Willoyd's reading 2010-2011

willoyd

Day 5: A book that makes me happy

Oh dear - there are loads that satisfy both this and Day 6, so to help narrow things down I'm going to add one or two extra rules to this challenge:

(1) Try to avoid repeating authors and/or books.

(2) Try to avoid plot spoilers.

I might add more later!

I wish I had thought of adding those rules to the challenge because I know I repeated authors and books far too frequently. I probably, unintentionally, did a lot of plot spoiling too. But then I found it hard to complete the challenge, I think I'd still be there now if I hadn't allowed myself the luxury of giving 'Pride & Prejudice' as every third or fourth answer :D

On that front, to say whether a book makes me happy or sad will quite often act as a plot spoiler. But I don't think the following is giving much away!

So my nomination for this is going to be pretty much any of the Regency novels by Georgette Heyer, one of the best known being The Grand Sophy:

Not your typical reading for a man, I know, but I was introduced to these by my mother, who was a great fan, because she knew how much I enjoyed history, especially that period. Not a book I took to school though! I loved the history, loved the adventures (there's always an adventure!), and somehow they always landed up with the right result on the very last page. I haven't read one for a few years now, but they were always guaranteed to put a smile on my face, and provided exactly the sort of light reading that could lift me out of a touch of the glooms.

Now this is interesting, I don't think I've ever read any of Georgette Heyer's books and I'm not quite sure why because I quite like historical fiction and she's definitely an author that I come across quite frequently whilst out book searching. Is 'The Grand Sophy' the one you'd most recommend Willoyd?

I didn't dislike 'Emma' but I didn't like her much either (in character that is .. I loved the book in general.) The one Austen book that I found dreary and a bit of a struggle was 'Mansfield Park', I guess I just didn't warm to Fanny or Edmund enough. Having said that, as with all Austens, there's plenty in the book to enjoy amongst all the gossip and intrigue. Even though I didn't like Fanny all that much my blood used to boil at Aunt Norris .. what a gem of a character she is .. absolutely horrific (and there's a great deal of pleasure to be had in reading about wicked characters, they can stir up your emotions more than any hero/heroine.) I've read Jane's unfinished novels too and always with regret for what might have been (especially for 'Sanditon' because it seemed she was trying something a little different.) Other authors have attempted to finish them but I wouldn't want to read them. I don't like it when other author's write prequels/sequels to the classics either (though I have read a few) and absolutely hated Emma Tennant's 'Pemberley' .. I recognized the characters in name only. I didn't like Susan Hill's 'Mrs de Winter' either despite being a Hill fan in general (though it was far better than 'Pemberley'.) There are exceptions to the rule of course, I haven't read it but I know 'Wide Sargasso Sea' is thought to be exquisite and I will read it one day despite my natural prejudice. I suppose we should be grateful that we have six completed Jane novels but, being greedy, I'm not :irked: Frequent re-reads are the only answer.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had thought of adding those rules to the challenge because I know I repeated authors and books far too frequently.

I don't think I'm going to manage it completely, although I'm hoping that it'll just be the author that I repeat, and not the book.

Now this is interesting, I don't think I've ever read any of Georgette Heyer's books and I'm not quite sure why because I quite like historical fiction and she's definitely an author that I come across quite frequently whilst out book searching. Is 'The Grand Sophy' the one you'd most recommend Willoyd?

It's generally recognised as one of her stronger ones, although they are fairly consistent (as is the story - we are talkig fun here, not ground breaking literature, although one can learn a lot about the period as her history is equally generally recognised as strong).

A good introduction to her novels is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A757343 .

I didn't dislike 'Emma' but I didn't like her much either (in character that is .. I loved the book in general.)

I'd agree - I think Emma isn't the nicest of characters, although she hopefully learns from the experience, and with Mr Knightley on hand?

The one Austen book that I found dreary and a bit of a struggle was 'Mansfield Park'...

It was certainly not one of the best! It dragged a bit for me too, and unlike the others, I'm in no hurry to reread, although I probably will do one day.

I don't like it when other authors write prequels/sequels to the classics either (though I have read a few)...There are exceptions to the rule of course, I haven't read it but I know 'Wide Sargasso Sea' is thought to be exquisite and I will read it one day despite my natural prejudice.

Again, I'd agree. I can't recall any that I've read - I just don't go for them at all*. I've always thought of Wide Sargasso Sea as a bit different though - it's not really aimed at developing the Jane Eyre characters, but taking a whole different slant (if one can discount the first wife as a 'character') Having the same characters is almost a coincidence!

