~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reviews, Zusak is someone I definitely want to read more of. :friends0:

They are both great reads and I think he has another book being released next year but no title as yet. :lol: You are welcome Noll :lol:

The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe ~ Started: 28.02.10 ~ Finished: 06.03.10

bookcover.jpg

Synopsis ~

While clearing out her grandmother's cottage for sale, Connie Goodwin finds a parchment inscribed with the name Deliverance Dane. And so begins the hunt to uncover the woman behind the name, a hunt that takes her back to Salem in 1692 . . . and the infamous witchcraft trials. But nothing is entirely as it seems and when Connie unearths the existence of Deliverance's spell book, the Physick Book, the situation takes on a menacing edge as interested parties reveal their desperation to find this precious artefact at any cost. What secrets does the Physick Book contain? What magic is scrawled across its parchment pages? Connie must race to answer these questions - and reveal the truth about Salem's women - before an ancient family curse once more fulfils its dark and devastating prophecy.

‘The Lost Book of Salem’ tells the story of Connie (Constance) Goodwin, a student at Harvard, who has been recently advanced to candidacy for a PhD and now considering which subject to cover in her dissertation, during this time she receives a telephone call from her mother, Grace, asking her to sell her mother’s, Connie’s grandmother (Granna) house in Marblehead, Massachusetts, on a street called ‘Milk Street’ (which I thought was a great name for a street). Connie finds the house in disrepair, without electricity, no telephone, etc. Whilst exploring, Connie finds a key in an old bible with a piece of parchment with name of ‘Deliverance Dane’ written on it and a key, this discovery opens a world for Connie, which she is more connected to than she realises.

I thought ‘The Lost of Book of Salem’ was brilliant, interesting, exciting, a great insight into the Salem With Trials and the ripple effect of the trials which in some ways are still apparent in modern day Massachusetts.

I found Connie, the main character to be likeable and easy to read, she kept her feelings hid but they showed in different ways as you read the book, especially the feelings she had about her Mother, which was an occurring theme throughout the book, Connie and her mother, Deliverance and her daughter, Mercy.

The story is told from two points of view, Connie and the Dane women at certain points in history, well researched, the fear of the trials is shown brilliantly, there were some parts where I felt sadness for the characters, especially what happened to Deliverance and the rest of the women who were accused.

I found with ‘The Lost Book of Salem’ there is much more to the Salem Witch Trials, which I found interesting.

A great read.

Rating: 10/10

Edited by Weave

Excellent review, Weave! I'm so glad you loved this book :D. I agree with you that it showed another side to the witch trials and it was great to get that insight during the chapters from Deliverance's point of view.

You were right

with your wariness of Connie's advisor, huh? What a crazy guy!

I also liked reading about Connie's relationship with her mother, because even though she was only in contact with her by phone, her mother still seemed to know everything that was going on, to the great annoyance of Connie :lol:.

Excellent review, Weave! I'm so glad you loved this book :D. I agree with you that it showed another side to the witch trials and it was great to get that insight during the chapters from Deliverance's point of view.

You were right

with your wariness of Connie's advisor, huh? What a crazy guy!

I also liked reading about Connie's relationship with her mother, because even though she was only in contact with her by phone, her mother still seemed to know everything that was going on, to the great annoyance of Connie :lol:.

Thanks peacefield,

I had a wee inkling from the start of the book about her advisor, and he annoyed Connie so much with his 'my girl', which annoyed me reading it!

:)

Grace was a great character, I loved how her and Connie both knew what each other were doing, it gave the book a nice feel :(

Another brilliant review Weave! So pleased you enjoyed The Book Of Lost Salem. :lol: I thoroughly enjoyed it too and can't wait until there is another book by this author :D

I am glad you enjoyed it too Charm, like your good self, I am definitely looking forward to her next book :)

I hope Katherine Howe writes more soon! I also heard she wants to some day do a sequel to Lost Book so here's hoping :D.

