How to make somebody read?

Green_Shoe

I have a little cousin and she hates reading. Actually, she is not even sure if she does because she'd hardly ever read a whole book. She is just not interested in reading. In her opinion, X-box games are much better.

She is 10 now. In any case, I don't want to force her doing something she doesn't like but it's such a pity. She ignores the wonderful world of literature and has some troubles at school because of that.

Giving books for birthdays and Christmas doesn't help. Should I try audiobooks?

Tricky one this.

How about graphic novels? I bought my nephew a graphic version of 'The Hobbit' in addition to a copy of the book proper, so that he could progress onto the full text.

There are some great Graphic novels out there, if you peruse somewhere like Amazon. This might be the way to go.

Have the obvious things been eliminated here though? Is it just a lack of interest, or is there maybe some literacy problems?

Not all people enjoy reading and as much as we think that it's a pity, it's really their choice. Some people are also reallly headstrong about these things, if they feel like they are "pressured" to try reading, they become more against it. I'm not saying that you Green_Shoe would be pressuring her or anything, I'm sure you are tactful and are thinking well. But just don't be disappointed if your efforts go to waste :lol:

Yeah, it may well be that reading just isn't her thing - some people are more visual than others, which is why maybe games or movies would appeal more. It is a shame though, as books rule.

Having said that, I'm a serious console-gamer myself and there's a lot of value in some of the games out there, so it's not the end of the world if she does like her X-Box more.

Green_Shoe, to answer your question: Noooooooooooo!

Was there a book in school that you really didn't enjoy? Mine was Ian McEwan's Child in Time. Being forced to read it put me off of it forever. I respect it as a novel, I infact love McEwan's other works, but Child in Time will remain always on my "hate" list.

The one thing I would be frightened of here is putting your cousin off of reading permanently if she feels to much pressure for it now. Providing any special needs have been ruled out (I have known some people who really hate reading and writing because they have dyslexia or other special needs), I would say let her come to it in her own time.

My younger sister hated reading as a child. And now at the age of 20 she reads as avidly as I do. This may be the case for your cousin. (Also, if it helps to know, my sister owned about 30 playstation games at the age of 12, and used to get up an hour early in the mornings so she could play before school. She used to mute the volume and play through the night as well.)

ohno! It can be so upsetting when people, especially young people, do not want to read. I was lucky, my Mum was always reading when I was growing up and what started as imitation soon turned into a massive pleasure :lol:

I agree with others - she will probably become more and more stubborn about reading if she feels like you are forcing her.

I was an unusual child. My parents used to say, 'I'll take you to the library to choose a new book if you are good' and it shut me up :(

I always think a book like Harry Potter or Twilight (for a young teen) might be the right stepping stone to getting them onto bigger and better things.

Has she shown no interest in HP at all? I find that quite surprising.

Here is a suggestion. Have her over or take her for a drive. Instead of making her read, put in a audio book, HP, for instance. Let her listen to if for a short time, then cut it off. Everytime she's with you play a little more. She'll get to thinking about that story and become really curious about it. One of two things can happen. Either you will finish that book on cd or she'll want to read it because she cant wait for you.

I also would get the book to go with the audio so she would eventually be able to "read" along with it.

Trust me, my kids know most of Jane Austen, Anna Karenina and so many others because thats what I listened to. They got really excited.

You can't make someone read if they're determined not to - you're more likely to make them even more reluctant to try. Perhaps she'll come round to it in her own time - my sister did. SHe HATED reading (we discovered late on that she's mildly dyslexic) but in recent years has developed an absolute passion for books!

I'm not sure that you can make someone read.

I always tell my boys that I did everything right when it came to reading to them and making story-time a priority when they were growing up. :D I read to them practically from the womb, we made regular trips to libraries and bookstores ....their book collection was ridiculous and I read to them every.single.night. until they were in their early teens. They loved story-time and looked forward to it everyday. Do either of them read now? Alas, ....no. :friends0::no: Both took to sports and athletics. I can only hope that what I did during their early years will eventually rub-off and as they get older, I hope they rediscover the wonderful world of books.

I remember when i was young my mum always used to say 'when i was your age i was reading such and such' and so on and it used to annoy me because we never really read together as a family. But my husband's family was totally different. They love books, and they especially love sharing this love. Now Ben and I have adopted this idea and we read together.

Now i am determined that when i have children, i'm going to read to them and with them as soon as i can, and even when they get older and past the 'bedtime story' stage i still plan to read with them, as a family. Just the same as Ben's family do. Even now we all sit and read together and i love it.

Maybe try this with you cousin. Read a story with her. You could even do it a bit cheekily by reading it yourself and then saying "hey listen to this", until you excite her interest, ect. That might work.

I'm going to agree with the ones who said you cannot make anyone read if they don't want to. When I was 10 I hated to read. My interest picked up at the age of 12, then died, and picked up again at the age of 19...and then died.

I think the person has to come to it themselves. I've been trying to get my daughter to read (she's 10) for years. I offered up Judy Blume books and other popular books for kids her age, she was not interested.

Then she found the Twilight series, and now she cannot get enough of vampire novels.

