Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers

Tui

Hi everyone,

I've searched for this book on here and couldn't find it, so I hope I'm not duplicating another thread! :)

I've just finished reading this book for a second time, and really want to share it with people!!

The blurb from the back:

'When a friend dies, Julia Garnet goes to stay in Venice, where a lifetime of caution is challenged. She encounters the paintings in the local church which tell the story of Tobias and the Angel. The ancient tale of Tobias, who travels to Media unaware he is accompanied by the Archangel Raphael, unfolds alongside Julia Garnet's contemporary journey. As she unravels the story's history, Julia's own life is thrown into question - for, like the shifting sea-light of Venice, nothing here is quite as it seems. Salley Vickers writes with a poise and a wait which belies the novel's deeper themes: love, death and the growth of the human spirit. This many-layered novel truly defies the usual categories.'

This is such a beautiful, gentle, affecting tale! At first glance it may sound dull - an elderly virgin spinster who moves to Venice almost on a whim. But it is really quite extraordinary how you gradually see this character transformed, without it being spelt out explicitly by the author.

To begin with I didn't care much for this brittle woman who has spent her entire life being afraid of letting people in and as a result is cold and barbed, and who seems to look on the entire world with disdain. But as she experiences a completely new culture it has a much bigger impact on her than she expected, and I started to grow really fond of her! The way in which Vicker's describes it is beautiful and subtle. I actually enjoyed this book more the second time round because I noticed more and more hints of her transformation - the fact that, in a church, she actually ducks under a rope to get into a part of the building forbidden to the public. A small, seemingly insignificant act, that actually speaks volumes! As someone who has always adhered to the rules she would previously have been shocked if anyone did this!

The characters are mostly believable and appealing and all have some kind of impact on Julia Garnet. The story of Tobias and the Angel is also told throughout, which is just as fascinating. It's made me more interested in religious stories and their origins - and much more interested in angels!!

I recently posted a thread on here asking if anyone knew of any stories of people who had moved abroad to start a new life (as I'm about to do the same) and then suddenly rediscovered this one! It's so lovely and life-affirming and I really really want everyone to read it to see if you enjoyed it as much as me!!!

Go on, go on!! :D

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the third Salley Vicker's book I've read in a row because I love her writing so much. The story starts deceptively simply then develops all sorts of layers and parallels. Your review is very good Tui :) I loved the angel Rapheal too and did a bit of research into the Book of Tobit (which I'd never heard of before) and the Apocrypha. Julia Garnet, at the beginning is an atheist and strict communist but Venice weaves it's particular magic over her and she becomes fascinated by the paintings and religious stories that it is steeped in.