen more read-friendly that an ordinary screen? 

Whenever I must read a paper or anything that is on the computer, I have to print it. I just cannot read long texts on the computer screen. I would like an e-reader, because of space issues, but I don't know if I could read more than 2 minutes before getting annoyed looking on the screen.

It's much easier to read off a Kindle than a computer screen. I can't read too long on the computer screen either (though longer than 2 minutes), but I can read longer on the Kindle, due to the e-ink technology. I would suggest seeing if there is a bookshop nearby where you can see e-ink technology in action but I don't know if that's the case where you live (in the Netherlands I've not yet come across a physical bookshop here that sells and displays e-readers).

Printed books for me. I occasionally read on the kindle, but I still love books. Audiobooks come a close second though.

emelee, as already said, ereaders are much different to computer screens. Having tried a few, my personal favourite is the paperwhite. 

I think I prefer ebooks, but only on an e-ink device.  I find that, particularly on holiday, when I search out indie bookshops, I feel the need to support them and buy one … or two ... or a few books, and then I end up with a full shelf, so I go through a stage of trying to clear these down, and I get back into the habit of reading from a book.   As soon as I go back to an ebook, I find it much more comfortable to read, and I like that I can change the text size, which is useful in different light levels, or when my eyes are tired.  

I can only follow an audiobook if I've already read the book and know what's going on, otherwise, my mind tends to wander and I realise I've missed a few paragraphs or pages, and it's much more difficult to go back and listen again compared to going back to the top of the page when reading!

So for me, it has to be the ebook, and at the moment, my device is the Kindle keyboard, although I think I'd like to upgrade to a paperwhite at some point. :)

I can only follow an audiobook if I've already read the book and know what's going on, otherwise, my mind tends to wander and I realise I've missed a few paragraphs or pages, and it's much more difficult to go back and listen again compared to going back to the top of the page when reading!

So for me, it has to be the ebook, and at the moment, my device is the Kindle keyboard, although I think I'd like to upgrade to a paperwhite at some point. :)

Most of the time I have no problem following an audiobook. In fact, that's one reason why I like them at night.. I tune into the book and turn off the rest of my racing mind. 

As for the kindle, I struggle without some sort of light, so the paperwhite is a must for me. 

Most of the time I have no problem following an audiobook. In fact, that's one reason why I like them at night.. I tune into the book and turn off the rest of my racing mind.

I'm usually so exhausted by the day that I think if I put an audiobook on, I'd probably fall asleep almost immediately! :lol:

As for the kindle, I struggle without some sort of light, so the paperwhite is a must for me.

I got mine before the paperwhite came out, and while it's still working, I can't really justify spending the money on changing it at the moment. I might try and put some hints out there and see if Father Christmas brings one this year :D (actually, that never works - OH always insists that presents should be surprises, so if I even remotely hint about something I'd like, I can guarantee I won't get it!)

E-books all the way for me - they are cheaper to buy, easy to carry around, save trees, save your shoulders when travelling (not having to lug around heavy books in your luggage) and are better for the author as well, who in most cases, earns considerably more (no middle men to pay). What's not to like ?

E-books all the way for me - they are cheaper to buy, easy to carry around, save trees, save your shoulders when travelling (not having to lug around heavy books in your luggage) and are better for the author as well, who in most cases, earns considerably more (no middle men to pay). What's not to like ?

I never thought of them as being "environmentally friendly" :smile:

That's great, with the e-reader technology. I always thought it was like a computer screen. Good to know that that's not the case. Might get myself a Paperwhite or another e-reader in the future. 

I prefer paperbacks, especially for authors/series of which I'm a fan - and for books I fancy where I really like the cover (never judge a book etc etc :blush2: ), but I use my Kindle for ones I'm not sure about, wherever possible.  I'm not a fan of audiobooks at all - I've tried a couple but just couldn't stand them.

I'd stick to paperbacks if I had the space to keep them all, but the shelves fill up so quickly I'm forever having to take loads to the local hospice shop. 

I love words; written, typed, digitalised, printed or spoken. You gotta a good tale to tell? Let me have it! :D

Convenience wise, the e reader is a doddle to carry around, store books on etc, but nothing beats the smell of a book, or the perusal of a book store, be it a seller of new or second hand books. *sigh*

I listen to audios when my hands are busy, such as gardening or sewing. My only gripe about them is that I will find that I have stopped what I am doing to listen. :blush2:

So, please don't make me choose on over the other. I want them all! :smile:

I never thought of them as being "environmentally friendly" :smile:

You'd be amazed how many books are pulped each year as the publisher over estimates how many should be printed. It's not just trees you're saving then, but also ink, water (needed to print all those books), electricity, and probably oil too, as they don't have to be trucked all over the place !

You'd be amazed how many books are pulped each year as the publisher over estimates how many should be printed. It's not just trees you're saving then, but also ink, water (needed to print all those books), electricity, and probably oil too, as they don't have to be trucked all over the place !

In all fairness, one needs electricity to keep those e-readers going and they have to be trucked all over the place, too.... 

In all fairness, one needs electricity to keep those e-readers going and they have to be trucked all over the place, too.... 

True - but you are still saving paper and ink, and it uses a lot less electricity and oil to truck (and power) one e-reader than it does to make and truck the 1500 or so books that an e-reader can store.   

Edited by Talisman

True - but you are still saving paper and ink, and it uses a lot less electricity and oil to truck (and power) one e-reader than it does to make and truck the 1500 or so books that an e-reader can store.   

That is true. The e-readers propose a bigger problem than treebooks when dismissed as broken or not needed, though. So there are advantages and disadvantages to both. 

If you'd asked me this question a couple of weeks ago, I'd have said printed book pretty much all the time, although my (keyboard) Kindle definitely came into its own when travelling.

However, I've recently acquired a paperwhite, and the improved fonts (Palatino and Baskerville added - much more readable than those on the Keyboard) and lighting have vastly improved the reading experience on the Kindle.

So now, for me, it's a bit more varied. I still on balance prefer printed books, but it's not so even:

Generally, my favourites are hardbacks, particularly of history books.

Paperbacks are good when the print and binding is of a decent standard. Too many paperbacks have smudgy print and/or tiny typeface (especially those where the pages have been photo reduced from the hardback) and/or print running into the gutter, making the book barely readable unless one breaks the spine (and I can't bring myself to do that). Thus for most easy fiction reading, I go for e-reader, as I do when I travel or need an easily handleable book. If the print and binding is good, and it's not inconvenient, I prefer printed, especially hardback, books.

Of course, there's the space consideration too.......!

Edited by willoyd

For me, it's definitely e-books. I just love the convenience of them, and that they don't take up any physical space. I also find the Kindle easier to hold and read than a paperback, where you often have to hold the pages open and can't properly relax. I've never really listened to an audio book all the way through. I find it hard to stay focused...not sure why, as loads of people enjoy them and don't seem to have that problem. :wacko: