The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams

Janet

040-2009-Aug-03-TheBehaviourofMoths.jpg

The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams

The ‘blurb’

From her lookout on the first floor, Ginny watches and waits for her younger sister to return to the crumbling mansion that was once their idyllic childhood home. Vivien has not set foot in the house since she left, forty-seven years ago: Ginny, the reclusive moth expert, has rarely ventured outside it.

But with Vivien’s arrival, dark, unspoken secrets surface. Told in Ginny’s unforgettable voice, this debut novel tells a disquieting story of two sisters and the ties that bind - sometimes a little too tightly.

I enjoyed it once I got into it, but it took me aaages to read it. This was more to do with my disappearing mojo (now thankfully back in place!) than the actual content of the book.

I think some of it was slightly predictable but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of it. It's nicely written and is pretty atmospheric in parts. There are dark elements to it but they’re not graphic and it's not a difficult read at all. I sort of saw the ending coming but it was a good ending and the right one for the circumstances of the novel, I think.

It was very promising for a début novel so I’ll certainly be looking out for more by this author in future.

The paperback is 309 pages long and is published by Virago. The ISBN number is 978-1844084883.

7½/10

• 3 weeks later...