Poppy's Paperbacks 2010

poppyshake

Thanks Chesil ... It is officially 'My Favourite March Book' :smile2: (though March hasn't quite finished yet so who knows!)

Previous winners were ..

The Shipping News 'My Favourite January Book' and

Neverwhere 'My Favourite February Book'

I guess at the end of the year I'll have to choose a favourite amongst my favourites .. if I can remember any of the plotlines by then :)

'A man gets a new job reporting the shipping news, somewhere underneath London and is there accused of a crime he didn't commit'

Actually I should write that book .. it's the best idea I've had for a plotline ever (infact the only one).

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on another thread Inver has sent you The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I was also in this book ring and have to say I thought it was a fantastic book. The main character is so well written and the story ties together really well. Hope you enjoy it when you get round to reading it, will look out for your review.

I started a Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian last night and am really enjoying it so far. I find her style of writing very humorous and quick paced. Have you read either of her other novels Poppy?

Edited by tunn300

Yes :smile2:, I'm really looking forward to reading 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' ... it's been on my TBR for a while and everyone seems to love it.

I haven't read any of Marina Lewycka's other books Tunn ... I've looked at them and quite fancy reading 'We Are All Made of Glue' .. if I see it on my travels I'll probably pick it up (though I'm determined not to keep adding to my TBR list until I've got it down a bit more and also I need to do some re-reads). I loved 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian' though .. so funny, glad you're enjoying it.

Big mistake .. went into Waterstones and got tempted by their three for two again!!! Bought 'Leviathan' by Philip Hoare (which was already on my TBR so that was ok) .. though I really must read Moby Dick first. Also bought 'Hearts and Minds' by Amanda Craig and 'A Long, Long, Time Ago & Essentially True' by Brigid Pasulka.

Was incredibly tempted by 'Howards End is On The Landing' by Susan Hill also Angela Carter's 'Book of Fairy Tales' but they are both in hardback at the moment and not on the deal .. perhaps Angela's book is only ever going to be available in hardback so I'll probably get that in the near future .. it looked gorgeous.

Also was tempted by 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand' by Helen Simonson which has been recommended on the forum and was available on the three for two .. but it's in large format paperback at the moment and they just don't fit on the shelves!!

Shouldn't have gone in there .. I knew it was fatal!

girlsofslendermeans.jpg

Girls of Slender Means - Muriel Spark

Waterstone's Synopsis
: This is London 1945, when all nice people are poor. Muriel Spark sets us down among the girls of good family but slender means as they fight it out, from their Kensington hostel to the last clothing coupon until this charmingly light-hearted period in their lives descends into horror and tragedy.

Review: This is a fairly slender book ... only around 142 pages long, so a long short story really. The book tells the story of several girls living at 'The May of Teck Club' in Kensington in 1945 between VE and VJ day. Rationing is still very much in operation and the girls do what they can in order to make ends meet. For those that are slim enough, there is a shared use of a Shiaperelli gown which is regularly seen at the London hotspots .... 'you can't wear it to the Milroy. It's been twice to the Milroy .. it's been to Quaglino's, Selina wore it to Quags, it's getting known all over London' :biggrin: and there is also a tiny slit of an attic window (also only for the slim) which enables access to the roof for spots of sunbathing and canoodling.

It's very sharply observed and witty as you might expect from Muriel, fairly reminiscent of Nancy Mitford. It has a rather tragic end which I wasn't expecting (I never expect tragic ends though :blush2:) I felt like I was just getting to know the girls well when the book ended.
I liked it a lot but could have done with more, it took me a while to get into her style of writing and then it was almost at an end.
It has made me want to read more from her ... Memento Mori, A Far Cry from Kensington and Loitering with Intent are on my mental TBR.

8/10

Edited by poppyshake

Great review of Arthur and George. I read it a couple of years ago and I remember really enjoying. Of course, I've forgotten much of the plot. It may be time for a reread. Glad you loved it.

Thanks Readwine, I'm sure it'll be one that I'll want to re-read in the future because I just found it so interesting.

The only problem is re-reads are taking a back seat at the moment .. I'm too busy looking at the new shiny one's :D

fivepeopleyoumeetinheaven.jpg

The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom

Waterstone's Synopsis
: From the author of the phenomenal number one bestseller TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, comes this enchanting, beautifully written novel that explores a mystery only heaven can unfold. Eddie is a grizzled war veteran who feels trapped in the toil of his father before him, fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. Then he dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever. As the story builds to its stunning conclusion, Eddie desperately seeks redemption in the still-unknown last act of his life. Was it a heroic success or a devastating failure? The answer is as magical and inspirational as a glimpse of heaven itself.

