Frankie reads 2012

frankie

Great reviews. I'm (obviously) really glad you liked Blinky Bill. :) There's a cartoon series that's always on TV, but I've never really watched it. Blinky has a really annoying voice, as I recall. :(

I'm with you on re-reading. I feel so guilty doing it, but it's so nice because you're reading books you really love (obviously - you'd be pretty silly to re-read a book you hated!)

I seem to be stating the obvious a lot tonight. :rolleyes: I just wanted to contribute to your thread (howdy! :friends3:)

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually like to write my book reviews in the order in which I've read the books, but I just finished this next novel last night and I have all the things I want to say about the book clear in my head and I thought I'd just write the review now while it's still fresh.

Death Comes to Pemberley

by P. D. James

From Amazon: A rare meeting of literary genius: P. D. James, long among the most admired mystery writers of our time, draws the characters of Jane Austen’s beloved novel Pride and Prejudice into a tale of murder and emotional mayhem.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy’s magnificent estate. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. They have two fine sons, Fitzwilliam and Charles. Elizabeth’s sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy’s sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth’s disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberley. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P. D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying it with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

Thoughts: P. D. James is a household name as is Austen, and I thought combining these two would make excellent reading. I'm known to enjoy a good mystery/crime novel/thriller, and who wouldn't like to read more about Lizzy and Darcy?

Well well well. This was my first P. D. James and it will be my last.

- It takes ~50 pages before anything really happens. And then, in the next ~100 pages the same thing (the order of events during one night) is repeated over and over again to different parties. Then there's a bloody boring trial and then in the last 50 pages P.D. finally picks up the pace and throws a few curve balls. Lah di dah.

- This novel didn't grip me as a mystery novel enthusiast OR as an Austen fan. I mean, you would think at least one of the two aspects could be found enjoyful. I found Elizabeth boring, Jane was ever the angel (c'mon, nobody's that perfect), and Darcy was bleh. Do you seriously propose that

Darcy, who hates Wickham's guts, didn't for one teeny tiny second, to himself, think that oh boy, he's done it now, good riddens?! No. Not once did he suspect Wickham was guilty.

- Probably about 50 pages altogether were re-telling the story of Pride & Prejudice. If I want to read about that, I'll read the original novel, thank you very much. If this was a serious effort to write a mystery novel, it would not be needed to have a 50 page long synopsis of another novel. And if this was a serious effort to write a sequel to P&P, we want you add to the story, not re-phrase the whole thing. For me, it just didn't work.

- The epilogue needs complete re-writing. It's another 10 pages of going through P&P, and then we have two pieces of news, both of which I saw coming. You don't have to be a genius to guess what's going to happen.

