Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I'm almost finished with Harry, A History. I read bits and pieces of it when I first bought it, but I'm reading it cover to cover this time. It's an interesting read, about what it was like for fans of Harry Potter, when the series was still unfinished. It brings back so many memories.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I haven't managed to read anything more (aside from a magazine) but did buy 3 more books:

The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber

Promise Not To Tell by Jennifer McMahon

Slash by Slash with Anthony Bozza

I just ordered 'Vlad: The Last Confession' by C.C. Humphreys (thanks Noll :)) :readingtwo:

Edited by Weave

Reading The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje.

AIE:

And bought...arrived in mail actually:

The Voyeur by Alain Robbe-Grillet

Bienvelle's Dilemma by Richard Campanella

Acacia [book One] by David Anthony Durham

Zero History by William Gibson

Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré

Edited by pontalba

I decided to finish Ashes to Ashes even though I found it quite irritating. I did manage to find a Linda Farstein I haven't read in Oxfam today so I will tackle that one next, I also managed to get a Boris Akunin - She lover of Death whichi haven't read yet. so good all round

I'm 100 pages into Closing Time Joseph Heller & my mojo's going strong:)

I can't wait to hear what you think of this one. I'm keen to know whether Heller can come anywhere near to Catch-22 in his other books.

I've read about 35 pages of Atlas Shrugged so far this weekend, which is a good effort for me. I'm about to settle down and read some more.

Went to a second hand shop today that had a used book section. Picked up 10 books for $16! Some of which I've had on my wishlist for awhile now! yay. I got:

Irvine Welsh - Ecstasy (turns out I already have this book haha must start carrying around a list of books I already own!)

Al Gore - An Inconvenient Truth

Joseph Heller - Good as Gold

Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns

Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

David Sedaris - Naked

WM Paul Young - The Shack

John Steinbeck - East of Eden

Azar Nafisi - Reading Lolita in Tehran

Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance

Not a bad haul, some of them do look warn in but can't complain too much cause the prices were awesome!

Edited by whitegold

I can't wait to hear what you think of this one. I'm keen to know whether Heller can come anywhere near to Catch-22 in his other books.

I've read about 35 pages of Atlas Shrugged so far this weekend, which is a good effort for me. I'm about to settle down and read some more.

Well I'm enjoying it so far, I think because I read Catch 22 right before it I was able to get into it straight away & the humour is very much like Catch22 .

Excellent haul, Whitegold!! Wtg!

Kylie, are you still enjoying Atlas Shrugged? Hopefully you are because then you might one day read Fountainhead, which we can then discuss since it's one of my fave books :D.

I read quite a good chunk of Tattoo on Friday night after returning from happy hour but couldn't pick it up last night since I was wiped out from all that country air. I can safely say though that I'm at the halfway point and am looking forward to continuing! It'll have to be tonight though during the commercial breaks of the football game...

I am about two-thirds of the way through Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks who, as usual, is terribly entertaining, intelligent and witty. I am loving it, and am not looking forward to leaving it behind for a whole week! irked.gif

I am most of the way through Final Jeopardy - Linda Farstein I am glad I gave her a second chance after the first of her books I read she obviously knows her stuff on sex crimes. I also have an audio book playing in the car something by Mo Hayder only on the first CD at the moment not sure I am enjoying it but its got to be better than the patricia Cornwell I listened to last.

And bought...arrived in mail actually:

[ Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré

I keep forgetting this one is out now. LeCarre is one of my all-time faves. Kindle price $14.99 hardcover $14.98! I don't know what these publishers are thinking.

I keep forgetting this one is out now. LeCarre is one of my all-time faves. Kindle price $14.99 hardcover $14.98! I don't know what these publishers are thinking.

I'm slowly working my way through LeCarré in chronological order. I've only read the first 2 I think, but I did read The Spy That Came in From the Cold a few years back. I know I have the copy around here somewhere, but it isn't where it should be, so I've been searching on and off. I want to reread, so I have the sequence correct. My OH is a huge fan of LeCarré and has especially recommended the books on Karla.

Kylie, are you still enjoying Atlas Shrugged? Hopefully you are because then you might one day read Fountainhead, which we can then discuss since it's one of my fave books :D.

Yes, I'm still really enjoying it. It's getting more philosophical and making me think a whole lot. I find myself reading news items and comparing what society says to Ayn Rand's philosophy. I feel like telling everyone to read it, which is about the highest possible compliment I can give it. :)

I'll definitely read Fountainhead one day. But only if you'll read Atlas Shrugged. :wink: