Celia Rees - Witch Child

Kell

Author: Celia Rees

ISBN # 0747550093

Every now & then I like to read a book that's supposedly been written for children. I'd seen this one on the "Teen Fiction" bookshelves for some time & it caught my interest. I finally bought it at the weekend & I'm so glad I did! This is not a book specifically for children at all, but one that can be enjoyed by readers of any age.

Set in the 1600's & written in diary form, Witch Child charts the journey of Mary, a Warwickshire lass who is orphaned when her only living relative, her grandmother, is executed as a Witch. Packed onto a ship with Puritans, she makes her way to the New World to settle in Beulah, a small town not far from Salem, Massachusetts. Mary's wildness & natural ease in the forest set her apart from the rest of the town & it isn't long before she is in danger of being accused of Witchcraft herself.

I was blown away by how well written this book is & will certainly get hold of the sequel, Sorceress.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just found this thread after reviewing the book in my book list, and had no idea there was a sequel! Will definitely be adding it to my wish list, but here's my thoughts on Witch Child

Through the eyes of a young woman who has much to hide, the story is a compelling read where religious fervour, suspicious neighbours and jealous peers play their part in the destiny of Mary, with an unease at the beginning building to a much more palpable sense of tension and drama at the conclusion.

I became absolutely immersed in the story, and thought it was an absolutely engrossing read.