Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I'm read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor and I'm really enjoying it. Her detailing is beautifully effortless, I've never got such a good image of settings from so few words, shes a really natural writer, I'm glad I choose this book because its fulfulling all of my cravings for something new and fresh at the moment

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just started on Robert Graysmith's The Girl in Alfred Hitchcock's Shower, a true-life crime mystery based around the story of Marli Renfro, a small-time actress who was Janet Leigh's body double in Hitchcock's legendary film Psycho. As the blurb has it:

Marli Renfro was a model who played a part in one of the most iconic scenes in American movies- as Janet Leigh's nude body double in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho-only to fade into obscurity, a footnote in Hollywood history. It wasn't until 1988 that Marli Renfro made news again-raped and murdered by a serial killer with a fetish for the classic Hitchcock shocker. But as Graysmith investigated Marli's story, a nagging doubt entered his mind. What if Marli was still alive? What if another woman had been murdered in her place? And if Marli was still alive, would he ever find her?

I've just started on Robert Graysmith's The Girl in Alfred Hitchcock's Shower, a true-life crime mystery based around the story of Marli Renfro, a small-time actress who was Janet Leigh's body double in Hitchcock's legendary film Psycho. As the blurb has it:

Marli Renfro was a model who played a part in one of the most iconic scenes in American movies- as Janet Leigh's nude body double in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho-only to fade into obscurity, a footnote in Hollywood history. It wasn't until 1988 that Marli Renfro made news again-raped and murdered by a serial killer with a fetish for the classic Hitchcock shocker. But as Graysmith investigated Marli's story, a nagging doubt entered his mind. What if Marli was still alive? What if another woman had been murdered in her place? And if Marli was still alive, would he ever find her?

This sounds fascinating, Roland. Is the entire thing non-fiction? Were there really doubts as to whether Marli actually died?

This sounds fascinating, Roland. Is the entire thing non-fiction? Were there really doubts as to whether Marli actually died?

I too would like to know this!

I too would like to know this!

Give us a chance, I've only just started it! At the moment, I'm still on the bit where a beautiful redhead is wandering naked round the set of Psycho. For some reason I'm finding it quite a slow read.

You'll be the first to know when I've finished it.

Finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I found it a charming read, the children's characters beautifully drawn. The ending was very open so I'm hoping there are plans for a sequel! :-))

About a third of the way through The Forest of Hands and Teeth, it's so so at the moment but it's just about holding my interest...

Edited by chaliepud

Fruska

Not sure if you know about this or would have any interest,but there is a book written fairly recently (maybe in the past year or 2) titled Drood ,by Dan Simmons, I think .

It is HUGE and I haven't read it, but I think it is a sort -of remake of Dicken's Drood ,or maybe in addition to... not sure exactly what the author's intent was, but it is certainly a whopper of a book and might be worth your time if you enjoyed Drood. Maybe it ties it all up neatly somehow ?

Thanks for telling me about it! I don't know if it actually finishes the novel but the concept does sound interesting.

I got a Complete Works of Dickens for my kindle and it includes John Jasper's Secret, which is someone else's attempt to finish the novel. I'm about to get stuck into that...when I've finished a few of the ones I've just started :rolleyes:

Picked up The Road by Cormac McCarthy from the library today, looks like it will be a fast read for me. Loved the movie so I am looking forward to the book.

Give us a chance, I've only just started it! At the moment, I'm still on the bit where a beautiful redhead is wandering naked round the set of Psycho. For some reason I'm finding it quite a slow read.

You'll be the first to know when I've finished it.

Haha, looks like we've got a long wait then. :giggle2::readingtwo: :readingtwo:

Finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I found it a charming read, the children's characters beautifully drawn. The ending was very open so I'm hoping there are plans for a sequel! :-))

there is! there is! :D

Thanks for telling me about it! I don't know if it actually finishes the novel but the concept does sound interesting.

I got a Complete Works of Dickens for my kindle and it includes John Jasper's Secret, which is someone else's attempt to finish the novel. I'm about to get stuck into that...when I've finished a few of the ones I've just started :rolleyes:

Hi Fruska

I also found one in which someone finished the rest of the story. You might want to give it a look also :

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Edwin-Completed-Madden-ebook/dp/B006MHXCJQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1328619736&sr=1-11

Popped into my local charity shop today and nabbed:

K-Pax by Gene Brewer (adore the movie and have wanted to read the novel for ages!)

The Devil's Footsteps by E. E. Richardson (pretty hardback book, looks like a children's horror story, has good Amazon reviews I'm relieved to say!)

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (beautiful hardback edition)

I got all three for just five euro! Delighted!

don't you just hate it when you are so close to finishing a book, and you have to stop reading! I am 2 and a bit chapters away from finishing my current book, and only 2 and a half chapters away from starting the road. But alas I need sleep.

Edited by Devi