Jasper Fforde

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirinrob, I've only got two words for you: stop it!!! You make me feel slow and undeserving of Jasper's Jenius!

On a saner note, enjoy: the first half of Something Rotten is the first Jasper I ever read, and though the plot baffled me at the time, I still recognised that the Jenius was strong in this one.

Finished 'Something Rotten' review here

Having now read all 4 of the 'Thursday Next' series, I must say Jasper is an extremely competent wordsmith. As I progressed through the series, it was clear that his style has matured the further into the series I read. Yhe one book that was subtly differnet in style was 'The Well of Lost Plots'. I believe that's because it was set in BookWorld so Jasper made it fit that 'reality', rather than the grittier style of the others.

If you like fantasy with a literary bent and humour then this series is highly recommended. Thanks to BookJumper for putting me on to these novels.

Till I can get hold off 'First amongst Sequels' and both of the Nursery Crime books I have no more Jasper to read, but i plan to reread the series later, with a view to noting all the references I can spot.

Edited by sirinrob

If you're yet to get hold of FAS and the Nursery Crime books, may I suggest ordering them signed and stamped from Jasper's website :D it's what I did! Your name is more straightforward than mine so he might even spell it right... :roll:. Off to read your review of SR.

yes I had thought of that, but for various reasons I can't at the moment :roll:. He's doing a signing in Cardiff (25th January) to tie in with the publication of 'Shades of Grey' so guess where I am on that day .......:D

ETA

The review of SR is deliberately vague as I don't want to spoil others reading.

Wrapping NCD up seems sensible to me, he doesn't seem to be running out of TN juice (TN 6: One of Our Thursdays is Missing is in the pipeworks)* and he's just started on the SoG series; it's quite valiant actually that he's looking to write NCD 3 at all!

* ... will he quit writing them faster than I can read them :D???