Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

Hobbit is probably my favorite Tolkien book. I will re-read before the movie is release next year.

I plan on doing that too. :)

In the mail today I received Ex Libris: The Art of Bookplates by Martin Hopkinson. It looks lovely. I love looking at pics of old bookplates! :) I managed to read nearly 10 pages of The Group without stopping. That's a huge feat in my current reading state. I'm planning on heading to bed early tonight to get some more reading in.

I also went and picked up an ebay purchase of 3 books that I bought for my Mum. They're rare books that I managed to buy for an absolute bargain and she's going to love them. :D I should wait for a special occasion, such as her birthday in October, to give them to her, but I'm so excited that I don't think I can wait that long! I might give her just one for now.

The last bit of book activity for me is that I found out I snagged an Early Reviewers book from LibraryThing. I had completely forgotten that I had applied for one, so I had to go and look it up to refresh my memory. It's an ebook called Look at Flower, which is set in San Francisco in the 1960s. I hope it's as good as it sounds. :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started reading 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' by Jonathan Safran Foer :)

I gave up on Night Train To Lisbon - Pascal Mercier, I struggled through to 50% then decided life`s to short! :rolleyes:

To make me feel better I then downloaded to my kindle 2 Jo Nesbo books, The Redbreast and Nemesis,

also got Bone and Cane - David Belbin which I`ve just started, it`s ok so far. :)

I started We Need to Talk About Kevin

Excellent - what do you think so far ?

At lunchtime today I got stuck into Killing Floor my first Lee Child but then lunchtime ended so I had to put it back in my bag

Edited by Easy Reader

I gave up on Night Train To Lisbon - Pascal Mercier, I struggled through to 50% then decided life`s to short! :rolleyes:

Out of interest, why didn't you like it? It's a book I've thought about reading, but haven't done so yet, and I'd be interested in your views.

Excellent - what do you think so far ?

Hard to say....I literally just started...like 3 pages in :D

Out of interest, why didn't you like it? It's a book I've thought about reading, but haven't done so yet, and I'd be interested in your views.

Ditto :)

I just started reading 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' by Jonathan Safran Foer :)

Excellent choice! I loved that book :smile2:

I started Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill last night, and I'm already about half way through, so may finish it tonight.

I started off really enjoying the slow pace of the story and the way its main character, Gregorius, left his lifetime of routine behind to go to Portugal on a whim.

I found parts of the story quite thought provoking, but by the time I was a third of the way through I lost interest and stopped caring, though I can't say why really. I kept reading in the hope it would pick up for me but unfortunately I kept struggling.

I've decided that I will return to the book in a week or two and give it another try, maybe I was trying to rush it and it's not that kind of book I think.

It seems from the reviews I read, a love it or hate it book, I hope you give it a chance and enjoy it, I'd like to hear what you think about it. :)

I've not read much in over a month now, just had no mojo at all.

Started back the other day with Anna McPartlin's The Truth Will Out and the first book in the A Song Of Ice And Fire series, after becoming utterly obsessed with the tv adaptation of A Game Of Thrones.

I've decided that I'm going to give up on The Group, just for now. I'll finish it at a later date, but it's depressing how long it is taking me to read. I don't dislike it or anything; it's just not the right book for my current mood, and I shouldn't have kept forcing it all this time. Of course, I made this decision this morning when I was on the train with no other book, so technically I'll be giving up on it tonight.

I started off really enjoying the slow pace of the story and the way its main character, Gregorius, left his lifetime of routine behind to go to Portugal on a whim.

I found parts of the story quite thought provoking, but by the time I was a third of the way through I lost interest and stopped caring, though I can't say why really. I kept reading in the hope it would pick up for me but unfortunately I kept struggling.

I've decided that I will return to the book in a week or two and give it another try, maybe I was trying to rush it and it's not that kind of book I think.

It seems from the reviews I read, a love it or hate it book, I hope you give it a chance and enjoy it, I'd like to hear what you think about it. :)

Thanks, that's helpful. I have read a couple of reviews that were critical of the translation, although I guess that's a matter of personal taste. Hmmm, not sure I'll be going out of my way to read this one.

I've had Night Train to Lisbon on my stack for a couple of years. I was really keen to start it when it arrived, but I kept getting sidetracked. All these dratted new books keep coming out...distracting me... :)

I received Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch in the mail today. I'd been on the fence about ordering it for a while, but finally was convinced to order it. The first few pages are wonderful, the author pulls the reader right in...the style is simple but compelling. As soon as I finish my present read, A Grave Talent by Laurie King, I think I'll be ready to start it.

I've decided that I'm going to give up on The Group, just for now. I'll finish it at a later date, but it's depressing how long it is taking me to read. I don't dislike it or anything; it's just not the right book for my current mood, and I shouldn't have kept forcing it all this time. Of course, I made this decision this morning when I was on the train with no other book, so technically I'll be giving up on it tonight.

:friends0: You're right to give up on it, since it just doesn't suit your mood at the moment. I hope you can find something more suitable when you get back home! :)

I finished Boris Akunin's The Winter Queen last night, it was brilliant, will definitely read more of his books in the future. SueK, I now know what you meant by what happened to Erast, it was sad :(

I don't know what to read next, I must go over all the books I've acquired during this trip, which is a lot :giggle: I was beginning to worry how I'm going to be able to get all these books back to Joensuu, but it turns out BF is coming with me to stay with me for the weekend and now he can help me with my books. It's a good thing he's been working his ass off at the gym :giggle:

I finished Boris Akunin's The Winter Queen last night, it was brilliant, will definitely read more of his books in the future. SueK, I now know what you meant by what happened to Erast, it was sad :(

I have read most of the Erast Fandorin novels and love them too, he has also writte a series about Sister Pelagia which are very funny slightly lighter than the Fandorin books but also detective ones.

I have read most of the Erast Fandorin novels and love them too, he has also writte a series about Sister Pelagia which are very funny slightly lighter than the Fandorin books but also detective ones.

Thanks pickle, I have to check the other series out, too! :smile2:

Just bought a Tim Powers book called On Stranger Tides for my Kindle. I loved his book The Anubis Gates so am hoping this will be as good. Pirates, voodoo, the Caribbean, black magic ... seriously, how can it go wrong?

I am almost half way through Centuries of June by Keith Donohue and I LOVE it!

I'm not surprised. I found The Stolen Child and Angels of Destruction to be excellent as well.

I think I will review this one when I am done. :D

Yes, it was very sad Frankie. :( Glad you enjoyed the book though.

I picked up a Sister Pelagia book recently and will give this a go very soon. I quite like the sound of them.

I'm reading The Betrayal by Helen Dunmore right now. It's a sequel to the Siege which I read a couple of months back. Excellent reading.

I managed to get a good hrs read in on my lunch break today and am now half way through 'lost light' and so far have to say this is another great Bosch story.

Just another 40 ish pages left of A Tenderness of Wolves, will hopefully finish it tonight, can't wait to see how it ends, then will need to decide what to read next!

Edited by chaliepud