Julie ~ "Lucky" 2013 ~ Booklist

julie

1- Fatal Friends,Deadly Neighbors by Ann Rule 3/5
2- He Killed Our Janny -- Sherrie Lueder 4/5
3- Almost Perfect: The True Story of the Crawford Family Murders 4/5
4- Wicked Women of Northeast Ohio -Jane Ann Turzillo 4/5
5-Missing You: Australia's Most Mysterious Unsolved Missing Persons Cases -Justine Ford 4/5

6-Archie & Amelie Love & Madness in the Gilded Age  -- Donna Lucey  5/5 *

7-Clueless in New England --Michael Dooling  4/5

8-Blood Vows - A Haunting Memoir of Marriage and Murder - Cummings 3/5

9-When Evil Came to Good Hart -Mardi Link --4/5

10-Canada -Richard Ford --- 4/5

11-Little Girl Lost: The True Story of the Vandling Murder- Tammy Mal ----4/5

12  -Australia's Strangest Mysteries #1   ---  John Pinkney -----     4/5

13 -Australia's Strangest Mysteries #2  -----    "   "   "

14 - Wisconsin Death Trip -1/5

15 -The Lost Rocks: The Dare Stones and the Unsolved Mystery of Sir Walter Raleigh's Lost Colony

David La Vere -5/5
16 Careless Whispers-  Carlton Stowers  5/5
17 -Killer Files: Abduction & Murder in South Carolina  --- John Humphrey 1/5
18 - A Paranormal File - John Pinkney 1/5
19-Wish Her Safe at Home - Stephen Benatar --  ???? NO CLUE what rating this should get  ????
20- The Bolter - Frances Osborne   5/5
21- The Astronaut Wives Club -Lily Koppel 4/5
22-Crapalachia : a Biography of Place  ,by Scott McClanahan . 5/5
23-Shorecliff by Ursula DeYoung --3/5
24- This Book Will Change Your Life , Again  --Benrik  3 ?  / 5
25-The Glass Café --by Gary Paulsen 4/5
26- Liar, Liar -- Gary Paulsen 4/5
27-Burial Rites by Hannah Kent 5/5
28 - A Short History of a Small Place - T. R . Pearson  5/5
29. Asylum --Madeleine Roux   2/5
30- The Reading Promise : My Father and the Books We Shared  -----  Alice Ozma    ----- A + (Starting a new grading scale )
31 - Free Country : A Penniless Adventure the length of Britain -George Mahood  4/5
32- History Decoded :The Ten Greatest Conspiracies of All Time  by Brad Meltzer 4/5
33- Gone : A Heartbreaking Story of the Civil War -- Shelby Foote  / Nell Dickerson 4/5
34-Paper Towns   by John Green    5/5
35 -A Christmas Memory , One Christmas , A Thanksgiving Visitor  - Truman Capote -- 5/ 5

Edited by julie

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reviews

Fatal Friends,Deadly Neighbors by Ann Rule 3/5

If any of you have read any of Ann Rule's true crime files,you'll know about what you get with these. She's a good writer,but these books have several stories all in one book . The main ones she takes the longest discussing are the Susan Powell case ,then the one about the little boy who fell ? off a balcony in his home, and his dad's live-in girlfriend was found hanging in the same house the next day .

I've seen both of these on several tv shows, so a big part of the book was a repeat,so to speak,but still good since it's Ann Rule's writing .

He Killed Our Janny 4/5

This book was another typical husband kills wife story,sadly becoming an all-too-familiar scenario . Frustrating that the lady stayed with the guy for decades of abuse,the kids suffering the worst in the long run from it .Still a well written book,that's why the higher rating .

Almost Perfect: The True Story of the Crawford Family Murders 4/5

This book was about a true crime that took place in australia, I think in 1970 . An entire family comes up missing from their home,but soon,someone spots their car hanging off a cliff over the ocean . The police step in,haul the car up the cliff,and find MOST of the family members inside .They easily determined that their injuries were not from the car accident .

The writer could have done a bit better job on piecing the story together , but it was still an interesting case ,and reamains (sort-of) an unsolved crime this many years later . They are 100 % sure they know WHO dunnit, they just have never found him . Good story .

4 --Wicked Women of Northeast Ohio -Jane Ann Turzillo 4/5

Well, I made a library trip yesterday and found some new true crime books ,so I picked them up. This one was the first . I thought it had a catchy title,and since I live in northeast Ohio, I thought it'd be neat to read some history of our area,and I wasn't disappointed. This book has 10 cases of women behaving badly, let's say .

I learned quite a bit by reading it,because the main way that a woman commits a murder is usually the least "messy" way,so they tend to use poison ,or sometimes a gun .

Not all THESE ladies did that. All the cases took place in the late 1880's up to about 1910 . They gave a wide assortment of cases of women killers,and many weapons . One used a hatchet,one a knife, one an axe,then poison for a couple .

Most of the stories were ladies who killed because of or FOR a man ... they were either angry because their husband cheated on them or THOUGHT he had . My favorite story was one in which a lady wanted to go to a Bridge Party and her husband didnt want to go,and told her he didnt like her firends she hung out with,so she tied him up in the bedsheets and beat him to death with a table -leg. I guess she showed HIM ,didnt she ?

It was also interesting to read about the jury trials because in those days, they had all-men juries . Also this was around the time when women were pushing for more rights and to be treated as an equal to a man. I think there were lots of men who "ruled the roost" at home,and ladies didnt like it,so the ladies on trial usually had large fan clubs of women who loved going to watch their trials and cheer them on .

The ladies rarely EVER got a stiff sentence ,lots of times none at all, others just a short time in jail for murder ,and they became celebrities of a sort ,maybe because they were brave enough to stand up for their rights,although picking up an axe might be standing a little too firmly .

Anyhow, a very interesting book .

Edited by julie

Oh my you are super quick off the mark Julie :) May I be the first to wish you a very happy reading year :friends0: I love all your reading ideas and categories.

Any book whose title has a word that could describe the weather .. Les Miserables? :D

Thanks for the well wishes Miss Poppy,and yes, I do believe Les Miserables would qualify to describe our weather on some days ,although today it is beautiful blue skies and bright sunshine. Just don't step out the door or you'll freeze your gizzards off .

I thought I'd toss out some ideas this year to make the book selection a little more fun . Still have to finish 5 more books for this year before beginning the next . :)

My my, these threads get earlier every year.. ;)

In all seriousnesss, good luck on your 2013 reading, and all the best with the (very interestingly looking) challenges.

Janet

Thanks for the comment - I wanted to make things a little different this year than last. Still kept it pretty loose and easy to find a book to fill in each gap, I think ? We'll see . :)

Doesn't that movie of Les Miserables look SO good ? Saw the commercial on tv the other night .

Ben

Thanks for stopping by and your well wishes . I know it's early, but I started thinking about it the other day,and started getting some ideas together, so thought I'd go ahead and post them now so there's a spot ready when needed . I can't jump the gun yet,Still 5 to go for this year ,which reminds me, I need to get busy on those first !

Edited by julie

Ooh, I love this time of year - when everyone starts their new reading threads! I felt like Christmas had come early when I saw your thread, Julie. :) What an interesting list of challenges you have! :D I can't wait to follow your progress next year. Best of luck!

Janet

Thanks for the comment - I wanted to make things a little different this year than last. Still kept it pretty loose and easy to find a book to fill in each gap, I think ? We'll see . :)

Doesn't that movie of Les Miserables look SO good ? Saw the commercial on tv the other night .

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly at it. :) And yes, it looks amazing - I can't wait to see it! :D

Kylie

Thanks for the well wishes ! It is always kinda refreshing looking at the beginning of a new year coming . Always hopes for some good things ahead .

Janet

Thanks --I'll try to pick some interesting books this coming year . :) Hope you like the movie .

Kylie

Thanks for the well wishes ! It is always kinda refreshing looking at the beginning of a new year coming . Always hopes for some good things ahead .

Well said! I have been a little depressed about my reading this year, so I'm looking forward to a fresh start in 2013. :)

Kylie

why are you depressed ? The books you have been reading lately weren't as good as you hoped, or are you in a kind of reading slump and nothing is catching your attention ?

I will keep my fingers crossed that the new year brings you a renewed enjoyment of reading and you read all 5-star books !

Plenty of books have been grabbing my attention, but with a lack of reading time, I do feel as though I've been in a year-long slump. And yep, I've been disappointed in some books too. Not to worry. Things can only improve next year! :)

Plenty of books have been grabbing my attention, but with a lack of reading time, I do feel as though I've been in a year-long slump. And yep, I've been disappointed in some books too. Not to worry. Things can only improve next year! :)

Kylie

That's the spirit . Don't give up .Things will get better ,you'll see . Here's hoping you have lots more reading time this coming year and hit a jackpot of good books .. :)

I love your categories and how organised you are :) happy reading for next year :)

Thanks , for the backup Laura -- I 'm gonna try my hardest to stick with the plan .

Some fantastic categories there Julie, you have one heck of an imagination! :D

Thanks Chalie

Yea, once I get the gears in my brain clanking, I can come up with some ideas .. My brain is a little like the TinMan -- it sits for a long time without thinking very hard,so when I need to come up with a list of ideas like this ,I need to hunt up the oil can for my gears . :)

Hi Kidsmum and James

Thanks for the well wishes. I think it'll be fun to find books that will fit into some of the categories. I tried making it loose enough that it'd be easy to put many books into the slots if need be . We'll see how it goes .

I have to get my Rear in Gear and get 2012 finished first !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Julie! Love how you've sorte your reading for next year, very original to have completely different categories for each month. I've got some vague ideas of what I want to read, and some challenges I'm going to start, but nowhere near as organised as you. :D

Hope you're well - tried to send you a PM but it won't let me for some reason but I'll try again tomorrow.

Hi Claire

Thanks for stopping in and for the nice remarks about my reading ideas for the coming year . I thought since this year was the first one I have kept a record of each book read, I'd try to ratchet it up for the coming year and add some little doodads to make this next year a little more interesting .

Sorry about the messenger -- I had it turned off for awhile,but went back in and turned it back on . I go in and fiddle with stuff from time to time and forget to change things back .