Everyone has there own pace, and when she find something she is interested in, I'm sure her reading will pick up. Maybe if you know what that is, you can suggest a book to her.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to put this. And I'm certainly not aiming this at anyone in particular, I just got this thought about this topic in my head that I'd like to share. As much as we all love reading and would wish that everyone read and got the same kicks out of books that we get, I think it's a bit ... arrogant? and maybe a bit patronizing to think that people are missing so much if they don't read. I'm not saying that I don't have those thoughts myself sometimes, I just think that it's wrong to assume that everyone should enjoy the same thing and their lives would be better if they read books. It's a bit like trying to convert people into something against their free will. I would certainly be annoyed if someone told me I'm missing out on so much when I don't enjoy the opera. I certainly wouldn't see it like that myself :friends0:

Yet again, I want to stress that this was just a thought that popped in to my head, it's certainly no comment to anyone's previous post on this thread :D

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to put this. And I'm certainly not aiming this at anyone in particular, I just got this thought about this topic in my head that I'd like to share. As much as we all love reading and would wish that everyone read and got the same kicks out of books that we get, I think it's a bit ... arrogant? and maybe a bit patronizing to think that people are missing so much if they don't read. I'm not saying that I don't have those thoughts myself sometimes, I just think that it's wrong to assume that everyone should enjoy the same thing and their lives would be better if they read books. It's a bit like trying to convert people into something against their free will. I would certainly be annoyed if someone told me I'm missing out on so much when I don't enjoy the opera. I certainly wouldn't see it like that myself :friends0:

Yet again, I want to stress that this was just a thought that popped in to my head, it's certainly no comment to anyone's previous post on this thread :D

That's all very true and I agree with you but I can also see the otherside of it. I am currently trying for a baby and if my son/daughter grew up to NOT enjoy reading I would be a little sad, I must admit :motz:

However, knowing what it is like to be a teenger, I wouldn't push reading onto them.

I think thats a really good point Frankie. I think sometimes maybe i can be so enthusiatic about the things i love i proberbly sound like i'm trying to convert everyone all the time!

However i get the impression that a lot less people are reading nowadays because they feel other things entertain them quicker, without them having to put any effort in. Basically people are just getting lazy. I also know some people who don't read and they admit they haven't really tried. It just sounds like hard work to them.

Reading does have many benefits. They include: improving peoples concentration, encouraging creativeness and imagination, spelling and writing skills, and many more.

For my part, i would definatly expect my children to read. I don't expect them to be avid readers, just to be a reader.

I also hate the idea of being in a world full of people with no imagination or a lack of patience with anything other than a computer game, tv, etc. Imagination is what drives people to create, and without creation there would be no expression, and without expression the world would be a very dull and insular place to live.

Edited by jewell

I have a little cousin and she hates reading. Actually, she is not even sure if she does because she'd hardly ever read a whole book. She is just not interested in reading. In her opinion, X-box games are much better.

She is 10 now. In any case, I don't want to force her doing something she doesn't like but it's such a pity. She ignores the wonderful world of literature and has some troubles at school because of that.

Giving books for birthdays and Christmas doesn't help. Should I try audiobooks?

Two suggestions. First one is book tokens, that way she'll have to go into a book shop, and might actualy like the freedom of choosing her own book.

second is non-fiction, everyone likes non-fiction, encyclopedias etc.

MuggleMagic, I certainly understand you wanting your offspring to enjoy reading, there's nothing wrong with that :( By the way, good luck with that project ;)

However i get the impression that a lot less people are reading nowadays because they feel other things entertain them quicker, without them having to put any effort in. Basically people are just getting lazy. I also know some people who don't read and they admit they haven't really tried. It just sounds like hard work to them.

Jewell I think you nailed it right there, I've also come to the conclusion that some people are just too lazy. It's so much easier to turn the telly on and just sit and watch. You can even choose the most dimwitted shows there are, avoiding the mindbender ones. I confess I've done that myself sometimes :friends0:

MuggleMagic, I certainly understand you wanting your offspring to enjoy reading, there's nothing wrong with that :( By the way, good luck with that project :)

Jewell I think you nailed it right there, I've also come to the conclusion that some people are just too lazy. It's so much easier to turn the telly on and just sit and watch. You can even choose the most dimwitted shows there are, avoiding the mindbender ones. I confess I've done that myself sometimes :friends0:

Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll be shouting it from the rooftops when we get some good news :D

Perhaps, I'll read Harry Potter to my son/daughter as a child... brainwash them from the start ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for suggestions and ideas. I really appreciate it. I'm having a secret mission starting tommorow. I'll give it a last try. In any case, she is a personality and I respect that. I don't want her to hate or ignore me. I love her as she is. But still...

She got interested in Harry Potter audiobooks today, hurrah. She likes the movies, but her school friends told her that the original story was different. Since she doesn't like having nothing to say in such situations, she's going to listen to it. Well... It's a little victory.

Yup computers rule childrens lives nowadays, rather than a work tool it is more of a communication advice, my grandaughter is never off her lap top and she has such a nice book collection on her shelves.

I have to be patient and keep telling her about the books I have read hoping she may pick one up and read it.