Review: Immensely readable, I loved the character of Eddie right from the start, it was quite extraordinary how upset I felt reading the countdown of minutes until his death after only reading about him for 20 pages. In a way it's quite a simple storyline, Eddie dies whilst trying to save a little girl at the fairground, where he works as a maintenance man. He is met in heaven by five people, some known to him and some not ... they've all had an impact on his life (or he on theirs). It is slightly like Dicken's A Christmas Carol although Eddie is definitely dead and doesn't need redemption he just needs to understand his life better.
It's a very emotional read, the parts about him and his wife Marguerite were especially moving.

This version of the afterlife is full of colour, memories (some good, some bad,) lessons to be learnt, understanding, forgiveness and ultimately hope and peace ... it would be lovely to think that this is the way life ends for all of us (not the cart falling on your head though of course! :D)

At the end of the book there are the first two chapters of Tuesdays with Morrie .. I read them and knew I would never be able to cope with reading the book itself .. my dad (along with his brother and two of his sisters ... two of which have since died) has Cerebellar Ataxia, which affects the central nervous system similarly to ALS, it would probably break my heart to read it, I cried just reading those two chapters. Maybe in the future though.

Thanks again to Inver for being so kind as to lend me her copy :friends0: 
An incredibly moving, enjoyable read.

9/10

Edited by poppyshake

This is a pic of the little antique bookcase I bought with some birthday money :smile:

loobookcase.jpg

It doesn't fit regular size paperbacks but the Puffin classics fit beautifully .. Janet has since told me that some of them are abridged so I'll have to look out for that but I couldn't resist them .. their covers are enchanting .. some of my fave's ...

wizardofoz.jpg  whatkatydid.jpg 

The bookshelf is in the loo, I don't know if I want anybody to actually touch them whilst in there!!!! .. I hope they'll just admire them from afar :smile:

Edited by poppyshake

I haven't got 'The Wind in the Willows' Nicola, because I have it already twice over .. but I do love that cover as well. Infact there's a small book sized gap at the end of the bookcase so another book will go in .. but it needs to be of a certain size because they're all different. I'm still debating it.

I love your avvie by the way.

Methinks:

Immensely readable, I loved the character of Eddie right from the start, it was quite extraordinary how upset I felt reading the countdown of minutes until his death after only reading about him for 20 pages. It's a very emotional read, the parts about him and his wife Marguerite were especially moving.

... it would be lovely to think that this is the way life ends for all of us (not the cart falling on your head though of course!).

At the end of the book there are the first two chapters of 'Tuesdays with Morrie' .. I read them and knew I would never be able to cope with reading the book itself .. my Dad (along with his brother and two of his sisters ... two of which have since died) has Cerebellar Ataxia, which affects the central nervous system similarly to ALS, it would probably break my heart to read it, I cried just reading those two chapters. Maybe in the future though.

Thanks again to Inver for being so kind as to lend me her copy :lurker:.

An incredibly moving, enjoyable read.

9/10

You have said a lot of the same things I thought about the book (having lost my mum not long before I read this book). If you ever want to read 'Tuesdays' I have a copy you could borrow, let me know.

Edited by Inver

You have said a lot of the same things I thought about the book (having lost my mu not long before I read this book). If you ever want to read 'Tuesdays' I have a copy you could borrow, let me know.

Thanks Diane :lurker:

Yes, I was lucky that I found books to fit (books must have been smaller in the old days!).

The covers make me laugh .. they're so quirky.

I only had two before I bought the bookcase but thankfully I got some Amazon vouchers too for my birthday and bought the rest.

I love the bookcase and the Puffins look great in it. And I'm sorry now I mentioned the 'unabridgedness' because I feel guilty. :lurker:

The covers are lush though, especially The Wizard of Oz! I love these from some older editions.

020-2008-Jul-30-AlicesAdventuresinW.jpg056-2009-Oct-22-ThroughtheLooking-G.jpg

Don't feel guilty Janet .. I'd much rather know :lurker: 'The Tale of Two Cities' is the only one that I've got that is abridged, so that's not bad .. maybe they thought some passages unsuitable for children ...or they thought it was too long ... but then 'Dracula' remains unabridged so I'm not sure.

Those older editions are just stunning, so colourful.

Aww thank you Frankie .. I am very happy with it :lurker:

The label said it is from around the time of 'the arts and craft movement' but whether it is or not I don't know. You can't help wondering what sort of books it's had on it in it's lifetime, it would be great to know.

alonglongtimeago.jpg

A Long, Long Time Ago & Essentially True - Brigid Pasulka

Waterstone's Synopsis
: Winner of the 2010 Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award for a distinguished first book of fiction, A Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True is a grand love story and a wonderfully warm-hearted debut about a young woman and her country on the cusp of change. On the eve of World War II in a place called Half-Village, a man nicknamed the Pigeon falls in love with a girl fabled for her angelic looks. Using his 'golden hands' he decides to turn her family's modest hut into a beautiful home, and build his way into her heart.But war arrives, cutting short their charming courtship and bringing with it terrible events.Fifty years on, young Baba Yaga leaves her village to make a new life in Krakow. What she finds is not the city of her grandmother's tales but a place struggling in the aftermath of communism's fall, where opportunity seems reserved for the lucky few. Then tragedy strikes and the past reaches out an unexpected hand to her.What Louis de Bernieres did for Kefalonia, Brigid Pasulka does for Poland, weaving together the two strands of her story with a deftly magical touch into a witty, wise and heartbreaking love story that will enchant you to the very end.

