New to reading, any advice?

Hey all I'm new to the book scene and was wondering if any of you could shed some advice on either books and/or authors to look out for.

Genre wise I am interested in mystery, thriller, horror, supernatural and sci-fi related books.

If you guys need any more info on my likes and dislikes please state so, and like I said before if any of you could just recommend some authors and books it would be much appreciated :D

Michael Connolly Books are good especially Harry Bosch books.

These are crime novels but could also tick mystery and thriller boxes. If you do decide to read these books I do recommend that you read them in order as it definitely made them more enjoyable for me.

Happy Reading!:D

Hello Mr Funky and welcome to the forum. :D

We've got two sections that cover the genres you seem interested in;

For Crime / Mystery / Thriller take a look here.

For Horror / Supernatural / Fantasy / Science Fiction take a look here.

There are so many authors out there it probably feels quite daunting. The best advice is to look at any threads that attract your attention initially, or maybe names that you recognise. They are popular sections, and there are a lot of us who can guide you once you get started. :(

Michael Connolly Books are good especially Harry Bosch books.

These are crime novels but could also tick mystery and thriller boxes. If you do decide to read these books I do recommend that you read them in order as it definitely made them more enjoyable for me.

Happy Reading!:D

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely have a book hunt for them :lol:

Hello Mr Funky and welcome to the forum.

We've got two sections that cover the genres you seem interested in;

For Crime / Mystery / Thriller take a look here.

For Horror / Supernatural / Fantasy / Science Fiction take a look here.

There are so many authors out there it probably feels quite daunting. The best advice is to look at any threads that attract your attention initially, or maybe names that you recognise. They are popular sections, and there are a lot of us who can guide you once you get started.

Thanks for the tips, and its glad to be welcomed into such a nice forum :(

Hello and welcome to the book scene :D

I'm a big reader of horror, supernatural and sci fi so I might be able to help you in those fields :lol: as they are pretty vast however, it would help me to narrow down what you might like if you could - say - list a couple of movies you really like, or themes you're interested in (I'd recommend different things depending whether you like gory or psychological horror / robots or aliens, that kind of thing).

I look forward to helping you :(.

Not sure what to recommend to a beginner. Sorry if it seems rude but how old are you? That'll help us better.

Without that I have only one advice: Start small and slow. Read every word. And stop if it bores you. You don't have to finish every book you read.

Besides that, of course, for mystery and the sort books by Alistair Maclean are always a good place to begin no matter what your age.

hello!

If you're after something a bit funny and strange, try Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker series, and also the fabulous Dirk Gently books. They are called Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time of The Soul.

They are a bit odd, and kind of sci-fi, but i promise you, they are like no-other books you will read! They are also reasonably short, and are humorous, so are easy books to read for a beginner.

For hard, serious sci-fi, I have very much enjoyed Stephen Baxter's work.

The Manifold series is very good. It is elaborate and all 3 books use the same characters but in parallel universes/multiverses. And they travel all around the galaxy and far into the future.

:D