Oh, and I would like to put in a request to meet someone like Sam one of these days :):lol:.

I hope Katherine Howe writes more soon! I also heard she wants to some day do a sequel to Lost Book so here's hoping :D.

Oh, and I would like to put in a request to meet someone like Sam one of these days :):lol:.

I will keep my eye out because Sam was lovely, such a great character and perfect for Connie :(

Every Day is Mother’s Day by Hilary Mantel ~ Started: 06.03.10 ~ Finished: 08.03.10

bookcover-18.jpg

Synopsis ~

Evelyn Axon is an aging agoraphobic and a reluctant medium. Plagued by vengeful poltergeists, she and her daughter Muriel spend their days holed up in a crumbling house avoiding the demonic spirits that have taken over their kitchen.

Isabel Field is the latest social worker assigned to break their self-imposed siege. But she has problems of her own to deal with: an over-sexed father who scours the laundrettes of their provincial town for conquests and an enthusiastic but anxiety ridden lover, Colin Sidney, who attend night classes to escape his demanding wife

As these dazed lives collide likes flies in the summer hear, a spider is awakening. Is Muriel, that large and sullen presence, quite the idiot she seems?

And along came Muriel...

‘Every day is Mother’s Day’ is the story of Evelyn and Muriel Axon, a mother and daughter who live a reclusive life in the house that Muriel was born. Evelyn has raised Muriel alone since the death of her husband, Clifford when Muriel was 6 years old, Clifford unfortunately saw Muriel as an ‘inconvenience’ and not having any more children because it would ‘risk repetition’. Evelyn, not in the best of health will not accept help and when social services come into their lives, Evelyn finds that Muriel is changing, something which scares Evelyn, Muriel attends a community day care centre and life becomes worse when Evelyn discovers that Muriel is in fact pregnant and is unable (or unwilling) to tell Evelyn who the father is, Evelyn decides to keep the baby a secret and lock Muriel in their house.

Meanwhile, Isabel Field their latest social worker is having problems of her own, she is having an affair with a married man, Colin Sidney, his sister Florence is the Axons neighbour (unknown to Isabel) and she has also lost Muriel’s file. Colin, Isabel, Florence, Muriel and Evelyn finds themselves coming together and no one knows what the outcome will be.

It’s hard to describe ‘Every Day is Mother’s Day’ without giving too much away, it is full of dark humour, Evelyn’s ideas are questionable, Muriel is manipulative, scary, not what she seems, Isabel and Colin, two very different people, I found it hard to believe why they would have an affair (which was the point), there is constant feeling of something about to happen, you find yourself becoming more and more suspicious of Muriel and despite Evelyn’s actions, you do feel sorry for her and in some ways, you feel sorry for Muriel. There is also the paranormal aspect, what exactly is in the spare room? And what does Evelyn see?

The book also highlights how people can be missed, how sometimes the system does not work.

The ending is left open, there is more to come from Muriel.

Rating: 7/10

Edited by Weave

Vacant Possession by Hilary Mantel ~ Started: 08.03.10 ~ Finished: 10.03.10

Bookcover2-2.jpg

Synopsis ~

Newly released from the institution in which she was housed after her mother’s suspicious death. Muriel Axon has acquired a taste for revenge ~ and the means to pursue it. At the top of her hit list are hapless husband and school teacher Colin Sidney and his ex-lover Isabel Field: unsuspecting victims who have no idea that this mistress of disguise is going to re-enter their lives for one last tangle. Ancient scores will be settled and uncomfortable truths faced as Muriel attempts to gather her prey for one last explosive encounter.

‘Vacant Possession’ is the sequel to ‘Every Day is Mother’s Day’ by Hilary Mantel.

‘Vacant Possession’ begins 10 years after the events at the Axon’s house which ultimately led to Muriel being placed in Fulmers Moor in the Greyshott Ward as part of her rehabilitation to eventually return to society, which she does, but Muriel has changed, she can now mimicry (mimic) and is a mistress of disguise, one of Muriel’s hidden traits is that she watches people and for ten years she has been watching everyone in Greyshott Ward.

