Hi, from the planet Neptune

BookThane1590

Jersey. I hail from Neptune, New Jersey.

Is that lame? Yea, I know it's a lame joke, and I haven't heard anybody say that since I was about 10.

I honestly don't know what to say, because there's a million things to say, but I don't want to be stupid and say everything at once. I've written and erased what I've written 2 or 3 times now. Since I have no idea what to say, I will say that I'm an open, friendly book and all questions are welcome.

Hey Peace, how goes it? Where are you from?

Favorite genres ... I don't really go by genre, I just go by whatever looks or sounds good. Right off the bat, I'd say I'm horror/suspense because it's what I prefer to write and read, but I won't reject anything. I look at the book first and don't really pay attention to the genre. It is what it is.

Favorite authors: Stephen King used to be my favorite of favorites when I was 14, but since then I've changed my mind. H.P. Lovecraft might be my new favorite, besides Dean Koontz, J.K. Rowling, W.P. Blatty, the author of Beowulf, Shakespeare, Bram Stoker, Ann Patchett, Lucy Grealy, Jane Austen, E.A. Poe and Palahniuk.

Thanks, CaliLily. I saw your profile on Deviant Art, and I love it. You're an artist? What kind? I used to want to be a visual artist, the crazy-starving artist kind who are colored by paint more than their natural complexion and immigrate to New York to live some crazy exotic lifestyle.

H.P. Lovecraft might be my new favorite, besides Dean Koontz, J.K. Rowling, W.P. Blatty, the author of Beowulf, Shakespeare, Bram Stoker, Ann Patchett, Lucy Grealy, Jane Austen, E.A. Poe and Palahniuk.

Can you recommend some good HP Lovecraft to someone who hasn't read any before? I often see the books around but don't know where to start.

We like a lot of the same authors. I look forward to discussing them with you. :)

I'm in Minne-so-cold, BookThane, and by the looks of your fave authors list you'll fit right in here! :D

I used to read lots of King back in the 80's, but I'm afraid I've only read a handful of other horror/suspense books since then. Always looking to broaden my horizons though! Again, welcome :).

Thanks, CaliLily. I saw your profile on Deviant Art, and I love it. You're an artist? What kind? I used to want to be a visual artist, the crazy-starving artist kind who are colored by paint more than their natural complexion and immigrate to New York to live some crazy exotic lifestyle.

Thanks :) My main focus right now is photography but I also paint and do charcoals and regular pencil sketching. New York is amazing. I've been there once before and look forward to spending more time there in the future. Its definitely a city full of eccentric flavours and adventure :D How about you? Do yo have a DA profile or anything?

I'd be anxious for some HP Lovecraft recommendations too. I've heard the name around quite a bit but haven't really looked into any books.

Awesome! I love discussing books too; it's part of the reason I'm here. I saw your profile on Goodreads and I'm very tempted to sign up there too.

Anyway, on to Mr. Lovecraft. I really don't have a favorite to recommend; they're all my favorite because they're so freakishly creepy. The first that I ever read of him was The Call of Cthulhu, and I've been addicted ever since. I'd say start with that, because it was my first, and it scared the **** out of me (I couldn't sleep that night, and when I did I had nightmares). That, and I can't remember much else that I read by him. I have 3 books of his short stories, and one of authors who wrote stories inspired by him (featuring authors like Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell and Brian Lumley), but I haven't read all of these. When I do read Lovecraft, I read a couple stories every couple years. I'm afraid that if I read him more frequently than that, the novelty of his horror will be lost on me.

Thanks BookThane. I have made a note of that title and will look out for it. :)

You're welcome, Kylie.

And for any other Lovecraft virgins, I'd hate to leave you all with only one story to go on, so I'm trying to make a list, and all these other short stories are just coming back to me, so please bear with me. Note: NO SPOILERS INCLUDED (I'm not that mean), but I wanted to give a short summary of each.

The Whisperer in Darkness is about a Massachusetts teacher who answers a newspaper ad, written by a Vermont resident, about creepy animal remains found in the river. Since the remains are of unknown origin, they compile a lot of evidence and theories about where they came from, realizing too late that they should have left the remains alone.

The Shadow out of Time takes place in Australia and is about a man who finds some ancient ruins and, after exploring a bit, he has freakishly creepy dreams that are so real to him that he toils with his sanity for years, not knowing whether or not to believe them.

The Call of Cthulhu is written in the first person, inviting you to join the main character on his terrifying journey to piece together the road that shouldn't have been taken, by his uncle and led to his mysterious death, and could pose the same fate for the rest of the world.

That's just a few. All those can be found in The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre.

Hiya BookThane and welcome to the forum! :)

By the way, is your Neptune, New Jersey the Neptune where Veronica Mars was tracking down her best friend's murderer? Awesome show :D

Oh my God, I'm in love with you. I love you for knowing that! I wish it was that Neptune, but unfortunately it's not. It's one of my favorite shows too. Love Joss Whedon too.

Oh my God, I'm in love with you. I love you for knowing that! I wish it was that Neptune, but unfortunately it's not. It's one of my favorite shows too. Love Joss Whedon too.

:D I have to say you have good taste :) I didn't enjoy the second season that much but the first one was just brilliant, the season finale was really spooky. I have to confess I even cried during it :) Brilliant characters and brilliant plotlines and brilliant actors <3

I didn't know the series was by Joss Whedon though! He's genious, Buffy is also one of my favorite tv-series :D (I have the hots for Spike...)

Edit: I hope you don't change your mind about me when you hear that I've also watched The Jersey Shore -series ;) Drama, drama, drama...!