Brandon Sanderson

Kasei

Favorite Sanderson Series  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Book/Series that he has written?

• Alcatraz
    • Elantris
    • Mistborn
    • Stormlight
    • Warbreaker
    • Wheel of Time

Okay so I just finished The Way of Kings, the first book from his Stormlight series and kind of wanted to start up a discussion on it and on Sanderson's books in general. I gave up catching up with Wheel of Time a few years ago but now I kind of want to pick it up again just to get to the books that Mr. Sanderson has been put in charge of.

But I am positively reeling with The Way of Kings and thought this might be a good venue to vent some of that pent up nerdy energy. Anyone out there care to join me and share your thoughts? What was your favorite part and why? Or tell me about your favorite series by Mr. Sanderson and why that is so. I'd love to check out a few more novels by him but am not sure where to start. If the rest of them are anything like the kind of writing I found in The Way of Kings then I definitely want to sink my teeth into them as well.

I'm currently reading the Mistborn trilogy (about half way through the second book). I absolutely love it. I might go so far to say that Brandon Sanderson is one of my new favourite authors. I can definitely recommend the first book, The Final Empire. The characters are so likeable and realistic, and there is a lot of action. The magic system is definitely very interesting; it's unique and complex, but easy to understand. I chose Mistborn because apparently that's the book that made Robert Jordan's wife select Sanderson as the author of the final books in the Wheel of Time series.

I, too, have been struggling with the Wheel of Time. I started Book 10 last year, but didn't get around to finishing it. I really want to get to Sanderson's books in the series though.

I saw The Way of Kings on the bookshelf, and it's a HUGE book. Not just in width, but in height as well. It looks like the size of a chunky hard-back, but it's a paperback. I think I'll wait until the produce a slightly smaller version. I think I'd struggle to fit it in my bag at the moment.

But, more importantly, are you enjoying The Way of Kings?

You are the second person whose told me to check out the Mistborn series, so perhaps I shall. I didn't know that it was the reason he was selected to finish Wheel of Time, so that is certainly interesting.

But, more importantly, are you enjoying The Way of Kings?

Oh my goodness, yes. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The ending was a really nice build-up full of lots of twists and surprises that I had not seen coming. As you already stated, he writes his characters very well and makes everything very easy to relate to and understand. I find it heart wrenching that I will have to wait possibly until late 2012 to get the next installment, gah!

I definitely understand what you mean about being put off by its size. It is definitely one of those doorstop books that people talk about, the ones that just look like huge, heavy tomes. But it really is worth it, I think you should definitely give the book a read when the opportunity presents itself.

I'd heard that Sanderson likes to intertwine all of his book worlds into one general sort of reality; is the Mistborn series part of that?

It might be Mistborn that influenced the decision for him to write the Wheel of Time books, but now I think about it, it might actually have been Elantris. Ah well. It was still him being chosen to write the remaining WoT books that made me read his books.

It's not the length of the book that bothers me; just the physical size. I like to take books with me when I go out, especially if I'm travelling anywhere on public transport. The edition I saw in the shop would be too bulky to take out with me.

I'm not quite sure what you mean be "one general sort of reality". If you mean that his books all take place in the same world, I'm afraid I can't answer that since Mistborn is the only Brandon Sanderson I've read.

It was still him being chosen to write the remaining WoT books that made me read his books.

Same here. I dropped WoT and switched to Sanderson.

I'm not quite sure what you mean be "one general sort of reality". If you mean that his books all take place in the same world, I'm afraid I can't answer that since Mistborn is the only Brandon Sanderson I've read.

I thought I read somewhere in an interview with him that he likes to put all of his books into the same sort of universe--same type of magic source, same type of physics in the world, etc...I also heard that there is a character that all of his books share, but I'll have to read more of them to find out who--definitely an enticing feature though. At least in my opinion. :)

• 2 months later...

I've only read the first two Mistborn books of his so far. I thought the first one was pretty good. I really liked the magic system. I found the second book to be a bit of a let down, though. It was just too long with too little plot, and I found it hard to care about any of the characters. It's strange, because I liked Vin a lot in the first book (although Kelsier really annoyed me). It did leave me wanting to know what happens in the end, though, which is good. I have the final book and will read it soon. :)

• 8 months later...

I'm currently reading the Mistborn trilogy (about half way through the second book). I absolutely love it. I might go so far to say that Brandon Sanderson is one of my new favourite authors. I can definitely recommend the first book, The Final Empire. The characters are so likeable and realistic, and there is a lot of action. The magic system is definitely very interesting; it's unique and complex, but easy to understand. I chose Mistborn because apparently that's the book that made Robert Jordan's wife select Sanderson as the author of the final books in the Wheel of Time series.

I've just finished listening to the first Mistborn book, and I loved it - I've just started the second.

Must admit, my opinion didn't change much in the end from my post above. The first book was good, the second and third pretty yawnsome. I think it's another one of those cases where the story was spread too thin just to get a trilogy out of it. Two books would have told the tale much better, imo.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bumping because Sanderson is closer to completion on the next installment in the Stormlight series (aka the sequel to The Way of Kings) anyone else excited?? There is a projection for sometime this year, the website says he's around 80% done......gah! So close! I don't know about anyone else, but I am dying to know more about what happens to Kaladin. Seriously, if you have not read Way of Kings yet, do. Just do.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I shouldn't have voted as I only read his Wheel of Time writings. I thought he did an outstanding job on Wheel of Time. I will probably try reading some of his other books as a result.

I'm not sure whether to vote for the Mistborn Trilogy or his Wheel of Time books. I absolutely loved his Mistborn Trilogy and it was only really my Kobo's fault that I didn't really get along with the last book in the trilogy as the text was really small and weird in format so 3 pages on my Kobo was like one page in the real book. But I loved it. And I absolutely loved his collab for the last books of Wheel of Time. My favourite book was A Memory of Light. He did brilliantly at spanning out the battle throughout the whole book.

• 1 month later...