Robert McCammon

Hi Guys,

I have just finished reading the new George RR Martin book and I have had my fill of fantasy books for a while. I have heard a lot about Robert McCammon, and was wondering what book you would recommend that I read first.

Thank you so much in advance,

Andy

Hi Andy

The only one of his I have read is Boy's Life and it was REALLY good . As I recall, it didn't have a whole lot of scarey parts in it,but it was a really wonderful story . I think some of his others tend to lean more towards horror ? possibly ...

Anyhow, that's the only one I can comment on . Good luck !

Thanks TinSoldier, because I have nothing to read at the moment and I am torturing myself looking at Amazon, I will get Boy's Life on both of your recommendations.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Andy <3

Stinger's fab.

I have just finished reading the new George RR Martin book and I have had my fill of fantasy books for a while.

I'm not surprised, after reading that one!

• 2 weeks later...

Just returning to this thread to say that I'm listening to Swan Song at the moment. As a book in itself, it's gotten off to a really good start - the world has just been destroyed by a nuclear war, and the survivors are starting to emerge.

However.. not only is it similar to The Stand, but the whole thing feels like a Stephen King book. I can't decide if that's a good thing, because it means it's well written, or a bad thing because he's 'copying' King. I'd love to find someone else who's read it, and see what they think!

I read Swan Song last year, and was very surprised at the similarities to The Stand. The only real difference was how the 'apocalypse' started, but all of the other elements were very, very similar. I really enjoyed Swan Song, because I love post-apocalyptic stories, but it wasn't anywhere as good as The Stand. The Stand had more fleshed out and likeable characters I think, and there wasn't a big leap in time, like there was in Swan Song, which made me feel like I'd missed out on what could possibly have been the most interesting parts of the story.