Book about sociopath?

• 3 weeks later...

East Of Eden by John Steinbeck has a major character who is a sociopath but she's not the main character. (It's a long time ago since I read the book but I don't know if there really is a main character)

Edited by ~Andrea~

Not exactly. :) Psychopath is a fairly overused term, from what I've gathered about psychiatry. You use it about someone who is "crazy" when actually the term applies to people whose vision of reality is distorted (they believe all sorts of things that are wrong, eg. theyve been possessed by the devil and are forced to do evil things - they can't be held accountable for their actions). A sociopath is a person with a personality disorder that lowers their empathy and gives them very undesirable character traits. They may be mass murderers etc.

edit

I stand corrected, by wikipedia actually. I double checked psychopath, and it is its own thing, not necessarily connected to psychosis. It's very similar to antisocial personality disorder, but not identical.

Edited by Hyzenthlay