Stephen King

Michelle

I am:-

What Stephen King Book are You? 3748The%20Dark%20Tower.jpg

The Dark Tower Series

The novel of your life, is actually a series, one in which you are on a quest to find the answer to everything with a band of gunslingers and some tricky enemies.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I found Gerald's Game very chilling. I think King is at his best when he's focusing more on things that are well within the realm of possibility.

What Stephen King Book are You?

3748The%20Stand.jpg

The Stand

The novel of your life is the end of everything, after a flu epedemic that you find yourself unable to receieve you attempt to bring civilization back and stop the devil himself.

I can honestly say, I would be helpful in that situation plus I would not

take any of Randall Flagg's shenanigans...:)

my favorites of his are the stand and the green mile-the only thing of his i refuse to read is the book he wrote when the blasted red sox won the world series in 2004- as a life long devoted yankees fan i just can't bring myself to read that- carm:irked:

• 2 weeks later...

i love stephen king but rarely admit it-does that make me a book snob?!!!

i loved the stand,shawshank redemption(the film is my favourite ever film adaptation-love that bit where they're all on the roof drinking beer),the green mile. loved that teenage/kids one was it 'eyes of the dragon'?

i love the way he mentions characters from other books in passing IYKWIM-, i think that's so clever.

loved 'needful things'- some dastardly friend snaffled it on me years ago

i think some of his stuff's awful though, definately don't think he' s been as good since that head injury a few years ago

Not all of them, Lovesreading - King has been classified as a horror writer all these years, but really, I think he's more an observer of the human condition. If you read his collection of novellas under the title Different Seasons (which includes The Body, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method), you'll find a collection that concentrates more on people and how they react and interact with each other, and that they have profound moments of beauty and drama within them.

The Stand looks at a possible end-of-the-world scenario, where the majority of the human race is killed off by a virus. Those people left are divided into two groups - one led by Mother Abigale (who is an old woman who talks to God), the other led by Randall Flagg (who is a rum character who could be in league with the devil). Again, it's more about the relationships between the people and how they cope with the situation in which they find themselves.

Personally, i don't consider King a horror writer in the traditional sense - I just consider him a bl**dy good writer. :(

<snippage>

If you read his collection of novellas under the title Different Seasons (which includes The Body, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method), you'll find a collection that concentrates more on people and how they react and interact with each other, and that they have profound moments of beauty and drama within them.

</snippage>

Right on, Kell - thanks for naming the book that I've actually read by King.

It's been a struggle, someone gave me The Stand many years ago - dog-eared and obviously cherished, I quit half-way through. I've always felt a little shame quitting on that book, but I just couldn't bear the burden anymore of having to love it.

I read the first of the Dark Tower series (Gunslinger, right?) and sorta felt ho-hum. The collection that Kell mentions was very good and I enjoyed them all, even though a little creeped out at The Apt Pupil.

I also read a book called The Colorado Kid, which had an awesome vintage cover. It's hard for me to discuss my feelings about that book. King tells us that he won't give us the solution to the mystery - which could come across as rather arrogant and hint that he felt it was merely an exercise in story-telling. There is an old adage, "a comp exercise shouldn't make it to the stage", and if his publisher is taking stuff he's just fooling around with: I feel suckered.

I like his writing style, it's almost conversational and not "a novel" at all. Someday I'll come across some of his books that I like, so far it's been the short stories in the collection that Kell mentioned - and that, seems to be that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've liked Stephen King for a while now and got a few of his books, I bought Salem's Lot yesterday and am currently reading it. It's pretty good so far. My favorite books by King are IT, Pet Semetary, Needful Things, Four Past Midnight. I've not read The Shining yet which is the book I planned on buying yesterday but couldn't find it so settled for Salem's Lot which I am happy with. I've seen the movie adaptation of The Shining with Jack Nicholson which is pretty cool and also seen the TV movie of IT which I enjoyed also.

Hello and welcome tot he forum, Ian! I loved Needful Things too - the tension slowly building up as the whole town gets ready to implode is fantastic!

Hello! Needful Things, Pet Cemetery, and Salem's Lot are three of my favorite Stephen King novels, but my all time favorite is The Stand. I haven't read It yet, but it's on my TBR list! Welcome to the forum! :lol:

I agree - The Stand and It are 2 of his best. Does anybody prefer his novellas or short stories? I personally think you'd have to go a long way to beat The Langoliers from Four Past Midnight!

I agree - The Stand and It are 2 of his best. Does anybody prefer his novellas or short stories? I personally think you'd have to go a long way to beat The Langoliers from Four Past Midnight!

My favourite King novel is definitely The Stand, but my favourite SK collection of novellas/short stories is Different Seasons - some of the best writing I've read by ANY author is in that book!

Apt Pupil is one of his creepiest stories, but my favourite from Different Seasons is The Body - although it's set in 1960 it's somehow evocative of my own childhood in the seventies and eighties (although I don't recall ever coming across a dead body!).

SK's shorter works definitely deliver more of a punch!

• 1 month later...

I've recently read Blaze, written as Richard Bachman. King didn't exactly give it a great build-up in the introduction, but it wasn't a bad story. I can see why it wasn't published earlier in his career though - average is the best I can say about it.