Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal" by The Mob

Kell

The cast list has been released for the adaptation of Going Postal by Terry Pratchett by Mob Films:

Moist von Lipwig - Richard Coyle

Reacher Guilt - David Suchet

Lord Vetinari - Charles Dance

Adora Belle Dearheart - Claire Foy

Drumknott - Steve Pemberton

Groat - Andrew Sachs

Miss Cripslock - Tamsin Greig

I am SOOOOOOO pleased to see Richard Coyle and Charles Dance in that list - I think they'll be amazing in those roles. And as for David Suchet, well, he always adds a touch of class to whatever project he's working on.

In August a bunch of Pratchett fans will get to be extras as they film in Budapest (how exciting is THAT?!). No fixed release date yet other than to say "2009", so I'm guessing it'll be around Xmas again. I'm so excited - what a great cast! Hoefully this will be a whole lot better than the previous offerings - I was slightly disappointed by The Hogfather and VERY disappointed with The Colour of Magic!

I can't place Richard Coyle... I feel like I know the name, but I can't picture him. What's he been in?

I quite like the idea of Charles Dance as Vetinari! Should be good. :) A pretty good cast all round.

I was slightly disappointed with The Hogfather too, but it's one of my least favourite novels. I haven't seen The Colour of Magic yet.

I can't place Richard Coyle... I feel like I know the name, but I can't picture him. What's he been in?...

I was slightly disappointed with The Hogfather too, but it's one of my least favourite novels. I haven't seen The Colour of Magic yet.

Richard Coyle was also in Strange (playing the main character). He has a lovely soft Welsh accent that makes me melt!

And personally, I wouldn't bother with The Colour of Magic. If you were disappointed with Hogfather, I doubt you'll be best pleased with what they did to the first two books in the series!

He played Jeff ("Brrreasts!") in Coupling.
... don't get me wrong, I love Coupling but... Jeff ----> Lord Vetinari? I hope he gets him right, Vetinari is quite possibly my favourite Discworld character, dialogue-wise. He gets all the best lines!

Panic not, Charles Dance is going to be Vetinari! And he is my favourite character too (well, joint favourite with Vimes). SO HE'D BETTER DO A GOOD JOB! :motz:

As for Richard Coyle, I haven't seen Coupling or Strange, so I'm still none the wiser. I'll have to pop over to Imdb. He wasn't in Neverwhere, was he?

Panic not, Charles Dance is going to be Vetinari! And he is my favourite character too (well, joint favourite with Vimes). SO HE'D BETTER DO A GOOD JOB!
Ahem, I misread :motz: sowwy!

Looking forward to this, I love Moist (;))! I, too, thought that Hogfather was a bit of a let-down (Teatime was suitably creepy but that was about it; they got Death COMPLETELY wrong ;)) so *fingers crossed*... ;).

I suppose that means I'd better get round to reading this (i.e. re-reading most of it & reading the last 50 pages, as you may or may not know my first copy got lost in a thieving accident a few years ago; recently I picked up another but as I can't remember much apart from its brilliance methinks it would be best to begin from scratch again and have done with it).

As for Richard Coyle, I haven't seen Coupling or Strange, so I'm still none the wiser. I'll have to pop over to Imdb. He wasn't in Neverwhere, was he?

Nope, no sign of him in Neverwhere, I'm afraid. And bizarrely, it turns out he's not even Welsh - he's from Sheffield. So, why the Welsh accent, Mr Coyle? :motz:

I did have a look on Imdb, but I still don't know him from anything I've seen! So I'll have to rely on you all to tell me if you think he's a good actor, and if you think he's right for the role of Moist.

Bookjumper, just read Going Postal, from the beginning, as soon as possible. It's brilliant! :motz:

• 9 months later...

Another one that I'll have to wait for the DVD to see :lol:

Claire Foy is excellent so looking forward to seeing her in it.

I wasn't mad keen on the other two though ... 'The Hogfather' and 'The Colour of Magic' especially the latter one. I hated Sean Astin as Twoflower and didn't think David Jason was right for Rincewind either.

They didn't do justice to the books imo, though that would be difficult.

Apparently they have taken liberties with the story a bit, but mostly to quicken the pace (which is where the other adaptations fell down a great deal - far too slow!). I won't be watching tonight - we're downloading taping both parts so I can watch them together as 6pm on a Sunday is a useless time for me.

So, if anyone does watch it and posts comments, please, please, please use spoiler tags. :lol:

It is, indeed, a slang term* - I believe Pratchett used it for that very reson - he's a big fan of puns. :lol:

From Wiki:

Means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment.

Going Postal derives from a series of incidents from 1983 onward in which United States Postal Service (USPS) workers shot and killed managers, fellow workers, and members of the police or general public in acts of mass murder. Between 1986 and 1997, more than 40 people were gunned down by spree killers in at least 20 incidents of workplace rage.

Edited by Kell

It's at times like this I really wish I had Sky... :D

I'll just have to buy the DVD. :lol: Going Postal is one of my all-time favourite Pratchetts. I bought Hogfather and quite liked it (though it's not one of my favourite books), but I haven't bought The Colour of Magic. I don't know why, I must have forgotten about it!

I just finished watching the second part of 'Going Postal' and I enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun, whimsical , a bit magical and just great viewing, Richard Coyle, I think made the part of Moist von Lipwig his own, plus he is a great actor (I still miss 'Strange') I thought it was better than 'The Hogfather' which I like but thought it dragged on a bit and I never saw 'The Colour of Magic' :blush:

I never read the book but I hope to read it soon and I am ordering the dvd when its available :tong:

Edited by Weave

We watched part one last night & really enjoyed it, i've never read any Pratchett so don't have anything to compare it too & so don't know how faithful they've been to the book but it certainly made good TV something that's getting rarer & rarer these days.