Upstairs Downstairs

Ruth

Is anyone watching this series on Sunday nights? I wasn't sure after watching the first episode, it all seemed a bit silly, but episode 2 was terrific (I cried at the end). I've recorded episode 3 to watch at the weekend. It's a shame that Eileen Atkins is no longer in it, or Jean Marsh, but Alex Kingston's character has really grown on me.

I suppose it has been unfavourably compared with Downton Abbey, as well as having the success of its own previous incarnation to live up to, but I think this is a period drama that's worth giving a try. It's more serious than Downton for the most part, with actual real life historical characters. Anyone else been watching?

ha ha ha

I watched it when it was on Christmas before last and I have been meaning to catch this series on the I-player as it clashes wtih Homelands at the moment but to be honest there doesn't seem to be much of a buzz about it so I don't know if I will get around to watching it.

I have been watching it; I am a Downton Abbey fan as well, and enjoy them both. Like you, the Alex Kingston character has really grown on me - I didn't have much time for her before, but like her a lot now.

ha ha ha

I watched it when it was on Christmas before last and I have been meaning to catch this series on the I-player as it clashes wtih Homelands at the moment but to be honest there doesn't seem to be much of a buzz about it so I don't know if I will get around to watching it.

Yeah, we've been recording Homelands when it's repeated on a Monday night, so that we can record Upstairs Downstairs on a Sunday. It's not had brilliant reviews, and I did think the first episode of this series was verging on daft, but it's really picked up now :)

I have been watching it; I am a Downton Abbey fan as well, and enjoy them both. Like you, the Alex Kingston character has really grown on me - I didn't have much time for her before, but like her a lot now.

I think Alex Kingston plays the part so well :) I like Mr Amanjit too. I'm also a fan of Downton Abbey, which seems a bit lighter in tone that Upstairs Downstairs, and less political. Be interesting to see how the story develops, and I'm crossing my fingers for another series :)

Yeah, we've been recording Homelands when it's repeated on a Monday night, so that we can record Upstairs Downstairs on a Sunday. It's not had brilliant reviews, and I did think the first episode of this series was verging on daft, but it's really picked up now :)

If I get time at the weekend I might try watching them.

re Alex Kingston I always finds she takes a little warming too in each roll, I don't know why.

Its growing on me. I use it as a sort of patch to get me through Downton withdrawal. But it makes for the sort of viewing I enjoy doing my Sunday maintainance jobs to.

Those toenails don't paint 'emselves you know. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi VF :) No it's not a remake, it's more of a continuation. It takes place after the original series (basically this series is set just leading up to and during the beginning of WWII). It's at the same house, but with different people - the family living there now are somehow related to those from the original series, but I forget how exactly.

They did a 3 episode series at Christmas 2010, which Rose came back for. She appeared briefly in this latest series, but the actress had had a stroke in real life, so wasn't able to do more than a few brief scenes. She has said that if they make another series, she would be in it full time.

I like it a lot; however, I never saw the original series, so don't have that to compare it to.

Thanks Ruth and Vladd. Interesting! Now I have thought about it lots of memories of the original series have came flooding back. I don't know if it will have stood the test of time but I would like to see some of both the old and the new. In the original series Rose was very stern but had a good heart underneath. Mrs Bridges was on old bag. I was only little but I used to have a crush on Miss Georgina (Lesley -Anne Downe) I used to think she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

I remember a Christmas episode where Miss Georgina and the new maid (Daisy?) took it upon themselves to go take some food to Daisy's poor family in the back streets of London and went missing for several hours and came back in a state. That was quite a powerful episode.