Andrea's reading in 2011

~Andrea~

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andrea , I know you read this a while ago but it was only a few posts back on here. I read IT recently but didn't enjoy it enough to review it. I agree with everything you wrote in the spoilers, especially the last one, as the character in question is only 11!.

All in all I thought the whole book was a bit messy. I have only read 2 and a half King books but I don't really rate his writing.

I don't believe gore can replace atmospheric horror

I definitely agree with part of this VF. I too thought It was a bit of a mess, but it was mainly the latter stages that grated with me. The book goes on for 200 pages too long. But that, I think, is symptomatic of some of King's works - he just doesn't know how to finish them.

I also agree that gore can't replace atmosphere. I'd be interested to know which of his books you've read. I read most of his work, up to and including Misery, and then kind of fell out of love with him. But his earlier books, like Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Dead Zone, Cujo, The Stand, Firestarter the aforementioned Misery - they are all fantastic reads, and for me show why he became so popular, and why I used to like his books so much.

Last night, after a rubbish day, I really wasn't in the mood for science before I went to bed, so I picked up Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb for a little light relief. It's part two of a trilogy. I read part one about a year ago I think, so this is long overdue.

So, how are you getting on with Royal Assassin, Andrea?

I have, yes. I think I'm in the minority in that I found it a bit of a chore to read. I loved the first book, but the other two didn't really do it for me. I think she could have told the story in two books, but I guess it's the old contractual obligation and publishers knowing they're onto a good thing. After I'd finished that trilogy I started on the Liveship Traders books and have still only read the first one. They're still sitting on the shelf, taunting me :lol:

Like I say, though, I know I'm in the minority - I'm sure you'll love it! :D

Well it's not my usual genre which is perhaps why I enjoyed the first book so much - hopefully the rest of the series will be as fresh for me :) OH has started the liveship trader books and is enjoying them, but not as much as the farseer ones I think.

Hmm it's odd that you say that as this book is 750 pages long, so no doubt she could have cut some story out and still had enough material for 2 books. But perhaps the genre demands long books?

But perhaps the genre demands long books?

You'd think so, looking at the shelves in Waterstones, wouldn't you? :lol:

I'm all for long books (I'm a Steven Erikson fan, after all :lol: ), but I do like fantasy authors who don't feel it's necessary to write doorstoppers, trilogies or multi-book series. Guy Gavriel Kay does this very successfully, and I think his books are all the better for it - so do the likes of Neil Gaiman, Dan Simmons, Tim Powers etc. I think, in some cases, it's down to the publishers seeing the potential income from trilogies/series - it's all about the money.

I'm totally loving Royal Assassin - I find these books I can really lose myself in, and as with the last one, once I've picked it up I just can't put it down again - hence I stayed up a little too late last night and am suffering a bit today :coffee1:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Royal Assassin last night. I find it a real page-turner but was a little disappointed to find no real resolution to the story, which is all now set up ready for book 3. The closer to the 'end' I got I was more sure that would be the case. Loved the book, but would have loved at least a little bit of resolution. Oh well - I guess I'll be reading the next one in a few months then.

Tonight I'm going to start The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert. A good haunted house story for the winter months lol. This is another chunky read at over 600 pages. Royal Assassin was 750. I seem to be going for all the doorstops at the moment.

My birthday book haul:

Shakespeare's Landlord - Charlaine Harris

I Partridge - Alan Partridge (audio)

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee/Sissy Spacek (audio)

More Than Matter - Keith Ward

Kim and Aggie's Cleaning Bible

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've made a start on The Secret of Crickley Hall and so far I'm not overly impressed with it. Surprisingly I have found the writing to be pretty poor quality, quite clunky and ameteurish and the story pretty cliched. I'm interested enough to keep reading, and not all of the writing is bad, but it does seem rather rushed. I'm not sure if he always writes like this and it's just that I've read a couple of really good books lately that by comparison this one is not measuring up or if this is an out of the ordinary badly written book. I'm trying to remember if I found his other books written in the same style, but I don't hink so. I'll perservere.

In contrast, I am absolutely loving listening to To Kill a Mockingbird. I have it on in the car so I probably won't get much of a chance to listen for a while as I won't be driving to and from work over Christmas.

My Christmas book haul:

Hens reunited - Lucy Diamond

Search dogs and me - Neil Powell

Silver Birches - Adrian Plass

Six easy pieces - Richard Feynmann

Think, a compelling introduction to philosophy - Simon Blackburn

The everlasting man - G K Chesterton

The great divorce - C S Lewis

Brighton Rock - Grahame Greene (audio)

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes volume 1 - Arthur Conan Doyle (audio)

Blodwen Jones a'r aderyn prin - Bethan Gwenas (a novel for welsh learners - I think it means Blodwen Jones and the rare bird.)

So I've just been and done my book 'accounting' for 2011, and I started the year with 41 on the shelf and ended the year with 41 on the shelf which means I've acquired as many books as I've read from my TBR! Oh well, I'm pretty happy with that. I was hoping to see it go down but at least it hasn't grown I suppose :lol:

Edited by ~Andrea~