Ben's Reading 2012

Ben

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently got The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, on the go. It's a collection of 12 of the Holmes stories and I want to read more of them this year, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I'm also reading it on my Kindle, which I've not actually used yet this year.

Synopsis:

Sherlock: The Adventures contains twelve short stories first published in "The Strand" magazine between 1891 and 1892 and then published as a collection in October 1892. It includes some of Conan Doyle's best tales of murder and mystery, such as "The Adventures of the Speckled Band", in which the strange last words of a dying woman 'It was the band, the speckled band!' and a inexplicable whistling in the night are the only clues Sherlock Holmes has to prevent another murder; and, "The Five Orange Pips", in which an untimely death and the discovery of the letter containing five orange pips lead to a cross-Atlantic conspiracy.

Read a couple so far, and they're great - can tell it's going for quick bursts of reading when I don't have a lot of time.

I'm starting the Sherlock Holmes stories today...although I plan on reading everything written in chronological order :D

The books look good (I understand the desire for shelves, I don't have any either) but Pedro has taken the spotlight :lol:

Oh well that's okay then. :lol: I've pretty much just accepted the fact the TBR will go up not down this year, that way I don't set myself up for disappointment. :giggle:

Well done, it's easier for you this way. Just accept the facts and enjoy the ride :giggle:

Oh Frankie, this is just too kind. :lol: I'm kidding, what on earth are you trying to do to me? I couldn't possibly attempt this.. could I? Hmm, well, maybe, there's always room for more challenges. ;)

Haha :D I'm not sure what it is exactly that I'm trying to do, all I know is that I have this pretty envelope in my hands and I'm pushing it :giggle:

Not sure if I'm still quite sure this is a good thing though. :lol:

:D Probably not (considering you have a big TBR and some challenges already waiting for you to tackle them). But in case of a rainy day...

Edited by frankie

I'm starting the Sherlock Holmes stories today...although I plan on reading everything written in chronological order :D

The books look good (I understand the desire for shelves, I don't have any either) but Pedro has taken the spotlight :lol:

I only decided to start reading the full set after I'd already read Hound of the Baskervilles otherwise I would have done it in order too. As for Pedro, well, I knew it was a bad idea putting him near my books - all the attention is on him. :lol:

Well done, it's easier for you this way. Just accept the facts and enjoy the ride :giggle:

Well Frankie knows best. ;)

Haha :D I'm not sure what it is exactly that I'm trying to do, all I know is that I have this pretty envelope in my hands and I'm pushing it :giggle:

Well that's seemingly a good enough incentive for me, I can't resist the envelope. :lol:

:D Probably not (considering you have a big TBR and some challenges already waiting for you to tackle them). But in case of a rainy day...

Haha, that's probably true, but it does rain over here a lot so it will come in use eventually. :lol:

What do your uni friends think of your bookmania Ben? Are there any more nutters keen readers like us in your circle ?

:lol: Nobody that quite enjoys it like me. I mean, being literature students there are a fair few that obviously enjoy reading (otherwise it wouldn't have made much sense to chose the course). Although then I find a remarkable amount of people that aren't interested in reading the books for the course. I guess it's just different levels of enthusiasm, like anything else really.

In any case, my exams finished yesterday so I should have some more books read/reviews posted in the coming days. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

Just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which has taken me much longer to read than I thought, although certainly not through lack of enjoyment.

Thoughts:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's first set of Sherlock Holmes stories, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a great selection of twelve cases where the genius detective and his friend John Watson, explore a series of mysterious and crimes that all at first appear perplexing. Not to Holmes of course, whose incredible deductions from the smallest of clues, continue to amaze all those about him. He tackles cases of missing thumbs and of missing indentities, disappearing people and people who just wish they could disappear, by the time Holmes is through with them. In all but one case he is in a league of his own. 'A Scandal In Bohemia' shows us the story of the woman Miss Irene Adler, an even more intriguing character who by all accounts is someone in who Sherlock Holmes has met his match. All in all then a great collection of stories, amusingly witty and clever, of which 'A Scandal In Bohemia', 'The Adventure of the Red-Headed League', 'The Adventure of the Speckled Bard', and 'The Five Orange Pips' were my favourites. I'll be definitely looking out for Holmes adventures soon.

5/5.

Just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which has taken me much longer to read than I thought, although certainly not through lack of enjoyment.