Review: What a lovely story this is, absolutely beautifully written. There are in essence two stories ... one tells the tale of the love story between Pigeon and the beautiful Anielica living in Half-Village in Poland just before World War II. In order for her father to consider him a suitable match for his daughter, Pigeon offers to use his 'golden hands' to turn their modest hut into a wonderful home ... but just as all the work is finished and the marriage is imminent, Hitler invades Poland.

The other story flashes forward some fifty years and we are at the beginning of the 1990's .. post Communist era. This story tells the tale of Beata nicknamed 'Baba Yaga' who is seeking a new life in Krakow ... the fairytale city of her Grandmothers stories. Baba Yaga lost her parents when she was younger and has since lost her Grandmother, she moves in with her cousin Irena and her glamorous daughter Magda but finds it hard to settle and belong.

Each story is written in alternate chapters until the connection between the two stories is revealed towards the end of the book. The dialogue is peppered with Polish words (as The Book Thief was peppered with German) .. for the most part they are explained or you can work them out within the context of the sentence and rather like reading The Book Thief I can insult someone in Polish fairly well now :lurker:

I loved the characters and their sense of history, their struggles and their determination to keep that history alive. It doesn't tie up all the ends or give you all the answers, it's more life-like than that. I could have read about these characters forever (though of course that would interfere with my reading challenge! :D)

Highly recommended.

10/10

Edited by poppyshake

oldmanandthesea.jpg

The Old Man & The Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Amazon's Synopsis
: Here, for a change, is a fish tale that actually does honour to the author. In fact The Old Man and the Sea revived Ernest Hemingway's career, which was foundering under the weight of such post-war stinkers as Across the River and into the Trees. It also led directly to his receipt of the Nobel Prize in 1954 (an award Hemingway gladly accepted, despite his earlier observation that "no son of a bitch that ever won the Nobel Prize ever wrote anything worth reading afterwards"). A half century later, it's still easy to see why. This tale of an aged Cuban fisherman going head-to-head (or hand-to-fin) with a magnificent marlin encapsulates Hemingway's favourite motifs of physical and moral challenge. Yet Santiago is too old and infirm to partake of the gun-toting machismo that disfigured much of the author's later work:

Review: Inspired by the '1001 Books TRBYD' list .. I picked this short story as the first book to try amongst those I hadn't read (I had about 950 choices!! :giggle:)
I was immediately drawn into the tale of the old fisherman who hadn't caught a fish in eighty four days. He used to have a boy who accompanied him on his fishing trips .. but the boy is no longer allowed to go with him, his parents think the old man is unlucky ('salao' infact ... which is the worst form of unlucky). The boy loves and believes in the old man and the relationship between the two is incredibly touching.

The book blurb will tell you that there is not a spare word amongst this narrative and it's true ... the writing is tight, simple and to the point, it's descriptive without becoming fussy. And I think it's this that gives the story such impact.

The old man sets out to sea in his skiff to catch 'the big one' and his luck appears to change when he hooks a gigantic Marlin. What follows is a titanic struggle as the old man attempts to land the fish and take it home .. and his struggle is your struggle because you really do suffer with him. He is far far from shore, he has little food or water, he is alone, he lacks sleep, his hands are bleeding and cramping and he is being towed out to sea by an eighteen foot Marlin.

Perhaps you have to be a lover of the sea, or fishing to enjoy this story or a lover of stories told in their simplest form. I'm not sure, I'm not particularly any of those things but I thought it was wonderful :)

9/10

Edited by poppyshake

Hubby bought me this book for Easter ...

angelacarterfairytales.jpg

It's in hardback which is a bother but it's very beautiful and I can't wait to delve in. With story titles such as 'Kate Crackernuts', 'Now I Should Laugh, If I Were Not Dead', 'Salt, Sauce and Spice, Onion Leaves, Pepper and Drippings' and 'Beauty and Pock Face' .. I can tell I'm in for a treat.

Totally co-incidentally there is a tale called 'Baba Yaga' (see review of 'A Long, Long Time Ago & Essentially True).

I also got one of these ....

lindtbunny.jpg so I don't feel hard done by :lurker:

Happy Easter Everyone!

Edited by poppyshake