*Actually, I tell a lie. I'm a bit of a fan of the Laurie R King novels about Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. There have been some other decent follow-ups too (and some absolute dross!).

Day 10: Your favourite classic

Which, of course, begs the question, what is a classic? Difficult, but one criteria that is sometimes used and which I'm going to use is that it's more than 100 years old, I.e. pre-WW1. Which suits me, as I'm not a great fan of 20th century 'classics' as a whole, with one or two glaring exceptions (e.g. Virginia Woolf).

On the other hand, I love 19th century classics, which leaves quite a lot to choose from, so I'm going to split it into 3 categories:

Favourite 18th century classic: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Yes, I know it was published in 1811, but Jane Austen is very much more of the 18th than the 19th century, the long 18th century which some historians refer to. Most people seem to prefer Pride and Prejudice (I do sometimes wonder how much that is down to Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth or their predecessors), or Persuasion. I love both books, just as I love all the Austen oeuvre (even Mansfield Park), but for me there is something very special about the mix of this book: the sharp contrast between Marianne and Elinor, the mix of characters (both male and female), some wicked humour (I just love the early scene where Mrs John Dashwood persuads her husband to do absolutely nothing for the rest of his family), the way the narrative works out - satisfying but not fairy tale, with an interesting twist at the point of resolution. This was the first of her published books, indeed the original version was written when she was 19 (OMG - how could a teenager write like this?!), and one can see where some of her later characters came from. Glorious, just glorious, enhanced by the wonderful Ang Lee film scripted by Emma Thompson (surely one of the most deserved Oscars ever).

Favourite 19th century classic: Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Yes, I know he all too often uses 5 words (sometimes 10 or more!) where one would have been enough, and this is one of his bigger books, but having enjoyed but not raved about a couple of his other books, this was the one that finally grabbed me, right from that amazing opening chapter where all he does is describe the London fog. Brrrrr! Gets you right down the spine! It's big, it's powerful, there's drama and mystery, there's an amazing cast of hundreds all drawn in Dickens's inimitable way, the setting is incredible, and the plotting mind-blowing. Just incredible. I read it at the time the TV adaptation came out, refusing to watch the latter until I'd read the book (happens quite a lot - thank goodness for DVDs!). In fact, I started it once and had to stop when I realised that my work was suffering at the busiest time of the year, and I sat down to read it in the summer holidays. Totally unputdownable. Then I watched the TV version, and it was good, very good, in fact it was brilliant, including the way it was reduced to 30 minute slots to make it equate more to Dickens's serialisations (leading to all sorts of discussion about relationships with soap operas - see this really interesting article) even if it had to inevitably be simplified. But the book is simply one of the greatest.

Favourite foreign classic: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Yes, I like 'em big, and they don't get much bigger than this! One of those books that people often find really daunting, it's iconic of the big book, but it's so readable that it never felt to be a challenge - right from page one I really wanted to read it. A driving narrative, an even bigger cast than Dickens, a huge stage, and yet Tolstoy never loses his grip. I've read W&P twice now, and each time it's been pretty much unputdownable. One of the few books that was even better second time round, rereading it a couple of years ago, having first read it as a teenager.

Can I choose between them? Agonisingly difficult, and I could probably only really tell by rereading them with that idea in mind. On a desert island, I'd probably take W&P purely because it would last me the longest. Bleak House is the most gripping - the intricacy of the plot is just amazing, and I'm a great fan of crime mysteries of which this is one of the earliest. But if push came to shove it might by a hair's breadth (and not even a human hair - too big) be Sense and Sensibility - it's just so perfectly formed, and would probably bear repeated reading the most. But what a horrible choice, possibly the most difficult of this series of questions.

Edited by willoyd

Day 9: A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

There are loads of books where I wasn't certain whether I would like it or not, and almost feared I wouldn't like, but the one that jumps to mind as expecting not to like it but absolutely loving it isEmma by Jane Austen.

post-5780-0-79162700-1314723763_thumb.jpg

Emma was one of my set books at A-Level, and I have to admit I not only noted it on the reading list with a sinking heart, but really hated it whilst studying it during my first year. But then I decided to read all my texts as straightforward books over the summer holidays, and discovered that I adored it - I needed to read it as a complete book. I loved it to such an extent that within six months I had read all her other novels, other than Mansfield Park which I saved up for later in life (I read it a couple of years ago). I prefer several of her other books, but it is unlikely that without having Emma to study that I'd have got around to them until much more recently. As it is, they have provided me with huge pleasure, and continue to do so, as they are all reread regularly.

