The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

We did indeed watch Baz Luhrmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet this evening. First time I've seen it in ages, had completely forgotten how great Claire Danes was in it, and the fabulous Miriam Margolyes and Pete Postlethwaite. Fab soundtrack as well, love the choir boys singing When Doves Cry as a hymn.

I've been meaning to rewatch this for ages. Actually, I'd like to see Moulin Rouge and Strictly Ballroom again, too.

Just watched a classic Sunday afternoon film - Paris When It Sizzles, never seen it before, but it's got Audrey Hepburn in, so it was almost certainly gonna be one I'd love!

I think I've seen that, but don't remember much of it. I watched Funny Face for the first time recently. 's marvellous. :)

I also saw Made in Paris, with Ann-Margaret (such a beautiful woman!) and I watched Avatar for the first time tonight.

I agree, Jennifer Aniston is very gifted. I think she was the most talented comedy actress of the Friends cast. Timing was spot on, and the manerisms and everything.

Meh. I disagree. I don't think she's that great and can't imagine her taking on any remotely challenging roles like Jolie does. She always seems to play the same type of character in the same roles (or maybe it's just that her acting doesn't vary). I know you hate this movie Frankie ( :o), but Jolie is brilliant in Girl, Interrupted.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meh. I disagree. I don't think she's that great and can't imagine her taking on any remotely challenging roles like Jolie does. She always seems to play the same type of character in the same roles (or maybe it's just that her acting doesn't vary). I know you hate this movie Frankie ( :o), but Jolie is brilliant in Girl, Interrupted.

But if she did a challenging role she might be great in it and you would see that, too! :giggle: And you've told me you don't even watch Friends :D

I don't think I would hate the movie if Angelina Jolie and Winona Ryder weren't in it. And for me, Winona Ryder is the main reason. I cannot stand her. Jolie is just an added 'bonus' :D I want to read the book though.

I watched Funny Face for the first time recently. 's marvellous. :)

It certainly is .. what with Audrey .. a bookshop and Paris :wub:I love it .. I love that you get to hear Audrey sing and that they don't dub her, I love the experimental dance in the jazz club and seeing the ecstasy on her face .. which was real .. when she get's to dance with Fred Astaire :smile:

Really though, the notion that she could ever be plain is a bit far fetched .. even in a black polo neck and tweed skirt she looks amazing.

We did indeed watch Baz Luhrmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet this evening. First time I've seen it in ages, had completely forgotten how great Claire Danes was in it, and the fabulous Miriam Margolyes and Pete Postlethwaite. Fab soundtrack as well, love the choir boys singing When Doves Cry as a hymn.

That is an AMAZING film. I loved Moulin Rouge as well - difficult to pick between the two.

Just watched a classic Sunday afternoon film - Paris When It Sizzles, never seen it before, but it's got Audrey Hepburn in, so it was almost certainly gonna be one I'd love!

Great film. William Holden was such a beautiful man in his day. Sadly he ruined his looks with alcohol, and died when he was only 63. He and Audrey fell in love when they made Sabrina years earlier, but she left him when she discovered that he had had a vasectomy - she wanted to have children. He tried to rekindle their romance while making Pariz When It Sizzles, but she was married by this time, and rejected him. He was devastated apparently. They are two of my very favourite actors :)

It certainly is .. what with Audrey .. a bookshop and Paris :wub:I love it .. I love that you get to hear Audrey sing and that they don't dub her, I love the experimental dance in the jazz club and seeing the ecstasy on her face .. which was real .. when she get's to dance with Fred Astaire :smile:

Really though, the notion that she could ever be plain is a bit far fetched .. even in a black polo neck and tweed skirt she looks amazing.

Audrey would look beautiful wearing a bin liner really, wouldn't she? :D That is such a great film and I adore her dance in the jazz club. It's one of those films that instantly makes me happy :)

Edited by Ruth

Just realised that I didn't actually say what the last film was that I watched! It was Stage Door, from 1937, starring Ginger Rogers, Katharine Hepburn and (a very young) Ann Miller. Quite good, not brilliant. I do like to see Ginger in more dramatic roles though - she was a very talented actress.

That is an AMAZING film. I loved Moulin Rouge as well - difficult to pick between the two.

