Books featuring a wilderness environment

Hi everyone...this is my first post here on the forum, so, hello!

Anyways, I'm looking for a new book, whether it be fiction or non-fiction. What I'm really in the mood for is one that captures the atmosphere of the wilderness of the mountains, trees, snow, log cabins, such as a Canadian or Alaskan environment. I guess the reason for this is that not so long back I read a book called 'Call of the Wild' by Guy Grieves, a travel diary that captured an atmosphere that I've never been able to forget. The imagery of Alaska in the moonlight, the idea of being in the wilderness in the snow and under the stars, and the feeling of freedom that it expressed was incredible.

Can anybody think of any books that features this kind of atmosphere, regardless of what the plot may be?

Thanks. :)

Hi Waits - we had a similar question a while back, and one of the recommendations was the Guy Grieves book you've read, so it sounds like you might find something suitable there. Here's the link ... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5661-survivalliving-in-the-wilderness/

Edited by chesilbeach

Thank you to both of you for your replies, and I really appreciate the link. I've taken a read and there are some really interesting possibilities, particularly the references to Jack London.

Thanks again! :)

I just finished a book called One Man's Wilderness, which consists of the journals of Dick Proenneke. He retired at the age of 50, moved to the Alaskan wilderness, and built a cabin by hand and lived there for the next 20 years or so. The book covers his first year, as he builds the cabin, endures the subzero winter, hunts and catches his own food, and enjoys the solitude of living alone in the woods. I highly recommend it!!!

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer? It's the true story of Christopher McCandless...here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/0330351699

It was made into a pretty good movie a few years ago, starring Emile Hirsch. I don't know how truthful the film was, but it was shot on location in the Alaskan wilderness and had some breathtaking scenery.

Hi everybody...thank you for all your replies and I've now got a few more titles on my TBR list.

This thread is my first experience of this website and I've got to say I'm really impressed with how friendly and helpful everybody has been. Nice one!

:)

Hi everybody...thank you for all your replies and I've now got a few more titles on my TBR list.

This thread is my first experience of this website and I've got to say I'm really impressed with how friendly and helpful everybody has been. Nice one!

:)

YAY! That's what we like to hear! We hope to see more of you on the forum! :)

YAY! That's what we like to hear! We hope to see more of you on the forum! :)

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm really liking the vibe here so far. It's great that there's off topic conversations to be had too. :)

Set in Scotland rather than North America, but I very much enjoyed A Last Wild Place by Mike Tomkies. The Amazon description is pretty short and doesn't really do it justice:

"Mike Tomkies tells the story of his life in a remote Highland lochside cottage where he lived alone for 20 years without electricity, gas, telephone or postal service, studying the wildlife."

I enjoyed Journey by James A Michener

"A compelling story set in Canadas harshly beautiful northern wilderness. A compelling saga of gold lust, and of ambition, of pride, persistence and pathos"

also one of his shorter works at only 240 pages

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Set in Scotland rather than North America, but I very much enjoyed A Last Wild Place by Mike Tomkies. The Amazon description is pretty short and doesn't really do it justice:

"Mike Tomkies tells the story of his life in a remote Highland lochside cottage where he lived alone for 20 years without electricity, gas, telephone or postal service, studying the wildlife."

This thread has added a few to my to be read list too :D Given I'm in Scotland (nowhere in the wilds though) this suggestion is top of the additions, thanks! Sounds really good