Emma is my favourite Jane Austen book. I like all of her books, but Emma is most definitely my favourite. Jane Austen said that she had created a character that nobody except her would like, but I think she was a bit harsh(!) because despite Emma's meddling etc., I really liked her :)

Emma is my favourite Jane Austen book. I like all of her books, but Emma is most definitely my favourite. Jane Austen said that she had created a character that nobody except her would like, but I think she was a bit harsh(!) because despite Emma's meddling etc., I really liked her :)

Yes, when I said she wasn't the nicest of characters, I was being overly harsh and shorthand too. Longer hand, I think Emma is still young, and all she's had to date is a rather indulgent companion and a fairly useless father (on the parenting front): she's having to learn for herself, and she's in rather a privileged position which will give her a certain view on life. Basically, she needs to grow up, and for me a lot of the book is about that. On the plus side, whilst she is capable of being decidely unpleasant, she is willing to learn from her mistakes. And they are mistakes rather than her being at heart an unpleasant person. So whilst for a fair bit of the book she isn't the nicest of people, you know that she's OK at heart, and that she's got the potential to be so. I DO like Emma (if I didn't, I couldn't like the book), just not the way she behaves!

Edited by willoyd

Oh, I didn't think you were harsh really. She did indulge in some naughty and selfish behaviour, and was probably the most unlikeable of all of Austen's heroines. I just kind of liked her humanity - she didn't behave very well at times, but flawed characters are usually more interesting than perfect ones. As you say, she was very young and had been indulged by those around her. That's why I thought Mr Knightley was perfect for her; he loved her, but wasn't prepared to let her get away with treating people badly. She had a lot of growing up to do though!

Emma was the first Austen book I read, and upon first reading I thought it was okay, but not brilliant. It was only after reading some of JA's other books and then rereading Emma that I loved the book. Definitely my favourite now - followed closely by Persuasion, and Pride and Prejudice, with Sense and Sensibility behind them, and then Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park.

Emma was the first Austen book I read, and upon first reading I thought it was okay, but not brilliant. It was only after reading some of JA's other books and then rereading Emma that I loved the book. Definitely my favourite now - followed closely by Persuasion, and Pride and Prejudice, with Sense and Sensibility behind them, and then Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park.

I wonder if Emma is one of those books that needs rereading - that looks very much like what happened to me. Interesting, also, how whilst everybody's order of preference varies, Mansfield Park rarely makes it out of the bottom two. If pushed, I think my order would probably currently be S&S, Persuasion, Emma, P&P, Northanger, Mansfield Park, although 2nd-4th is close.

Kept by DJ Taylor *

Subtitled "A Victorian Mystery", I was looking forward to reading this, having dipped in when buying, but having completed the first hundred pages I've ground to a halt. I quite enjoy the writing style, even if I think it overeggs the Victoriana, but at this point there seems to be hardly any plot, and definitely no properly established characters. Lots have been introduced, but none have moved beyond that stage. Taylor is good at the visual description, although everything is grey and gloomy, but there is insufficient to really engage the senses, and what's the point of describing a character in minute detail, if you promptly dispose of them? All in all, it just seems to be going nowhere, very, very slowly, and the writing isn't enough to want me to carry on - there's far too many good books in this world to persist with those that just aren't working.

Edited by willoyd

I wonder if Emma is one of those books that needs rereading - that looks very much like what happened to me. Interesting, also, how whilst everybody's order of preference varies, Mansfield Park rarely makes it out of the bottom two. If pushed, I think my order would probably currently be S&S, Persuasion, Emma, P&P, Northanger, Mansfield Park, although 2nd-4th is close.

Mine would be Pride & Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Sense & Sensibility, Persuasion, Emma and Mansfield Park (though, like you, there's hardly anything between 2nd-4th) but it's only Mansfield that I find a bit dull.

Day 11: A book you hated

Another day where there's quite a lot of choice, so I'm going to go for the most recent:

post-5780-0-14066400-1314868761_thumb.jpg

Homecoming by Bernhard Schlink. Indeed, having almost equally disliked The Reader it may simply be the author (not personally, just his books!) rather than any one book of his. I can't quite put my finger precisely on why, but over the two books I developed absolutely no empathy with the characters, found them (the books) unremittingly grim, and, whilst I could see the point of The Reader, felt that Homecoming disintegrated into one of the silliest second halves of a book I've read to date. As I said in a (brief) review at the time, I think that, in spite of a real love of the country, I have a bit of a problem with German writers (at least those writing for adults), finding their work generally really turgid, hard work, and often desperately issue driven. I'm sure there are exceptions, and would love to know of them, but it does seem a trend.