- For me, the book was a definite 1/5. Compared to this, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was a literary masterpiece. I will give P.D. one thing though: I was really happy to meet Mr Bennet again, at last. He's a sweetheart :wub: And Lady Catherine de Bourgh was also spot on.

~~~~

If you've managed to read this far, and you are one of those who have wanted to read the book, here's my advice: I've now managed to seriously lower your expectations, right? So it might just be that you will find the novel completely amazing. Go and read the book and see how you like it yourself :)

Edit: I'm now trying to search for other people's reviews & thoughts on the novel to do a little comparing and contrasting, but the search engine and me have never been great pals... mostly my fault I think... I hope I can find some, though! I know at least poppyshake was reading the book in January but I've still to find her actual review...

Edited by frankie

Not sure if you found the reviews in the end, frankie, but here are the ones I could find:

Vodkafan

Willoyd

I think Pickle has also read it, but I couldn't find a review.

I'm still going to read it, as it's on my Jane Austen list of books, so you haven't put me off! We all like different things, so you never know, I might like it. :lol:

Thank you so much, chesilbeach, for searching for the reviews for me, as a matter of fact I didn't find any! So I appreciate it very much :smile2:

it seems like I'm the one who's liked it the least, willoyd and vodkafan seemed to enjoy the novel. I am now wondering if I was overly harsh, but ... I can't help it, I didn't like the book and I don't want to sugarcoat my thoughts on it. However, it is as you said, chesilbeach, each to their own. I hope you enjoy the book! :)

Oh dear I don't think Frankie will agree with either Willoyd's or my reviews we were both a bit more forgiving :o

Nope, I don't agree with your reviews, but I enjoyed reading them and it just shows yet again that different people enjoy different things. And it's not like I don't want anyone to enjoy the novel just because I didn't :D I'm not that bitchy :haha:

I think with me I was at the time very pleased to be reading about the characters again and forgave a lot. But it cannot be denied the plot is weak. The character that engaged me most was Wickham, so that perhaps shows that not enough was done with the main characters of Darcy and Elizabeth. Maybe PD James was in the end too frightened to change much.

I think I was expecting quite a lot, too much maybe. And I'm not even sure how that can be, I'd heard of the novel before but it wasn't until about a month ago when I was at a friend's bachelorette party and one of the people there said they were very much looking forward to reading the novel, that I really remembered there was such a book out there and decided I should read it. And I quite forgot about it until I noticed that reserving books from the library is free of charge til the end of the year and went over my wishlist and reserved the book. I wonder what Jeffery Deaver would've done with the concept... :giggle:

I don't think P.D. James should've changed too much about the story, it would've been too out there. I read in the book cover or somewhere that she is quite a fan of Austen, as well, so I think she did it all with a lot of respect and regard to the original story. I suppose I'm mostly miffed about the many, many pages that were spent re-telling the story in P&P, and that it took such a long time before the murder took place, and then it was recounting the events for 100 pages. There ought to have been some more action. But then again, it's a mystery taking place in the 19th century, it's not like James could've introduced DNA stuff and the lot in the novel.

I haven't read the reviews on Amazon, but it seems you agreed more with them judging by the comments about them from Willoyd and VF!

I'm getting rather curious about the Amazon reviews! I hope it's not the downfall of P.D. James and she keeps on turning out novels.

We have a number of celebrities that are no getting involved in trying to save our libraries, but at the end of the day it comes down to money, as always, and libraries are not big profit makers!

Bad luck with Matilda, losing approximately 80% of the book wouldn't give you much of a story!

I hate it that it all comes down to money, although unfortunately that is the reality these days. :(

Yep, 80% off the story is too much! :D I also read somewhere that Matilda's reading is commented on the book a lot and I'm afraid all the lovely bookish referances are the first ones to get the ax when they are paraphrasing and shortening the story, and that won't do! I love reading about characters who enjoy reading and I always want to know what books they read and what they thought of them!

Blech. Yep, wait until you get the full version.

A similar thing happened to me the other day. I was excited to find Garth Stein's Racing the Rain in the $5 shop. I thought it was strange that it didn't have the full title of The Art of Racing in the Rain but just put it down to being a 'foreign' edition. Then I noticed it said it was a special kid's version.

That is so annoying! :( I wonder how much of it has to do with the publisher's sort of intentionally bluffing and trying to make people by the wrong book, then realising what they've done and then buying the real book. I know I sound very cynical but business is business :(

