Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2011

Kylie

I started with After Dark, and found it to be a good introduction, but If you've not read any Murakami before I can recommend After the Quake, a collection of six short stories, as a good introduction to his writing style and range

But I don't have After the Quake on my TBR pile! Are you suggesting I should go and buy the book, Raven? Are you actually encouraging the book-buying addiction I'm trying so hard to kick? huh.gif

I've only read South of the Border, West of the Sun so far.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I don't have After the Quake on my TBR pile! Are you suggesting I should go and buy the book, Raven? Are you actually encouraging the book-buying addiction I'm trying so hard to kick? huh.gif

You asked for recommendations, I gave one.

I'll leave the moral and ethical dilemas to you!

I can restrain myself if I want to! I can't help wondering if you're trying reverse psychology on me. By saying that you expect I'll be bad when I crack, you're trying to get me to prove you wrong. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. :)

I recognise that quote in your sig. But don't tell me...is it from a movie or book?

I can restrain myself if I want to! I can't help wondering if you're trying reverse psychology on me. By saying that you expect I'll be bad when I crack, you're trying to get me to prove you wrong. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. :)

I think you probably are!

I recognise that quote in your sig. But don't tell me...is it from a movie or book?

You just told me not to tell you whether it's from a movie or a book so I'm afraid I can't tell you . . . :P

Grrr! You're impossible Raven! :banghead:

I think you know that I meant 'don't tell me where it's from, but please give me a hint as to whether it's from a book or a movie'. Is that better?

My guess is it's from a movie, because I can kind of hear the voice and tone in my head.

ETA: Is it from Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

Edited by Kylie

Woohoo! Now to guess the scene. Is it from the very beginning of the movie when they're in the desert? Do do do do doo. :smile2:

I hope you don't think I'm going to guess the quote in your new sig because I have absolutely no idea what it could be...except perhaps Mars Attacks (all right, all right, so I couldn't help guessing).

I received The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau in the mail yesterday. Now, before a certain fellow with a bird's name comments on this, I'd like to point out that the book was ordered and paid for last year, and was already accounted for when I set up my reading lists for this year, so it doesn't count as a 2011 book! :P

There may be, ahem, roughly another half a dozen books also on their way to me that count as 2010 books.

Don't start trying to mess with my mind, Raven! :theboss: Ooh, now I'm confused and wondering whether there's some weird thing happening where you changed your sig a while ago and because of that weird cookie issue, it has only just changed for me.

Now I don't know whether or not you're telling the truth about Barry saying that. :(

Edited by Kylie

I'd love to go back to the Salvos and have a proper look through their books, and I'd also love to go to the arcade shop, but I'm trying really hard to be good at the moment! angel_not.gif

I know you're supposed to be good, and I'm really proud of you, but at the same time it's difficult because I'd love to hear stories about your adventures to the local bookshops... :rolleyes:

Don't start trying to mess with my mind, Raven! :theboss: Ooh, now I'm confused and wondering whether there's some weird thing happening where you changed your sig a while ago and because of that weird cookie issue, it has only just changed for me.

Now I don't know whether or not you're telling the truth about Barry saying that. :(

You should know the answers to both of those questions by now! :flowers2:

I know you're supposed to be good, and I'm really proud of you, but at the same time it's difficult because I'd love to hear stories about your adventures to the local bookshops... :rolleyes:

Aw, sorry Frankie. :empathy: There will be bookshops again, just not for a little while.

You should know the answers to both of those questions by now! :flowers2:

Ahh, so I was right the first time. You were trying to mess with my head! I must admit to still being uncertain about the quote, but I just Googled it and didn't come up with anything, so I guess you were messing with me there, too. Tsk tsk! :giggle:

Kylie, the five tones quote is from near the end when the big spaceship comes down. They're all set up near Devil's Tower with that big screen of flashing bars and the guy plays the tones over and over and eventually the ship responds back. It's my fave part! :D

Oh yeah, I know that one because it's my favourite part of the movie too. I also do the hand gestures along with the alien. :smile2:

I was referring to Raven's quote in his sig - 'Look ma, Aliens!' That's the one I Googled.

Edited by Kylie

Don't feel old, Chrissy, I've seen the movie too. ;) I may have to watch it again though because I don't remember much about it.

I received four books in the mail today, all of which are considered as 2010 acquisitions.

Roddy Doyle: Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha

James Kelman: How Late It Was, How Late

Jack Kerouac: Doctor Sax

Sinclair Lewis: It Can't Happen Here

I've just finished reading David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I was a little wary of reading it because others here haven't really enjoyed it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it was reasonably amusing and a very pleasant read.

Edited by Kylie

I received four books in the mail today, all of which are considered as 2010 acquisitions.

Ordered in 2010? Clever :wink:

I've just finished reading David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. I was a little wary of reading it because others here haven't really enjoyed it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it was reasonably amusing and a very pleasant read.

I'm glad you enjoyed it eventhough I didn't, it would've pained me to hear that you were suffering from reading it :)

I still haven't bought any books yet, but that doesn't mean I've stopped looking. rolleyes.gif I'm adding books to my wish list at a rate of knots. It's just delaying the inevitable really. I think Raven was right when he said that when I crack it's going to be bad. blush.gif

I'm hoping to write up a few reviews this week. I'm behind already!

Edited by Kylie

Kylie, your list organization never fails to astound me! You have inspired me to be better about keeping track of my tbr pile and the books I plan on acquiring this year. Though I doubt I'll be half as good as you with keeping it updated.

I noticed you acquired 400 (?!) books last year. Where did you put them all? I'm assuming you must have added more "billys." If you have, I'm very jealous. I'd like to do the same, but I just know my boyfriend will have a heart attack when I tell him.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your reviews this year. Happy reading! =)

Thanks Bookworm! It took me quite a while to get those lists sorted. Last year they were only partially complete and I had trouble throughout the year because I was missing a lot of books from the lists. Hopefully this year will be different.

I must confess that when I saw I was nearing 400 books bought, I decided to just go ahead and order enough to make it to 400. :blush: I have no intention of buying that many in one year again and considering I was crazy enough to get to the 380s-390s, I figured I may as well go all the way to 400. :giggle:

Yes, I did indeed buy another (big) Billy. I just bought the one, I think, and I had to take off the door to my library in order to fit it in. :smile2: I also managed to get rid of some books during the year so that helped save a bit of space.

I hope you can convince your boyfriend that you need another Billy. You can never have too many! :lol:

Thanks Bookworm! It took me quite a while to get those lists sorted. Last year they were only partially complete and I had trouble throughout the year because I was missing a lot of books from the lists. Hopefully this year will be different.

I must confess that when I saw I was nearing 400 books bought, I decided to just go ahead and order enough to make it to 400. :blush: I have no intention of buying that many in one year again and considering I was crazy enough to get to the 380s-390s, I figured I may as well go all the way to 400. :giggle:

Yes, I did indeed buy another (big) Billy. I just bought the one, I think, and I had to take off the door to my library in order to fit it in. :smile2: I also managed to get rid of some books during the year so that helped save a bit of space.

I hope you can convince your boyfriend that you need another Billy. You can never have too many! :lol:

Kylie 400 books that is incredible. I felt sort of oppressed last year when my TBR pile got over 10. I don't think it was ever more than 20. I read all but 2 of my TBR in the end.

.I hope you can convince your boyfriend that you need another Billy. You can never have too many! :lol:

Totally agree with that, we bought 2 more additions to our family of Billy's & they're already groaning under the weight of the books I've bought since we got them :rolleyes: