Tattoos!

Nollaig

@BookJumper found this - how it helps

Step 1

Talk to people who have tattoos about their experiences with tattoo artists. If you like the work they are wearing, ask for a referral.

Step 2

Go online and read about tattoo artists and the art of tattoo to help you understand industry standards and expectations.

Step 3

Look through tattoo magazines to find out who the award-winning tattoo artists are and where the tattoo shows are going to be in your area.

Qualities of a Professional Tattoo Shop

Step 1

Once you have decided on a tattoo shop, go take a look around and note whether or not the business is adhering to safety standards. The shop should be clean in appearance. Artists should not be eating or drinking in their work areas.

Step 2

Look for an autoclave that is being used for sterilization. Ask to see the most recent test results for the spore test done on the autoclave. This test insures that the autoclave is working properly and should be done every two months.

Step 3

Notice if the artists in the shop are wearing gloves. All of the items used in the tattoo process-ointments, ink trays, antiseptics, and especially needles-should be in one-time use packages. Needles should be taken out of the package in front of the customer.

Step 4

All surfaces-tattoo table, cords and instruments-should be covered in a moisture shield such as plastic wrap. This measure protects everyone from infection from airborne pathogens.

Step 5

Take a look at the flash art work on the walls of the shop. It should look professionally printed and the artist should be credited on the flash poster. Artists respect their work and the work of others, and displaying artwork without giving due credit is unethical. You do not want an original work of art placed on your skin by an unethical person. Avoid shops that display bootleg flash.

Step 6

If the shop and the artist check out, consult the artist. Look at photos of his previous work and plan your tattoo. If you feel comfortable with the artist and share a vision for your tattoo, book an appointment to get it done.

Edited by Cookie
it looked funny

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding knowing which parlour to go to. Try and speak to people who are local to your area who are more acquainted with the local tattooists on forums etc. (they dont have to be tattoo based forums), they will tell you without doubt who is worth going to and who to avoid. Or just browse some local forums that have already had related discussions.

There is one specific tattooist in one shop who is literally universally recommended by everyone in the city I'm from.

I am warming very much to the idea of having a tattoo that references 'the raven' on my wrist as a result of this thread.

I have been going to the same tattooist for years, I take a picture, if not a picture, explain what I am after. :D

I asked people what tattooist they had gone to, and was told to go to a certain place by most. When I went there to book the thing, the guy was really helpful, the place was very clean and they had a load of examples of their work up on the walls. I'd heard horror stories about the other local place.

When I told them what I wanted (I had it drawn out to the exact size and everything I wanted) they said it'd be fine, and kept a copy of it with my booking. On the day the artist sketched it out, checked I was happy with it, and then spent about 10 minutes helping me figure out exactly where I wanted it to go. Really patient guy. Except when I asked him to do a dry-run first so I could see what the pain was like, he kinda went, 'do you want the tattoo or not?' and I said 'yes, but I don't want to jerk my wrist away with the shock of the needle', and he said fair enough and did the dry-run :D

Edited by Nollaig

I asked people what tattooist they had gone to, and was told to go to a certain place by most. When I went there to book the thing, the guy was really helpful, the place was very clean and they had a load of examples of their work up on the walls. I'd heard horror stories about the other local place.

When I told them what I wanted (I had it drawn out to the exact size and everything I wanted) they said it'd be fine, and kept a copy of it with my booking. On the day the artist sketched it out, checked I was happy with it, and then spent about 10 minutes helping me figure out exactly where I wanted it to go. Really patient guy. Except when I asked him to do a dry-run first so I could see what the pain was like, he kinda went, 'do you want the tattoo or not?' and I said 'yes, but I don't want to jerk my wrist away with the shock of the needle', and he said fair enough and did the dry-run :D

Pain is probably the biggest concern for a a complete newcomer to tattoos. But from my personal experience, as well as seeing friends who have had tattoos for the first time, adrenaline seems to kick in and they come away saying 'is that it?' because they have wound themselves up so much they barely feel it:lol:. It's not that bad, it's not pleasant but its tolerable.

When I went for my first and to date only tattoo the guy doing it insisted on showing me his collection of knives that he had tucked away in a draw :lol: that succeeded in distracting me from the pain a little.:)

That's probably it actually, the adrenalin. I did it under the scariest possible conditions - spur of the moment and by myself (I'll barely go shopping by myself, let alone have ink injected into me) so I was completely psyched for the worst experience possible.

That said, I was thinking about getting a tattoo a few months back and I couldn't even work up the nerve to go into a tattoo parlour, so I think it really just was the 'right time' in my head to get that first one done, and when I'm ready for a second I'll do it no bother.

I don't have a lot of pain getting tattoos but I am a bleeder, which can be a bit scary to see, the most pain I had was with Yomisha reading, it was at one point, so painful, I was almost crying! :D

Well I am a newcomer to tattoos, have none yet, but the pain doesn't worry me at all. Like with all my piercings, it never really bothered me, and actually nothing really hurt. Lip hurt the most, but only barely. Also don't care about bleeding, which is weird because if I cut my fingers accidentally, I can almost pass out. :D But that's because I can't stand anything happening to fingers I guess.

Anyway, for me, with piercings, pain is part of the experience, it would be less fun if it didn't hurt at all. :) Plus, I really wanted all of them, as now with my tattoo, so even if it hurts, I don't care.. my pain threshold is quite high I guess, as far as sharp pains go (give me headache, tummy ache or infection pains and I am a wuss).

The going alone bit.. well I went alone to make the appointment today, and if my mom didn't really really want badly to come along when they do it, I'd rather go alone. I do a lot of things alone, the way I like them.

Too bad there's no spur of the moment thing as far as my tattoo shop goes, might be when they hire another tattoo artist, but they've been trying for years, and none seems to meet their expectations, they're usually gone fast.:lol:

Anyway, for me, with piercings, pain is part of the experience, it would be less fun if it didn't hurt at all. :D Plus, I really wanted all of them, as now with my tattoo, so even if it hurts, I don't care..

Indeed. I don't like the feeling of being tattooed, but tolerating it means that I really want the tattoo done. I think it's completely okay to go through some pain to have something permanent done to your body.

I like going under the needle alone, I don't need or want any friends with me. It is, however, okay if someone wants to come. I once had a friend of mine with me and it had its plus sides, too. She was with me when I got the swallows done, because it took so little time and we were going for a dinner after that, so why not. :-)

Like promised, picture of my cherry blossoms. I wanted them to be delicate and feminine and very pretty. I dress very femininely and use the colour pink as a highlight often, so these indeed suit me. These were done by J-P of a place called Putka, I really liked the result and loved the fact that the guy so completely understood what I was aiming for when I explained what I want.

Click for the pic.

And another one, showing the positioning a bit better. Make-up free me, topped with a silly expression and hair covered in hairspray of the previous night out, yay! :lol:

I've always wanted something geeky and beautiful that reminds me of the wonder of...everything really. I've thought about getting some kind of important equation on the inside of my wrist. That will sound sad to a lot of people but I find that stuff amazing.

But I don't know many things like that. After watching Wonders of the Solar System though I thought maybe a Hertzsprung-Russell diagram would be nice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertzsprung%E2%80%93Russell_diagram). I guess the colours would have to be changed and the shape smoothed out but just a funny shape that charts the life of stars on my wrist? Nice.

Edited by Steeeeve
Spulling. I mean spelling!

I think the idea of getting such an equation tattooed is great, as long as it's not the obvious E=MC2 hee hee. I don't really like the shapes etc of the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, even though that IS something in astronomy I like. Stellar evolution etc. How about something relating to a black hole though, always fascinated me. :) The equation to general relativity? This stuff is almost too difficult for me, crappy as I am at math and physics.. almost. :roll:

But the idea by itself rocks.

That's not geeky... 'ang on, ok, maybe it is geeky, but who ever said that was a bad thing? I think your idea rocks, Steve.