Edited by willoyd

Day 12: A book you used to love but don't anymore

Hmmm. The first category where, to be honest, I'm completely stumped. I can't think in of any. I suspect that if I went back to some of my reads as a child, they wouldn't have quite the same aura about them, but even then, when I have gone back to books, I've stil enjoyed and whilst I might not love them in the same way, I can see why I did, and still retain my passion for the effect they had on me. However, there are quite a few books which I initially detested but now like, even love (see my previous comments about Emma for instance, but not this way round.

So, as I can't think of any to satisfy today's challenge, I'm going to take the liberty on this one occasion to twist it around to reread:

Day 12 revisited: A book that you used to hate but don't anymore.

I'm doing this partly because I've just done that with one book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding

post-5780-0-54720500-1314944969_thumb.jpg

We were read this book in class when I was about 13, and I absolutely hated it. As I've seen it ever since, the teacher made the error of mistaking a book about children for a book for children (although maybe he thought we were more mature than I was). Ever since, Lord of the Flies has stood alone at the top of my most hated novels. But then, after some discussion with other readers, I decided to reread it last year, over 30 years later. And I really enjoyed it! Indeed, I was struck by how much happens, how vividly it is portrayed, and how well developed all the elements are in such a short work. I can't say I love it, that would be going too far (is it a loveable book?), but it is a far, far better book than I ever initially thought.

So why did I hate it so? I think partly because I simply wasn't ready for it: it's very simply written which might lull one into thinking it's a good children's book, but the issues it deals with and the undercurrents, are anything but childlike. I also think there's another reason, but I'm not going into that now as it looks as if it might be more relevant to another, yet to come, day's challenge!

Edited by willoyd

Day 13: Your favourite author

If I had been asked this question 18 months, the answer would have been very simple - Jane Austen. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd first read her when studying A-Levels, and she had sustained her top billing in my book ever since. However, at around that time I read my first book by Virginia Woolf, and she has rapidly developed into my number one author.

post-5780-0-22706400-1315034132_thumb.jpg

I always find it difficult to say precisely why something or someone is a favourite or otherwise - it is really the total package and how you interact with it or them. I know she has a fearsome reputation, and yes, she can be challenging to read (not a a bedtime read!), but I just find that when I'm reading her books I'm completely and utterly wrapped up in them. I think it's something to do with the rhythms, the lyricism of her writing, which is almost hypnotic, and find her characters and settings wonderfully evoked. She so completely gets inside a character that, with virtually no 'telling' at all, the reader really feels they know the person concerned. You really do see the world from their point of view, to such an extent that if she then transfers to another person's viewpoint, it comes as an almighty shock - there is another perspective on this!

But why she is a particular favourite is that I also love her non-fiction: her essays, diaries, letters are all as fascinating to read as her fiction and, in their own ways, as beautifully written (completely different style!). I have to admit I've only started really getting into these, but I'm hooked.

And, on top of all that, or maybe partly the cause of all that, she is a fascinating person in her own way: reading Hermione Lee's biography has been one of the highlights of the year for me, not just because it's a supremely well written book (it is!), but because it's subject is so interesting. Complex is an understatement, but what a writer!!

Edited by willoyd

Day 14: Your favourite book of your favourite writer

I've not read all by any means, but as things stand at present, my favourite Virginia Woolf book is To The Lighthouse. Aside from showing off all the things I think she is brilliant at, there is a completeness to it that left a very satisfied feeling when I finished, and a depth that makes me want to go back and start again almost immediately. Other books of hers have generated a similar reaction, but this was the strongest. A close challenger for my all-time favourite book - in the top half dozen - even if not currently quite at the very top (I keep changing my mind!).

BTW, I couldn't upload a picture of the cover. Every time I try, I get an error message saying "The server returned an error during upload". Seems to happen whatever the picture. Anybody else having this problem, or with a possible answer?

Edited by willoyd

Day 15: Your favourite male character

This ia actually more difficult than I anticipated. Almost every great 'character' I can think of is female (I can already see that's going to be difficult in a completely different way). Fortunately, there are one or two who jump reasonably quickly to mind (including Guido Brunetti and Horatio Hornblower), but the one I'm going to plump for is Jack Aubrey from the series of books written by Patrick O'Brian. I like him beause he is so human - with all his strengths (brilliant sea captain) and weaknesses (anything on land, especially dealing with other people). Even though I'm not one of his greatest fans, I thought Russell Crowe did an excellent job with his character in the film too.

