#21 Vladd

Vladd

Avid Reader

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Reading now?:My Kindle
  • LocationOxfordshire UK

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

The advenures of Svlad Cjelli can be found in Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective agency and the Long Tea Time of The Soul

#22 BookJumper

BookJumper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Reading now?:Jasper Fforde, The Last Dragonslayer
  • LocationUK (mostly)

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

but don't get me started on the film, it didn't happen.

Agreed. The only redeeming features about it were the title credits by The Divine Comedy's Neil Hannon and the voice of Stephen Fry as the Guide - too bad that I had to be told about Stephen's voiceovering, as I had fallen asleep well before the first Guide entry.

I have a bumper edition and I think it contains the first 4 books in one. What are the names of 5 and 6?

# 5 is called Mostly Harmless
# 6 is called And Another Thing, and is actually not by Douglas at all - it's the official sequel by Eoin Colfer, of Artemis Fowl Fame

Also set in the H2G2 universe is the short story Young Zaphod Plays It Safe, which you may find in the collection of non-fiction The Salmon of Doubt or in the leatherbound Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide published by Gramercy (note: this is a bit difficult to find outside of the States, but is worth shopping around for... I have it and it's beautiful :D).

#23 Ilona

Ilona

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Reading now?:The Elements of Style
  • LocationEarth (specifically California)

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:00 AM

# 6 is called And Another Thing, and is actually not by Douglas at all - it's the official sequel by Eoin Colfer, of Artemis Fowl Fame

Wow, that sounds like it could be decent or really bad... I'll have to look into that.

#24 Cookie

Cookie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

the leatherbound Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide published by Gramercy (note: this is a bit difficult to find outside of the States, but is worth shopping around for... I have it and it's beautiful :D).

Purdy....*drool*

#25 Raven

Raven

Peace & Love

• Advanced Member
  • 4,240 posts
  • Reading now?:Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

don't get me started on the film, it didn't happen.

Amen to that!

#26 BookJumper

BookJumper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,735 posts
  • Reading now?:Jasper Fforde, The Last Dragonslayer
  • LocationUK (mostly)

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Wow, that sounds like it could be decent or really bad... I'll have to look into that.

I haven't read it yet as I want to take the time to do a full re-read of books 1-5 to get the full effect, however it looks promising.

Eoin gave a talk and at HitchCon09 last year, you could tell he was as much of a fan as every dressing-gowned person there (why yes, I was wearing a dressing gown for the occasion :D) and the bits he read out made me giggle which surely is a good sign. Another good sign is, Douglas's widow and daughter have always said that they'd never allow a sequel yet when confronted with Eoin's name they declared that if anyone could do it properly, it was him.

I don't expect it to replicate the genius of Douglas because quite frankly, who can? So as long as it's respectful and amusing, I'll be happy.

Purdy....*drool*

Indeed it is purdy :D you know you want it!

#27 XanderRichards

XanderRichards

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I read Hitch Hiker's when I was younger and enjoyed it. I also remember the BBC television production. After that, though, I found that things kinda went downhill a bit, and he lost my interest.

#28 Giulietta

Giulietta

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything! :)

I absolutely love Douglas Adams. I remember reading the part about Vogon Poetry used as torture and I nearly spit my coffee out my nose. (not a nice image, sorry!)

#29 Timstar

Timstar

The Scientist

• Advanced Member
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

I love Hitchhiker's! first saw the TV series when I was really young and watched it so many times, I remember meeting the cast ages ago and being star struck even though they are not famous at all.

Then I read all books which I also loved. Really want to re-read them though and get the complete radio series but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Would also like to get Salmon of Doubt and maybe the official sequel.

Has anyone read the Dirk Gentry books? They are on my wishlist.

PS. The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul may be the best title for a novel ever.

#30 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Reading now?:The Cold Commands by Richard K. Morgan
  • Location1Q84

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I was starting to feel ashamed this summer since everyone around me seemed to know The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I never managed to read it. So I bought the 5 books of the saga and read them in a month. The first two were amazing, that smart British humor is always so fresh. But as it progressed it was straying of the main genre. The fourth book was practically a romance and the fifth was something utterly unrecognizable as a continuation to the witty and random happenings in the silly universe. It was so bitter and heavy and the ending was damn awful. I read that the author way dying while he wrote it, so it's understandable, but still an abomination.

I'm getting "42" tattooed on my wrist soon.

#31 Raven

Raven

Peace & Love

• Advanced Member
  • 4,240 posts
  • Reading now?:Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

The original radio series (which came first, before any books etc) is still the best version.

In my opinion, that is.

#32 BookShelfy91

BookShelfy91

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Reading now?:From A Buick 8 - Stephen King
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

So long and thanks for all the fish!! Sorry...I couldn't resist...

Shelfy

#33 timebug

timebug

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationDerby U.K.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

The HItchHikers Guide to The Galaxy series, by Douglas Adams, was great.

I love the radio version,adore the books;the TV version was okay for what

it was, on a limited budget. Hated the film,and gave up on the Eoin Colfe

one, as it was puerile gibberish. He may be a 'fan' of the originals, but he

can't write them like Douglas Adams could (In fact, no one could!)

The Dirk Gently books are superb, different to the HHGTTG series, but with

the same 'hand on the tiller'  as it were, you know you are in good hands!

Sadly missed, a giant of a man (physically) and intellectually too, for the type

of humour that his works engendered!

#34 The Bibliophagus Beagle

The Bibliophagus Beagle

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Reading now?:Look to Windward
  • LocationNear Bolton, Lancashire

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

Adams was to Asimov, what Terry* was to Tolkein.

*Pratchett.

Both are sadly missed . . . :(

#35 Older Fish

Older Fish

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Reading now?:No. Just thinking about which book to start on next.
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

I don't expect it to replicate the genius of Douglas because quite frankly, who can? So as long as it's respectful and amusing, I'll be happy.

I read it, and I had the same reservations as you before I started. I was surprised that it read like the first three books of the 5-book "trilogy". It even made up for the anti-climatic "Salmon of doubt".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users