Thoughts:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's first set of Sherlock Holmes stories, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a great selection of twelve cases where the genius detective and his friend John Watson, explore a series of mysterious and crimes that all at first appear perplexing. Not to Holmes of course, whose incredible deductions from the smallest of clues, continue to amaze all those about him. He tackles cases of missing thumbs and of missing indentities, disappearing people and people who just wish they could disappear, by the time Holmes is through with them. In all but one case he is in a league of his own. 'A Scandal In Bohemia' shows us the story of the woman Miss Irene Adler, an even more intriguing character who by all accounts is someone in who Sherlock Holmes has met his match. All in all then a great collection of stories, amusingly witty and clever, of which 'A Scandal In Bohemia', 'The Adventure of the Red-Headed League', 'The Adventure of the Speckled Bard', and 'The Five Orange Pips' were my favourites. I'll be definitely looking out for Holmes adventures soon.

5/5.

I was considering getting the Holmes books anyway - I think you may have just convinced me Ben! :smile:

I was considering getting the Holmes books anyway - I think you may have just convinced me Ben! :smile:

Yay that's what I like to hear, and there's plenty more where these twelve came from too! :smile2:

Awesome - going to download them on to my kindle :)

Enjoy! Can't wait to hear how you get on.

Decided to go with Dracula by Bram Stoker as my next read - it's a book I've wanted to read for a while but just never got around to it.

Synopsis:

Bram Stoker's 1897 Gothic shocker introduced Count Dracula to the world, an ancient creature bent on bringing his contagion to London, the very heart of the British Empire. Only a handful of men and women stand between Dracula and his long-cherished goal, but they are vulnerable and weak against the cunning and supernatural powers of the Count and his legions. As the horrifying story unfolds in the diaries and letters of young Jonathan Harker, Lucy, Mina, and Dr Seward, Dracula will be victorious unless his nemesis Professor Van Helsing can persuade them that monsters still lurk in the era of electric light.

Really looking forward to this.

Glad you enjoyed Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Ben, hopefully you will be able to read some more in the series soon :)

Thanks Laura, definitely looking forward to them, they're great stories. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

Well Frankie knows best. ;)

Oooh, yes! Respect My Authority! *goes all Cartmanish as in South Park* (I hope you know the show and the line, otherwise I sound like a 'ooh, that's rude' :D)

Haha, that's probably true, but it does rain over here a lot so it will come in use eventually. :lol:

Haha, true! You lucky you, always having the weather to 'blame'! :)

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Sherlock Holmes! And I can't wait to see what you think of Dracula. I thought it would be a really hard and boring read and I was happy to be wrong :)

Oooh, yes! Respect My Authority! *goes all Cartmanish as in South Park* (I hope you know the show and the line, otherwise I sound like a 'ooh, that's rude' :D)

I get you don't worry. :lol:

Haha, true! You lucky you, always having the weather to 'blame'! :)

Never thought I'd actually have something to thank the weather for over here! :lol:

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Sherlock Holmes! And I can't wait to see what you think of Dracula. I thought it would be a really hard and boring read and I was happy to be wrong :)

Thanks! My friend raves about Dracula regularly and is probably going to lose the will to live if I don't read it this year - so of course it'll be rude to not. :smile2:

Unfortunately going to have to put Bram Stoker's Dracula on hold before it's really started (my friend isn't going to be pleased..). I've just received two books in the post, one of which is The Maltese Fiction by Dashiell Hammett which is for university, and a copy of Alex Connor's new book Legacy of Blood. If you missed the earlier post, I reviewed her other thriller The Rembrandt Secret last year and enjoyed it immensely. As a result she sent me her new one to review for BCF! :smile2:

Synopsis:

The race is on.

The body count is rising.

No one can be trusted.

The flight to London was supposed to be a short cut home, but for the seven passengers gathered at an art auction it becomes the most terrifying journey they will ever make. An incident on the flight reveals the existence of a priceless artefact - and blows open a conspiracy that has been hidden for centuries. Every passenger on the plane is now caught up in a race to find the prize for themselves - but within 24 hours of the flight, three people have been silenced by someone who knows the devestating consequences should the fully story ever come to life.

Really excited to read this one, and it's a review book I'll get cracking right away I should think.