Colin Sidney is now living in the Axon’s old house, his sister Florence still lives next door, his wife, Sylvia has reinvented herself, she has become more confidence, more sociable. Isobel Field is now married and no longer a social worker, everyone is living their lives but unknown to them, Muriel is amongst them.

‘Vacant Possession’, I felt was the stronger of the two books, you find out more about Muriel and also how devious (and scary) she is, with ‘Vacant Possession’, you find out the lengths which Muriel will go to, to get her revenge.

An interesting read.

Rating: 7/10

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen ~ Started: 10.03.10 ~ Finished: 18.03.10

Bookcover-19.jpg

Synopsis ~

Orphaned, penniless Jacob Jankowski jumps a freight train in the dark, and in that instant, transforms his future.

By morning, he's landed a job with the Flying Squadron of the Benzine Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. By Nightfall, he's in love.

In an America made colourless by prohibition and the Depression, the circus is a refuge of sequins and sensuality. But behind the glamour lies a darker world, where both animals and men are dispensable. Where falling in love is the most dangerous act of all...

'Water for Elephants' was recommended to me by two friend of mines, Claire and Kelly and it took me awhile to get around to buying it and eventually reading it, so thank you Claire and Kelly for the recommendation because (and believe me it deserves the capital letters) I LOVE THIS BOOK, I have never been so engrossed in a story since 'A Wild Sheep Chase' by Haruki Murakami and have never loved a character more than Jacob Jankowski, the story is told brilliantly, visually stunning, you can imagine the sights and sounds of the circus, Rosie the elephant, the main heroine of the story, is described so well and despite the fact she is a elephant she will always be a beloved character for me, she is shown in a way that despite her size she is delicate, loving, funny and stubborn.

As mentioned the characters are written well, it feels effortless to read them, you feel the love that authors has for her characters and you will share it because in their own way they are all amazing people and animals, the story of the circus is told from a historical point of view, many of the tales shared in the story actually happened in various circuses (one example being, the lion and a dishwasher hiding together under a sink).

An amazing story of love, courage and how much circuses were a part of American history.

Read as soon as possible and I know I will read it again and again.

Edited by Weave

I'm SO pleased you enjoyed it, I was sure you would! It's such a lovely story isn't it :lol: I loved Jacob too, and I will definitely be reading it again in the future too :D

Thanks hen, I loved it, it was just a great book, and thanks again for recommending it to me :lol: Jacob is a excellent character, young and old :)

Twilight the Graphic Novel ~ Volume 1 by Stephenie Meyer and Young Kim ~ Started: 24.03.10 ~ Finished: 24.03.10

1-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret...

Everyone who has read the novel, 'Twilight' by Stephenie Meyer knows the drill, Bella Swan moves to Forks to live with her dad, Charlie, she is very accident prone, meets Edward Cullen, who not only dazzlingly handsome but he is in fact a vampire (and also has a cool car, I felt the volvo should be mentioned).

For anyone who has not read Twilight and enjoys graphic novels, 'Twilight' the graphic novel is a great introduction into Stephenie Meyer's world, the art work I thought looked wonderful, Young Kim does an excellent job of showing the characters in a different light.

I enjoyed the graphic novel, it was nice to see certain scenes from the book just as I imagined them.

A easy read, nicely done.

Edited by Weave

Great review, Weave! And thanks for posting this as I'd forgotten this came out recently :D. I think it will be picked up this weekend :irked:.

Thanks hen and no problem, I hope you get a copy :D

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami ~ Started: 18.03.10 ~ Finished: 30.03.10

kafkaontheshore.jpg

Synopsis ~

Kafka on the Shore follows the fortunes of two remarkable characters. Kafka Tamura runs away from home at fifteen, under the shadow of his father's dark prophecy. The ageing Nakata, tracker of lost cats, who never recovered from a bizarre childhood affliction, finds his simple life suddenly turned upside down. Their parallel odysseys are enriched throughout by vivid accomplices and mesmerising drama Cats converse with people; fish tumble from the sky; a forest soldiers apparently un-aged since WWII. There is a savage killing, but the identity of both victim and killer is a riddle.

