The King's Speech

Lumo

I'm just wondering what people here think of this film?

I haven't seen it, and it has become so popular and so talked about that I find this almost off putting. I feel that it will not live up to expectations and therefore watching it would be a disappointment rather than the joy of finding a hidden gem a in a film that is not over-hyped.

The hype imo is well deserved, and you should not let this out you off. For me it was and is a refreshing change to see a film with British actors and actresses that has an almost gentle feel to it (helped no doubt by the superb classical soundtrack) that does not rely on special effects and swearing to make its point. This is not a made up story but actual history and the awards and accoladates are imo very well deserved.

I agree with everything Talisman said.

Having said that, I think one should always go into 'hyped' movies with low expectations. That way, you'll never be disappointed.

Ver ywell deserved - it's incredibly well written, perfectly cast, beautifully directed and superbly performed. It deserves praise heaped on it from every direction. Loved it and will definitely watc hit again. :)

Loved it and blubbed my way through his final speech .. embarrassing because the cinema was packed. The hype is justified in this case, the acting from everyone is superb .. though having said that I didn't much care for Timothy Spall's Winston Churchill but then he is only in it fleetingly.

I admit that I would have been happy just to eat my popcorn and gaze at Colin but the big bonus was that he and everyone else (Helena Bonham Carter and Geoffrey Rush in particular) were superb.

I'd happily watch it all over again tomorow and can't wait for the DVD so that my Mum and Dad can see it.

I am looking fotward to the DVD being released, as it is a film I really want to see. I don't remember King George but I do remember the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth and my parents talking about the 'King who could n't speak properly'. ( In their ignorance, bless them .)

I feel this story is probably better portrayed as a film than a book but I may be wrong.

Great to see a British film do so well at the Oscars.

I took my daughter to watch it yesterday. We both enjoyed it. She's 13 and loved this character driven movie as much as I did. It's definitely worth watching. I'm going to buy the dvd one day and show it to my son as well. The way they filmed it made it an interesting topic even for people who mostly like action movies or who aren't interested in historical topics at all. Great script, wonderful acting, loved the background and the music (which wasn't taking over the movie, just enough where needed)

It's true that not all Oscar winning movies really are Oscar material. Quite often I've disliked Oscar winning movies and loved movies which every one else hated. In this case however, the movie really was worthy of all the attention and rewards it got.

I'm not normally one to care for hype, but to be honest all I needed to want to go & see this was seeing the poster - I mean, all that talent in one place? I would have paid to see them read shopping lists. I'm happy to report I was not disappointed, everyone was on top form - a simple, beautifully self-contained joy from start to finish.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever go to see this, Duncan?

I can only agree with the rest of the posts here - it was truly amazing (I even liked Churchill!) - I have pre-ordered the DVD (something I've never done before) and I bought my Mum the soundtrack for her birthday as it was also wonderful. :)

I loved this film. I usually avoid really hyped up films, at the very least until the hype has died down and I can watch it in piece. (Did that with Scott Pilgrim and ended up loving it, though I was fit to kill anyone who mentioned it when it came out.)

However, I really thought the King's Speech would be my sort of thing, specially considering I actually remembered the historical figure from my days learning history in secondary school! And I went along to see it despite the hype.

It's a superb film. It really is. I laughed and cried and the ending was brilliant. The only thing that put me off was the music used in the final scenes in the same piece of music used at the end of Knowing - and all I could think about was the final scenes of Knowing because the music suited that so much better.

Did you ever go to see this, Duncan?

I can only agree with the rest of the posts here - it was truly amazing (I even liked Churchill!) - I have pre-ordered the DVD (something I've never done before) and I bought my Mum the soundtrack for her birthday as it was also wonderful. :)

No, I have not yet had a chance to see it, but when the DVD is out I will rent/buy it :-)

• 1 year later...