• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Sign in to follow this  
wherestheworld

Looking for zombie/post-apocalyptic books

Hello!

The title is very self-explanatory. I'm looking for good books in the zombie genre, as well as post-apocalyptic books, especially those where the world has experienced some kind of disaster or anything.

One book I liked very much is "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. And now I'm looking for more!

There is The Passage - Justin Cronin I certainly enjoyed that (post apocalyptic) and don't be put of by the word vampire in the title but there is the Vampire Apocalypse (trilogy) - Derek Gunn (I have only read the first two of these but enjoyed them)

'Riddley Walker' by Russell Hoban

'A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter M Miller

'The Day Of The Triffids' by John Wyndham

I can't help with the zombies, but there are plenty of zombie fans on the forum, so I'm sure they will be able to give you some excellent titles.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) by Jane Austen and Steve Hockensmith

Generation Dead Series by Daniel Waters ~ http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/daniel-waters/ (YA Series)

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Forest of Hands and Teeth Series by Carrie Ryan ~ http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/carrie-ryan/ (YA Series)

:)

I can't help with the zombies, but there are plenty of zombie fans on the forum, so I'm sure they will be able to give you some excellent titles.

Told you! ^^^^^^^^ :D

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro

Another great book, fab suggestion Tai_Mai_Shu :)

Another great book, fab suggestion Tai_Mai_Shu :)

The first one was great but the second was not as good. I'm looking forward to the conclusion this fall.

Why not go for a graphic novel instead and mix things up a bit: "The Walking Dead" by Robert Kirkman. I've enjoyed what I've read of it a couple of years ago and have just bought the Compendium (1000 pages) which will get me through the first few volumes en mass so to speak.

I'm gonna sugest Swan Song by Robert Mcgammon,have not read it myself yet but its on my TBR shelf

Borrowed this from amazon...Swan Song

“We’re about to cross the point of no return. God help us; we’re flying in the dark and we don’t know where the hell we’re going.”

Facing down an unprecedented malevolent enemy, the government responds with a nuclear attack. America as it was is gone forever, and now every citizen—from the President of the United States to the homeless on the streets of New York City—will fight for survival.

Swan Song is Robert McCammon’s prescient and “shocking” (John Saul) vision of a post- Apocalyptic nation, a grand epic of terror and, ultimately, renewal.

In a wasteland born of rage and fear, populated by monstrous creatures and marauding armies, earth’s last survivors have been drawn into the final battle between good and evil, that will decide the fate of humanity: Sister, who discovers a strange and transformative glass artifact in the destroyed Manhattan streets . . . Joshua Hutchins, the pro wrestler who takes refuge from the nuclear fallout at a Nebraska gas station . . . And Swan, a young girl possessing special powers, who travels alongside Josh to a Missouri town where healing and recovery can begin with Swan’s gifts. But the ancient force behind earth’s devastation is scouring the walking wounded for recruits for its relentless army, beginning with Swan herself. . . .

..Swan Song...

Added to Wishlist, as this sounds right up my alley. Shame it's not available on the Kindle though! :irked:

Added to Wishlist, as this sounds right up my alley. Shame it's not available on the Kindle though! :irked:

Because of this thread I started it 3 nights ago,about 400 pages into it and its just superb so far,it's grabbed me big time :readingtwo:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Max Brooks World War Z when it comes to zombie books :D its a pretty great one! Also the zombie survival guide by him is good tho I guess that one is more of a how too ;)

There's a massive list on my book blog (which, naturally, is badly in need of updating), but I have yet to add graphic novels - off the top of my head there are a few Evil Dead titles, Marvel Zombies, The Goon, Hellboy, and a bunch of manga titles. I also recommend EC horror titles from the 50s.

Have you tried Enclave, by Ann Aguirre? That was a post apocolyptic zombie-ish kind of Hunger games. it's quite a good one!

Brennan by Bernard Knight is Post-Apocalyptic, no zombies though. What you might imagine would be quite a realistic take on what might actually happen and how survivors would try to pick up the pieces.