]

Edited by willoyd

Day 13: Your favourite author

If I had been asked this question 18 months, the answer would have been very simple - Jane Austen. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd first read her when studying A-Levels, and she had sustained her top billing in my book ever since. However, at around that time I read my first book by Virginia Woolf, and she has rapidly developed into my number one author.

Couldn't agree with you more, she's a challenge but a rewarding one.

Day 14: Your favourite book of your favourite writer

I've not read all by any means, but as things stand at present, my favourite Virginia Woolf book is To The Lighthouse.

Oh no .. I've peaked too soon :D I've read her best book already. Actually I thought that might be the case, I fell in love with it totally but I'm still eager to try her other works.

Day 15: Your favourite male character

This ia actually more difficult than I anticipated. Almost every great 'character' I can think of is female (I can already see that's going to be difficult in a completely different way). Fortunately, there are one or two who jump reasonably quickly to mind (including Guido Brunetti and Horatio Hornblower), but the one I'm going to plump for is Jack Aubrey from the series of books written by Patrick O'Brian.

I've not actually read anything by Patrick at all, I quite like books about the sea (are they very swashbuckling?) so I'll look out for them.

Oh no .. I've peaked too soon :D I've read her best book already. Actually I thought that might be the case, I fell in love with it totally but I'm still eager to try her other works.

But, as I've said, I've not read all of hers by any means, and it was a close call: I have a particular fondness for The Years especially. And I've barely scratched the surface of her essays, letters and diaries!

I've not actually read anything by Patrick at all, I quite like books about the sea (are they very swashbuckling?) so I'll look out for them.

There is a fair amount of swash being buckled (or is it buckling being swashed?!), but it's not all by any means. One of things I like about these novels is how well rounded the characters actually are. A fair bit is based on the life of Thomas Cochrane (whose biography is definitely swashbuckling!), but there are other real incidents involved - The Mauritius Command for instance, is based very closely on a real campaign. The real story is covered in Stephen Taylor's superb Storm and Conquest, as part of a very exciting account of the Indian Ocean war from 1808-1810. If you like your swash buckled, then this is another must!

Edited by willoyd

Day 16: Your favourite female character

Almost impossible, there are just so many to choose from: in the crime department alone there is VI Warshawki (Sara Paretsky), Hannah Wolfe (Sarah Dunant), Mary Russell (Lauren R King) and Sam Jones (Lauren Henderson); classically, Jane Austen invented a fistful, including Elinor Dashwood and Anne Elliott, or what about Marian Halcombe (Woman in White) combining crime and classical? Or in the younger generations, maybe the real hero of the Harry Potter series, Hermione Granger, or the wonderful Cassandra Mortmain (Dodie Smith), or calm, sensible Flora Poste (Stella Gibbons)? Or on the slightly seamier side of life, perhaps Fiammetta Bianchini (Sarah Dunant again!), or the feisty, devious, delicious Becky Sharp?

However, after much thought, and much changing of mind (it kept me occupied through a particularly tedious training session at work!), I think that it has to be Gudrid Thorsbjorndottir, the heroine of Margaret Elphinstone's The Sea Road. I know that I have already included the book, and I know that I could have chosen any one of those above ore more and kept to my rule of avoiding repetition, but once I thought about her, I really couldn't say no. She may have been a real person, featuring in the sagas, but is a mere cipher in those. Being based on a real person, I wondered if this might be a cheat nominating her, but it's only in Elphinstone's fiction that she comes really alive, stepping out of the shadows of those male dominated stories, right into centre stage, a strong, independent woman carving out her niche right on the extreme limits of the known world, talking directly to you the reader. I couldn't get enough of her or her story.

Edited by willoyd

Day 17: Your favourite quote from your favourite book

Simple this question: I don't have one. I've never really been into quotes. There are a few that strike a chord, but on the whole I don't like phrases being taken out of context, and can barely, if ever, remember them anyway. It's the book in its entirety that I enjoy.

On the other hand, I do have some favourite openings, which I suppose can be counted as favourite quotes. One I often use with the children, because it so grabbed me at the time I read the book, is from Philip Reeves's Mortal Engines (one of my favourite children's books):

It was a dark blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.

The picture that conjures up is amazing, and I was hooked instantaneously.