At once a classic tale of quest, Kafka on the Shore is also a bold exploration of mythic and contemporary taboos, of patricide, of mother-love, of sister-love. Above all it is bewitching and wildly inventive novel from a master stylist.

'Kafka on the Shore' was the first book I read by Haruki Murakami, I enjoyed it and once I read more novels by Haruki Murakami, I can say (most of you know) he is one of my favourite authors.

'Kafka on the Shore' tells the story of Kafka Tamura, a 15 year boy who for various reasons runs away from home, according to the boy named Crow, Kafka 'is going to be the world's toughest 15 year old', he has to be, he is now on his own.

Meanwhile Nakata, a 60 + year old man who leads a simple, happy life following a childhood accident when he lost his memory, prior to the accident Nakata had been an excellent student, a happy, normal child, now he spends his time looking for lost cats because Nakata can understands and talks to cats, which does help him when he is searching for lost cats, what begins with a lost cat leads Nakata on a journey.

As always with Haruki Murakami, the story is not a straightforward story, the characters are brilliantly written, unusual and unforgettable, as all Haruki Murakami's characters are.

A fantastic read, my favourite character was Nakata, he could speak to cats and he lived a happy, selfless live, he is a lovely man.

Edited by Weave

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen ~

'Water for Elephants' was recommended to me by two friend of mines, Claire and Kelly and it took me awhile to get around to buying it and eventually reading it, so thank you Claire and Kelly for the recommendation because (and believe me it deserves the capital letters) I LOVE THIS BOOK, I have never been so engrossed in a story since 'A Wild Sheep Chase' by Haruki Murakami and have never loved a character more than Jacob Jankowski, the story is told brilliantly, visually stunning, you can imagine the sights and sounds of the circus, Rosie the elephant, the main heroine of the story, is described so well and despite the fact she is a elephant she will always be a beloved character for me, she is shown in a way that despite her size she is delicate, loving, funny and stubborn.

As mentioned the characters are written well, it feels effortless to read them, you feel the love that authors has for her characters and you will share it because in their own way they are all amazing people and animals, the story of the circus is told from a historical point of view, many of the tales shared in the story actually happened in various circuses (one example being, the lion and a dishwasher hiding together under a sink).

An amazing story of love, courage and how much circuses were a part of American history.

Read as soon as possible and I know I will read it again and again.

Wow Weave that's a high recommendation. If the book is that good I will try to find it.

Vampire Diaries (Books 1 & 2) ~ 'The Awakening' & 'The Struggle' by L.J. Smith Started: 31.03.10 ~ Finished: 01.04.10

tvd01_uk_2009.png

Synopsis ~

The Awakening: Elena Gilbert is used to getting what she wants and she wants mysterious new boy, Stefan. But Stefan is hiding a deadly secret - a secret that will change Elena

You hit the nail on the head, Weave! I thought the same thing about these books, and even though I'll read the next one, I'm not going to be rushing out to buy it anytime soon.

Oh, and psstt it just dawned on me that I think I asked you earlier today what you were reading currently. Duh! :lol: Sorry how embarassing...

You hit the nail on the head, Weave! I thought the same thing about these books, and even though I'll read the next one, I'm not going to be rushing out to buy it anytime soon.

Oh, and psstt it just dawned on me that I think I asked you earlier today what you were reading currently. Duh! :lol: Sorry how embarassing...

Its okay, don't be worrying peacefield :lol: I was thinking there that maybe I would feel different if I had read the books before I saw the show but I think I would feel the same way, because Elena is really annoying! (To Lexie, if you read this :D Elena is not as annoying as Zoey R from The House of Night books).