Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

Has anyone read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fannie Flagg? I've read the first 50 pages but it's sooooooo slow. :sleeping-smiley-009 I have the DVD, which I have never watched because I wanted to read the book first. Is it worth going back to the book, or should I just cut my losses and try the film?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fannie Flagg? I've read the first 50 pages but it's sooooooo slow. :sleeping-smiley-009 I have the DVD, which I have never watched because I wanted to read the book first. Is it worth going back to the book, or should I just cut my losses and try the film?

Oh dear! Personally I think that in the case of this book/movie it's better if you've actually seen the movie first. There are a lot more characters in the book, and when it comes to a real storyline the movie makes much more sense. I don't know what I would've made of the book had I read it first.

The movie is amazing. I love it. And when one's seen it, one will (at least ideally) love the characters, and then the book will make more sense and one won't mind some of the chapters about insubsequent (if that's the word) characters.

I hope that helps :blush:

Hmm - I might try to continue the book after I've finished 'Tess...' - I'll give it 50 more pages and hopefully it might pick up - if not then I'll give up and try the film instead. Thanks, ladies. :)

Oh I wish you'd rather chuck out Tess and keep on reading the Tomatoes :giggle: But I'm biased, I loathed Tess! :blush:

Okay, I'll give the film a go some time soon.

Okay, goody :) I hope you will inform us somehow, somewhere, on how you liked it!

I'm really enjoying Tess so far! :giggle2:

Bloody hell :D It's one of my most hated books, but of course I'm glad someone's enjoying it... :D

Have you read any other Hardy? I read The Mayor of Casterbridge last year and I loved it!

I remember you having read TMoC and liking it. That's basically why I bought a copy of it at a secondhand bookstore when I found it (this year or last), I thought I'd give good old Hardy another go: it wouldn't be fair of me to judge him based on one book alone :)

I have but it was years ago and I can't remember what it was like. Sorry.

I remember you having read TMoC and liking it. That's basically why I bought a copy of it at a secondhand bookstore when I found it (this year or last), I thought I'd give good old Hardy another go: it wouldn't be fair of me to judge him based on one book alone :)

Oh dear! I hope that one doesn't let you down either.

I have only ever seen the film - its one of my favourites and I must have seen it at least 20 times !

I think I'll try the film first and then go back to the book. :)

I loved the book and film. I've read several of her other books too and found them very funny.

Oh dear! I hope that one doesn't let you down either.

Don't worry, I got it cheap from a secondhand bookstore and I'm not having high expectations, so I doubt I'll be disappointed :)

I really hope you like the movie, like Talisman said, the movie's one of my favorites, too, and I've seen it so many times I've lost count. I even tried making Fried Green Tomatoes on a pan myself as a kid, because of the movie :D (Of course the tomatoes were red, and failed miserably :lol:)

I'm curious to know if anoyone here has read Frankenstein by Deen Koontz?

I started reading it but didn't get very far... however I'm not a massive Koontz fan. I do plan to go back and attempt it again sometime, though.

I started reading it but didn't get very far... however I'm not a massive Koontz fan. I do plan to go back and attempt it again sometime, though.

I haven't read any of his books before, so wanted to hear if this one is a good first.

I think Odd Thomas is one of his good ones. :)

Glad you said that, as I bought this one over Frankenstein in the end! The cover of odd thomas appealed to me more than the frankenstein straight green one.

^^ And Lightning. It was the first of his that I read, and still my fave :smile:

I'll also get this one then too. :D

Edited by Devi

Glad you said that, as I bought this one over Frankenstein in the end! The cover of odd thomas appealed to me more than the frankenstein straight green one.

Don't mean to add to your book list (:giggle:) but Watchers is really good too, especially if you like dogs. :D

Don't mean to add to your book list (:giggle:) but Watchers is really good too, especially if you like dogs. :D

Suggest away! The more the merrier :D

I've added it to my list.

Edited by Devi

Has anyone read "Warm Bodies" by Isaac Marion? There's a film adaptation being released in a few weeks, and I'm wondering if the book is good. Has great reviews on Amazon.

I've had it on my wishlist for a while now, since reading Weave's review of it - I'll have to bump it up the list if there's a film coming out!