Edited by willoyd

That's a great quote Willoyd :)I've only read one of Phillip Reeve's books and that was .... *goes to look it up* ... 'Fever Crumb'. I meant to read more because I thought it was so imaginative but you know how it is, other books barged their way in front :D You've reminded me to look him up again.

I'm one of those annoying people who are always quoting out of context (not to all and sundry ... but to hubby and mum etc.) One of my faves to use if the person I'm talking to doesn't seem to be liking something is .. 'the case seems to be that you are determined against poor John, is not it so?' (one of Isabella's quotes in Northanger Abbey) ... which of course makes absolutely no sense at all. They're used to it though and humour me. They've yet to reply 'I certainly cannot return his affection' ... but you never know one day they just might and I'll be so happy that at last they've read the book.

Day 18: A book that disappointed you

Another one that is simple to answer, but this time because one jumps out at me straightaway: Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders

I had been looking forward to reading this for a while, not least having seen Alex Kington's portrayal on the TV which I loved. But when I finally came to read it, rather than the rollicking good story with bite that came over in the dramatised version, I found a stilted, indeed wooden, account, with no life to it whatsoever; I couldn't bring myself to finish it even.

So - one of those rare occasions when the TV was better than the book.

On Philip Reeves, Poppy, I would definitely give Philip Reeves another go - I've been impressed with his writing: really good out-and-out adventure. As for your Northanger Abbey quote - 'nuff said!

Edited by willoyd

Day 19: Favourite book turned into a movie

Loads! Quite a few have been mentioned already, but I'm going to apply my non-repeating rule rigorously here to help me sort this one out. So, it's not going to be Sense and Sensibility, or Bleak House (counting TV adaptations as movies!), or indeed Master and Commander, all leading contenders - superb films of superb books.

No, my choice is going to be another superb film of another favourite book: A Very Long Engagement by Sebastian Japrisot.

The book had already established itself as a favourite long before the film came to the cinemas. However, the film was one of those that has also become a favourite. It's in French, with sub-titles (which you forget about very quickly), which I think adds to the atmosphere, with the wondrous Audrey Tautou in the lead role. She is investigating what happened to her lover, who was shot in WW1 for deliberate self-harm in trying to get a discharge. The mystery ratchets up remorselessly, never letting go throughout (and that applies to both book and film!). One not to miss.

Edited by willoyd

Day 20: Favourite romance

Missed a day as away out of touch, so catching up tonight.

On the basis that I'm not allowed to include those mentioned up to now, I'm going to nominate Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy - not a conventional romance maybe, but there's plenty of romance in it! A brilliant book, that kept me enthralled from start to finish, with the setting of early independent India being just as important a theme as the main threads. If that's not sufficiently romantic, then it would have to be Nancy Mitford's Love in A Cold Climate - not just romance (heart-breakingly so), but screamingly funny in places.

Edited by willoyd

Day 21: Favourite book from childhood

There's a fair number of favourites from childhood, but one series stuck with me for years, and was the first set of books I ever collected: The Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome, out of which I'm going to name Winter Holiday as perhaps my favourite. Most people say it's We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea, and this is up there, but I loved the winter setting and the stories the children built around that - and S&A always means the Lakes to me (although Secret Water was also a big favourite).

Edited by willoyd

Day 22: Favourite book that you own

The implication is that this is more about the volume than the words. The one I go to most often is the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. I go to it almost every day, and think it's the most amazing repository of information that there is.

However, if it's a book that I would read, then I'd probably say that, rather than name one book, I'd nominate the set of Charles Dickens books that I own - published by the Folio Society, and incorporating the most amazing illustrations by Charles Keeping. I've got a number of limited edition books etc which I love, but this just has everything - great to handle, great to read (font size and text is perfect), superb illustrations, and wonderful covers, made up of a collage of illustrations in the book. For an example, I've attached the cover of Bleak House below. I just love reading these - it's a whole different experience.

Well - I tried attaching the cover, but keep getting the message "The server returned an error during upload". Anybody able to help as to why?

Edited by willoyd

Day 23: A book that you've always been meaning to try, but haven't

Another one where there are loads of possible answers, but a couple stand out like a sore thumb, of which I'm going to nominate Les Miserables. Just never seem to get around to getting going, even when my teenage son (who had just finished it) urged me to. It's going to have to be a summer holiday read, as there's no time for a big doorstop like that one at any other time, but I've missed the boat this year. Maybe next!

Edited by willoyd