The Secret History (RS needed)

A few years ago, a friend of mine urged me to read the novel The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I was compelled by this book and the dept of its characters, but since then I have not found another novel that could live up to this personal reading experience.

Even if you have not read this book, you might help me if you know anything that portrays complex (and maybe very negative) emotions between several close characters. Have you ever read anything that might fit this description?

Even if you have not read this book, you might help me if you know anything that portrays complex (and maybe very negative) emotions between several close characters. Have you ever read anything that might fit this description?

Indeed I have not read The Secret History (yet; I fully intend to), however Evelyn Waughn (sp?)'s Brideshead Revisited seems to me to fit your description as a glove does a hand.

• 4 years later...

A very late reply, but I'm reading this book now. Enjoying it so far. It's a book which takes it time to tell a story, could have been easily boring, but the story telling of Tartt is marvelous. You really feel the atmosphere and get to know the characters. I'm still in the second chapter, but can't wait to read more. 

Ivo Stourton's 'The night climbers' is named somewhere online as a book the fans of Tartt might enjoy. I haven't read it yet, but one of the descriptions on it's cover is 'The Secret History' meets Ian McEwan. (haven't read McEwan either btw) Both books were mentioned somewhere as possible reads for people who enjoyed reading 'The Hidden' of Tobias Hill, I was comparing my opinion of that 'The Hidden' with others online when it's review brought me to Tartt and Stourton. 

Other than that you might try Proust. His life work examines in detail and excellent use of language every sort of dynamics when people interact with each other, it doesn't have much of a plot though, but his writing is mesmerizing. 

Btw, I was hoping to find a thread with an interesting discussion about 'The Secret History' when I came on this forum, surely there has to be one and I just didn't find it?

Edited by sadya

• 3 weeks later...