All three of the films in his Red Curtain trilogy are amazing! I'd go for Strictly Ballroom, then Moulin Rouge!, then Romeo + Juliet

but the last two are really separated only by the smallest margin.

Great film. William Holden was such a beautiful man in his day. Sadly he ruined his looks with alcohol, and died when he was only 63. He and Audrey fell in love when they made Sabrina years earlier, but she left him when she discovered that he had had a vasectomy - she wanted to have children. He tried to rekindle their romance while making Pariz When It Sizzles, but she was married by this time, and rejected him. He was devastated apparently. They are two of my very favourite actors :)

I'd forgotten he was in the original Sabrina, it's been so long since I've seen it. I don't think I've seen many of his films, in fact, it's probably only one or two more. She's certainly one of my favourites, but Katherine Hepburn would be top of my list.

The Plague Dogs, an 1982 animated film by Martin Rosen and Nepenthe productions, the same people who did Watership Down, and based on a book also by the author of WSD!

Many of you may well have seen this film as it is older than I am, but I just saw it the other night and my poor heart. So dark and gritty (just how I like my animation!), and so emotional, so violent, but also just so well done. The song at the end, I'm slightly obessed with it. Reading the novel now. Loooooved it.

I watched two movies this weekend, which is a lot for me. Yesterday I watched Little Miss Sunshine, and I absolutely loved it. I think I might want to marry Steve Carell. This will unfortunately mean that Kylie will not agree to be my bridesmaid, but what can I do :(

Tonight I watched Bjarnfreðarson, which might be the first Icelandic movie I've ever seen, I'm not sure. It took a while to get into but It was pretty good in the end :)

Hello, Dolly! with Barbra Streisand and Walter Matthau (and directed by Gene Kelly). One of the last big musicals in Hollywood, until the more recent ones such as Chicago, Moulin Rouge! etc. I liked it a lot, although it is quite long for a musical. Lovely singing and dancing. There was lots of tension on set though - Matthau detested Streisand and refused to talk to her unless the script demanded it. He and Michael Crawford (also in the film) went to a horse race during filming and Crawford put a bet on a horse because it was called Hello Dolly. Matthau refused to place a bet on the horse because he said the name reminded him of Streisand, and after the horse won, he refused to talk to Crawford for the rest of the shoot.

Thinking about it, it's not wonder Matthau always looked so grumpy!!

I watched two movies this weekend, which is a lot for me. Yesterday I watched Little Miss Sunshine, and I absolutely loved it. I think I might want to marry Steve Carell. This will unfortunately mean that Kylie will not agree to be my bridesmaid, but what can I do :(

You would want me to be your bridesmaid? :blush2: If Carell treated you well, I'd like him. :)

Hello, Dolly! with Barbra Streisand and Walter Matthau (and directed by Gene Kelly). One of the last big musicals in Hollywood, until the more recent ones such as Chicago, Moulin Rouge! etc. I liked it a lot, although it is quite long for a musical. Lovely singing and dancing. There was lots of tension on set though - Matthau detested Streisand and refused to talk to her unless the script demanded it. He and Michael Crawford (also in the film) went to a horse race during filming and Crawford put a bet on a horse because it was called Hello Dolly. Matthau refused to place a bet on the horse because he said the name reminded him of Streisand, and after the horse won, he refused to talk to Crawford for the rest of the shoot.

Thinking about it, it's not wonder Matthau always looked so grumpy!!

Grumpy indeed! How rude. :irked:

You would want me to be your bridesmaid? :blush2: If Carell treated you well, I'd like him.

If you'd come all the way over to Finland to attend the wedding, hell yes you can be my bridesmaid :smile2: And Carell would have to treat me well, I won't accept any other kind of treatment :) I'm precious!

:giggle:

I watched Young Adult last week and over the weekend I saw The Descendants. Young Adult was very disappointing and not anything to write home about at all, which is surprising since both Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman had a hand in it. I loved Juno, so I don't know what happened with this one.

The Descendants was good, but I'm not sure what all the hype was about, IMO.

If you'd come all the way over to Finland to attend the wedding, hell yes you can be my bridesmaid :smile2: And Carell would have to treat me well, I won't accept any other kind of treatment :) I'm precious!

:giggle:

Just letting you know I am available to be Best Man if your groom doesn't have one.