I'm moving into the city in a few months (away from the small town I currently am in) and am investigating the library system way before we move in! I was dreadfully concerned the nearest library was miles away when I clicked to find one in their website, but then I realised the council counts "local" libraries and "central" libraries as in different sections of the website and my local one would be the massive one right in the centre. It always makes me really sad when I hear of local libraries under threat. Obviously I'm not naive and know cuts have to be made at the moment but we're potentially removing a vital service from future generations. Grrrr.

Local libraries and central libraries? What? What's the difference :D Sounds too confusing to me. There should be available a certain system where you can type in your address and click, and then they give you the address (preferably with a map!) of your nearest library :giggle:

I hate shortened versions. I think if kids are old enough to appreciate the story and can't read it themselves get an adult - there are plenty of books designed to be short for kids learning to read.

I whole heartedly agree. It's like baking a cake and then hiding 80% of it and giving you 20%. While the 80% goes in the bin. That's just bonkers.

Great reviews. I'm (obviously) really glad you liked Blinky Bill. There's a cartoon series that's always on TV, but I've never really watched it. Blinky has a really annoying voice, as I recall.

Why did we not watch the show? :o

I'm with you on re-reading. I feel so guilty doing it, but it's so nice because you're reading books you really love (obviously - you'd be pretty silly to re-read a book you hated!)

I know. I feel all time should be spent reading new books, TBR is huuuuge and doesn't get any smaller by itself, but re-reading a favorite is so comfortable. One should do it more often!

I seem to be stating the obvious a lot tonight. I just wanted to contribute to your thread (howdy! )

You are always welcome to come here and state the obvious :giggle::friends3:

Okay, I am ready to be the humble receiver of your 'told you so!'s. I promised I wouldn't buy books unless I've either lost 0,5kg or have read 4 books off TBR pile. I've now broken that promise.

This is my story.

So my remote control's been broken for a few months now and I've been changing the channels from the actual digital box which is a bore and I also haven't been able to record shows or watch already recorded stuff on box. A clever friend of mine suggested earlier today that I should just write down the details of my digibox and go to some store and get a new one, they can't be that expensive. And because later this evening I want to watch Criminal Minds but also see this show that's shown at the same time on a different channel, I really started fancying the idea of getting the whole thing sorted today. I would then also be able to watch some good old Easter TV (that is, if there are any great movies shown this weekend).

So I went to Gigantti, my electrical appliance store of choice (it's convenient, that's where I bought my digibox from and it's only 10 minutes walk). I managed to catch the attention of someone in the staff immediately, and he was nice, pleasant to do business with and actually kind of cute. He even laughed at my jokes, har har :giggle: The remote control wasn't too cheap but what the heck, I could afford it.

I was feeling good, the sun was shining and I thought I'd check out the recycling center near by, just in case they had a full length mirror I could acquire. Well, I stopped to browse the books first. I've never, ever liked their book section and I've never bought anything there. It's such a random selection, and random in a bad way, it's not very well organized, there are hardly any English novels around, the books are usually in a bad shape and there are no price tags so it's virtually impossible to know how much they want for their books. Lord knows why I bothered.

However, I quickly noticed a copy of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity. A nice paperback. In English!! And I was like, 'wow' :cool: No price tag (no surprise!), but I figured I could always ask at the counter and just not buy it if they charge too much.

Next I noticed a section where they had used copies of text books for highschools etc. And I found a copy of this psychology series I read when I was in highschool, and which I really enjoyed reading back then, and which I've started to collect for my own amusement. And it was a book my collection lacked so far, so I grabbed it.

Next I found a copy of Salaisuus varjossa, the first novel in the Secret series by the Swedish Maria Gripe. This is one of my favorite young adult novel series in the world, I've been collecting the books for a few years now. There are four books to the series and I've so far managed to acquire the last two novels and I've been dying to find the first two. So I was completely ecstatic!

The next find I still can't get over. I must be hallucinating. A copy, a beautiful paperback copy of Sputnik Sweetheart, by Haruki Murakami. In excellent condition. The price tag at the back said 50cnt. I almost shrieked but managed to keep quiet. An amazing find!!