I think the idea of getting such an equation tattooed is great, as long as it's not the obvious E=MC2 hee hee. I don't really like the shapes etc of the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, even though that IS something in astronomy I like. Stellar evolution etc. How about something relating to a black hole though, always fascinated me. :) The equation to general relativity? This stuff is almost too difficult for me, crappy as I am at math and physics.. almost. :roll:

Aww thank ye both. Yeah I wouldn't want an obvious equation. But then the ones that aren't obvious are incredibly difficult to understand (for me). Although all those Greek symbols do look nice. Sigh.

Oop. Better get ready for work. Siiiiigh.

Before you submit to having an obscure sounding equation tattooed on your body, think double entendre and whether you would be happy to be walking around for the rest of your life with one on your body

All i'm saying

That works for every tattoo, and in my opinion, people who get tattoos that are of such a nature that they are regretted later in life.. well they haven't thought it through enough. I mean, I have been wanting a tattoo for about 8 years, never got around to it cause I kept chaging my mind. Which is good, cause otherwise I might have a heartagram tattooed, which is a band logo, of a band that I used to really like, but I really do not like their current music. Now, I'd never get something like a band logo tattooed. But an equation, well those are valid for life, plus in my opinion, if you like this kind of science now, you'll like it always.

I agree it's an awesome tat idea Steve. May look into the idea myself.

@Univerze: H.I.M.? :) You know Ville Valo's tattoo just below his stomach? I know a guy who has the exact same tattoo in the same place. I have to admit, though I'm not a massive H.I.M fan, that tat is awesome.

My tat has two little band logos incorporated into it, which is a nod to the guy who wrote the lyric, because the tattoo itself isn't about him or his music, it's about how I relate to a certain sentiment, among other things. That said, I've loved everything the guy has done in the last ten years and he's still one of my favourite people, so I don't think that'll change anyway.

That works for every tattoo, and in my opinion, people who get tattoos that are of such a nature that they are regretted later in life.. well they haven't thought it through enough. I mean, I have been wanting a tattoo for about 8 years, never got around to it cause I kept chaging my mind. Which is good, cause otherwise I might have a heartagram tattooed, which is a band logo, of a band that I used to really like, but I really do not like their current music. Now, I'd never get something like a band logo tattooed. But an equation, well those are valid for life, plus in my opinion, if you like this kind of science now, you'll like it always.

I know what you mean, my friend was a massive fan of H.I.M when we were in college and got the heartagram tattoo on his wrist, not sure if he regrets it now, as like you he and myself included do not like H.I.M's current music. I do know of people who would like the O from Opeth as a tattoo, that alone would be nice.

Steeeeve- I think your idea sounds really cool! :) Geek power! *pushes glasses farther up on nose*

Well, I hope I'm done with tattoos for a while. The one I got on Saturday on my wrist is healing nicely and doesn't hurt anymore but I just had the lily redone on my ankle and now it won't stop throbbing! Its worth it though because now it looks much better. I decided to just get it colored in red so that in the future if I decide to put the Ogham markings for earth, fire, wind, water, and spirit on each petal I can do so in black and they will show up nicely.

The first is the new and improved lily and the last is my new wrist tattoo with the words Defy Gravity inspired by the song Defying Gravity from Wicked. I love them! :roll:

Did it hurt a lot there? It looks very red in the photo. The lily is prettyful. :giggle:

Thanks, Janet. :smile2: The wrist hurt more than the ankle did mostly when they went over the veins. From what I understand the inside of the arm on the bicep is the most painful place to get one or on the ribs.

• 2 months later...

So, the day did come today, and I got pics. The tattoo still looks a bit scruffy, of course it still has to clear up, not to mention the one pic where literally just took off the wrappings.. For those of you who don't know, the name's my dad's, he died of cancer in october.

tatt2.jpg

tatt3.jpg

I loved getting it done, honestly, it didn't actually hurt a bit. Was a weird feeling, like burning pressure a bit, but i could barely feel he punctured my skin with the needle. :blush:

Wow that is a fab tattoo - lucky you it not hurting, I fainted with both of mine! :blush:

Lovely to have one in memory of your dad - I am planning to get a simple angel done on the inside of my wrist in memory of mum when I pluck up the courage...