Phew! I've only just caught up on your reading thread, Ben. Great to see it so busy and that you've had some time to read a few great books already.

I hope you'll get back to Dracula soon; it's one of my all-time faves! And of course you already know that I'll be following your Sherlock Holmes journey. :)

Thanks for posting the pic of your uni setup. I'd love to hear more about your uni experiences, but I suspect you've been writing about that in your other thread (I've been neglecting that section of the forum lately). Pedro is adorable!!

Happy reading, mate!

Hey Kylie, hope everything is well and good with you. :smile2:

I'm excited to get going with Dracula again soon because I've always felt that I've been missing out on something special from not getting around to it. It's been recommended highly by, well everyone I know that's read it so far. :lol:

I've actually not really been writing much about uni, although it has been exams recently so I guess I was more happy to get them over with, and didn't fancy writing about them much. :lol: When my new semester gets cracking, I'll probably be talking a lot about my modules. Incidentally, they are: Romanticism (Byron, Shelley, Keats, etc.), Crime Fiction (which is a bit different, and involes Sherlock Holmes of course), Bildungsroman (which I honestly had to look up to even know what it means - but we're reading Dickens and Charlottle Bronte among others), and last but certainly not least, my Shakespeare module that I'm really looking forward too. :smile2:

Happy reading right back at you! :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Couple of things to update the old book blog with today, although it's mainly purchases (most for university, but the odd couple that I felt obliged to snap up), more than anything else if I'm honest.

The Norton Anthology of English Literature: Volume D, The Romantic Period. Had to buy this for university for my 'Romanticism' module, and it looks absolutely fantastic. Blake, Wordsworth, Keats, etc. Looks like I'll have some fun with this, this year.

The Norton Shakespeare: Comedies. Bought for my university course once again, my 'Shakespeare' module of course. I really like the look of this; I've always wanted to study/read more Shakespeare so this semester is the perfect opportunity.

Farewell, My Lovely. - Raymond Chandler. Bought for my 'Crime Fiction' module.

Devil in a Blue Dress. - Walter Mosley. Bought once more for my 'Crime Fiction' module.

Jane Eyre. - Charlotte Bronte. For my 'Bildungsroman' module.

Great Expectations. - Charles Dickens. For my 'Bildungsroman' module.

Sons and Lovers. - D. H. Lawrence. For my 'Bildungsroman' module.

Birdsong. - Sebastian Faulks. Always wanted to read this and finally got around to buying it in Waterstones.

Before I Go To Sleep. - S J Watson. Heard good things about this one so thought why not.

Blackwell's (the book shop), clearly took a bit of a dent out of that piece of plastic in my wallet.

In other news I've finished Alex Connor's Legacy of Blood and I'll post my thoughts/review a little later.

Edited by Ben

A couple of cracking looking modules there - Crime Fiction and Bildungsroman. All worth reading, even if with contrasting thoughts on one or two of the books (loved some, hated others). Those Bildungsroman ones are certainly ones to get one's teeth into. Your two 'extras' also definitely worth a read too. That's quite a list!

Edited by willoyd

A couple of cracking looking modules there - Crime Fiction and Bildungsroman. All worth reading, even if with contrasting thoughts on one or two of the books (loved some, hated others). Those Bildungsroman ones are certainly ones to get one's teeth into. Your two 'extras' also definitely worth a read too. That's quite a list!

They do look good don't they? I'm really excited for the Crime Fiction module because that's a bit different to anything we've done so far and let's me get stuck into books that I wouldn't have thought of reading usually. Same with the Shakespeare module; I always seem to put off reading more Shakespeare but now I don't have much choice. :lol:

I was looking through The Norton Anthology of English Literature: Volume D, Romanticism last night and it's amazing. I'm already starting to think that to own all seven (I think) volumes, would be awesome. I enjoy all aspects of English Literature, and to have a bunch of nice volumes that encompass the whole subject would be incredible. Some day..

Edited by Ben

Finally got around to writing my review of Alex Connor's Legacy of Blood which is up here on the BCF Reviews page. It's my first full review of this year, as I've just been ordinarily drafting up a few select thoughts instead, and I'm not sure how it came across. I've sent her the link nevertheless so I guess I'll just see what she thinks: I'm sure she'll be happy I really enjoyed it anyway.

In the mean time I've started properly with Dracula and I'm really starting to enjoy it.