next I found a copy of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. You can find at least two copies of this book in Finnish in any given secondhand bookshop, but it's harder to come by a nice English copy, but somehow, there it was this time.

Last but not least, I found Fröken Julie and Ett drömspel, the omnibus by August Strindberg. This was compulsory reading on a Swedish literature course I took some years ago. I only read Fröken Julie at the time, and as soon as the course was over I got rid of the boook, thinking I'll never miss it. I was wrong. I had actually enjoyed Fröken Julie, and Ett Drömspel was supposed to be really great, too. So I've always regretted getting rid of the book and I was happy to find a copy now.

So. I had six books on me, only two of them had price tags, mounting to 60cnt, together. But I noticed the price tags seemed old and they weren't named the same so I thought maybe they are old price tags from the previous secondhand shop they've been bought from. I decided I'd just go to the counter and ask what the prices were. I was willing to spend 1-1,50e on each book, 2e for the psychology book, and even 3e for the Murakami. The lady at the counter confirmed my suspicions and said they were not their prices. She then said..

wait for it... wait for it....

... that the books were 20cnt each. !!! Holy mothercuddler!! 1,20e for 6 amazing books! I maintained my composure but as soon as I got out of the store (having thanked the lady and wished her a very merry Easter and smiled like a lunatic) and past their windows, I did go 'holy mothercuddler [the nasty version]' like 10 times.

This is a great start for a relaxing Easter holiday.

Also, I've read all of the books except for Ett Drömspel, so my TBR can totally handle the situation :D Oh, and all the books were in the original language, except for Salaisuus varjossa but I'm collecting that series in Finnish anyways. So at least I didn't compromise my promise to buy books only in their original language. Ha!

Edit: Oh and what about the full length mirror you went to look for in the first place, you ask. Well who cares, I got six amazing novels!!! :lol:

Edit: My only concern is that just a few hours ago I was reading Kylie's reading log and being totally smug about having bought less books than her this year, and basically saying I'm being very strict this year and sticking to a regime. :blush:

Edited by frankie

OMG, I can't believe that I got the remote control working, on my own! I can now record TV shows and watch stuff at the same time and I have loads of movies already on my digibox waiting to be watched! Wohoo happy Easter for me :lol:

Oh and I forgot one other positive aspect about my book shopping spree at the recycling center. As I was going through the last shelf, I noticed this guy coming over to look at the bookcases. I wouldn't have paid him no attention but I realised it's this same guy whom I keep running into in all secondhand bookshops and charityshops, and he always checks out the book section. I find him annoying, he never smiles and when I need to move past him he never courteously makes himself as close to the bookcases as can be so I would have more room to pass him, and he never acknowledges other people. I try to be as courteous as possible and always smile, at least a little, when moving past someone, just because it's books and if people are looking at books they have something in common with me.

So I was really happy that I'd gotten there earlier than him and I had perhaps managed to snatch a few books that he might've been interested in. Ha!

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too harsh on him. Suppose he is my soul mate? Going by how often I run into him at bookshops. Oh man. I don't want him to be my soul mate. He never smiles! I refuse him to be my soul mate.

Edited by frankie

:giggle2:

Have you seen this bookshop guy's reflection? Maybe he's a vampire. Then it would be a Buffy internal monologue. Stake him. Dusted. All done. Oh, hang on, Buffy didn't read so much, did she? :doh:

But why? He's not my soul mate. And he doesn't smile. For all intents and purposes he looks like he is in a whole world of his own and prefers it that way and I don't want to go over to the dark side :D

but maybe it's your destiny to make him smile!!

Then I'm going to be pretty upset that that is my destiny :haha: Why can't I have some fun, cool destiny like everybody else!

Perhaps he's heard about your David Mitchell partiality and he's trying to look studious and not frivolous :smile:

Full length mirrors are overrated .. I hadn't a clue what my bottom half did until I acquired one .. and then I wished I'd remained in ignorance :D .. worse than that are the changing room ones where they put several in so you can see yourself from the back .. NO-ONE want's to see themselves from the back .. not even Victoria Beckham :D

You wouldn't want Angelina as a scorned ex-wife .. I'm pretty sure she hasn't got a mirror reflection :D and you are not to go wasting your destiny on a man who doesn't smile in bookshops .. any soulmate worth his salt will at least start off cheerful .. there's plenty of time for being morose later :D But then you say you always see him .. perhaps it's not a co-incidence .. perhaps he plans it :wub: