Emelee's Reading List

• 1 year later...

I have now read 6 out of the 10 Sjöwall & Wahlöö's Martin Beck crime novels. I am loving them. Easy to read, and you can really tell that they shaped the scandinavian crime novels. 

I recenly also read The Great Gatsby and Breakfast at Tiffany´s in my quest to read more classics. I thought both would be awesome, but I found them both to be mediocre. Not bad at all, I just had too high hopes I believe. 

I recenly also read The Great Gatsby and Breakfast at Tiffany´s in my quest to read more classics. I thought both would be awesome, but I found them both to be mediocre. Not bad at all, I just had too high hopes I believe.

It's a while since I read both (I studied The Great Gatsby for A-level), but, whilst I love classics generally (although I tend to prefer earlier), I didn't rate either of these particularly. Indeed, I positively disliked Gatsby. But then, I'm not sure I would classify Breakfast at Tiffany's as a classic - too recent if nothing else.

Having said that, I'd suggest that the classics are as diverse as any other range of books - it doesn't matter which one you go for, there will still be a substantial number of readers who don't rate it, as any book group will witness! Even within the lovers of a particular author, there will be a divergence of opinion over some of that author's books.  So don't be too disappointed - there are plenty of others (and IMO far better ones too!).

Edited by willoyd

I agree. You can't really say "I love the classics" and actually love ALL of them. 

I want to have read many classics though. Both old and more modern. I have it in my head that I will be a better teacher if I've read many classics.