SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan
  • LocationKent

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

I'm starting this as it made be think after reading a few comments on the Dr Zhivago post in the Classics thread, and that the book was possibly misquoted as the Greatest Love Story every written (the movie's fault, in my view), I started to wonder what would indeed be the greatest.

As I write this, I haven't a clue, but will put my thinking cap on and will try to come up with one or two ideas.

Interested to know your views though in the meantime:).

Edited by Michelle, 22 July 2009 - 11:07 AM.
made a mistake in title but can't edit it! [fixed for you - Michelle :)]

#2 Nicola

Nicola

Here, there & neverwhere

• Advanced Member
  • 1,591 posts
  • Reading now?:Prince Lestat by Anne Rice
  • LocationNewcastle-upon-Tyne

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

Such a good thread!!

For me it would have to be Pride and Prejudice. I know it's the most obvious love story but that's probably because it's the greatest.

I've read it a million times and have the BBC adaptation on DVD which I watch every other month. I just love it! ;)

#3 MuggleMagic

MuggleMagic

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Reading now?:Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

I have no idea... I am interested to see what other people have to say as well!

#4 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

It depends on your interpretation of "great" I suppose. Is it the storuy itself? Is it that the characters overcome huge odds and obstacles to be together no matter what? Is it that the characters are perfect for one another?

Wuthering Heights is often cited as being a great love story, but to me it's more about obsession.

Romeo and Juliet is another "great love story", but once again, I think their relationship is incredibly obsessive, ending in their double suicide!

How about Jane Eyre? She sticks by her guns and refuses to marry a man who is already married, even though she loves him completely and the thought of being apart from him is dreadful to her. She loves him in spite of (or even because of?) all his faults and even sticks by him when he thinks all is lost. They overcome ever obstacle to be together, but neither of them is diminished by the relationship - they are equals and each has their own thoughts and moral standpoints. THAT, to me, is a great love story - possibly the greatest one ever.

#5 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,525 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

I would probably say Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I've never come across such passionate and unselfish love in any other book I've read. Those of you who have read the book must know who I'm talking about.

#6 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Some interesting books mentioned so far. Yes I would have to agree with the likes of Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre although I also agree that Wuthering Heights was more about obsession than love.

I would like to add Dicken's Great Expectations - in spite of the way Estelle treated Pip until the end, it was a great love story. To an extent, Rebecca is a good love story - Mrs De W's love for Maxim triumphs over a lot of adversity. In Gone with the Wind, the love interest in question is Tara and Ashley Wilkes and of course Scarlett herself:)

H E Bates wrote some good love stories, Love for Lydia and Fair Stood the Wind for France stand out.

Mmm, will have to think of some more.

Edited by SueK, 22 July 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Kate

Kate

It's time to read!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,316 posts
  • Reading now?:The Secret History by Donna Tartt
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

Another question to ask: is it only Classics that are worth mentioning or do you think modern writers can write a great love story too?

#8 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Another question to ask: is it only Classics that are worth mentioning or do you think modern writers can write a great love story too?

Oh I don't think I'd limit it to classics, although if it is a great book and therefore, a great love story, it could well become a classic in time. Who knows though, there may well be a great love story in the Mills and Boon range that we don't know of;)

Love in the Time of Cholera has been mentioned as a great love story, (I personally didn't enjoy the book at all) but that has become a modern classic.

#9 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,204 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Whenever I think of great love stories, I do think of classics, or certainly books that seem to be standing the test of time.

I know a lot of people cite Pride and Prejudice, but I think Persuasion is the better love story from Austen, and I also adore A Room With A View by E. M. Forster.

Trying to think of modern books that may still make an impression on me in the years to come, and the ones that stick out are The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith. I read TTTW two and a half years ago and remember shedding tears over it, while I read GMB just last year and it was a totally uplifting, joyous depiction of love.

#10 MuggleMagic

MuggleMagic

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Reading now?:Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

It depends on your interpretation of "great" I suppose. Is it the storuy itself? Is it that the characters overcome huge odds and obstacles to be together no matter what? Is it that the characters are perfect for one another?

Wuthering Heights is often cited as being a great love story, but to me it's more about obsession.

Romeo and Juliet is another "great love story", but once again, I think their relationship is incredibly obsessive, ending in their double suicide!

How about Jane Eyre? She sticks by her guns and refuses to marry a man who is already married, even though she loves him completely and the thought of being apart from him is dreadful to her. She loves him in spite of (or even because of?) all his faults and even sticks by him when he thinks all is lost. They overcome ever obstacle to be together, but neither of them is diminished by the relationship - they are equals and each has their own thoughts and moral standpoints. THAT, to me, is a great love story - possibly the greatest one ever.

Jane Eyre was the first book that came to my mind ;)

I would probably say Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I've never come across such passionate and unselfish love in any other book I've read. Those of you who have read the book must know who I'm talking about.

Tale of Two Cities is on my reading list :)

Some interesting books mentioned so far. Yes I would have to agree with the likes of Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre although I also agree that Wuthering Heights was more about obsession than love.

I would like to add Dicken's Great Expectations - in spite of the way Estelle treated Pip until the end, it was a great love story. To an extent, Rebecca is a good love story - Mrs De W's love for Maxim triumphs over a lot of adversity. In Gone with the Wind, the love interest in question is Tara and Ashley Wilkes and of course Scarlett herself:)

H E Bates wrote some good love stories, Love for Lydia and Fair Stood the Wind for France stand out.

Mmm, will have to think of some more.

I love Rebecca! Why didn't I think of that! It is a brilliant love story and the couple get through a LOT together!

#11 Fi

Fi

In a sparkly daze...

• 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

The greatest love stories for me are Pride & Prejudice, Wuthering Heights and The Time Traveller's Wife - all amazing love stories in one way or another ;)

#12 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

... and I also adore A Room With A View by E. M. Forster.

Now, THAT'S a great love story. As is Howard' End - love of family, love in the romantic sense, and love of a place all rolled into one. I love E M Forster!

To an extent, Rebecca is a good love story - Mrs De W's love for Maxim triumphs over a lot of adversity.

Beautiful, sweeping love story there!

#13 Scarlette

Scarlette

Mega Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Reading now?:Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

The greatest love stories for me are Pride & Prejudice, Wuthering Heights and The Time Traveller's Wife - all amazing love stories in one way or another ;)

That one definitely makes my list of great love stories. :)

Also, I haven't read it yet, but Love in the Time of Cholera sounds (from the synopsis) to be a very romantic love story.

#14 tyvek999

tyvek999

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

I don't read love stories. So, anyone recommend any so I can also post.;)

#15 joe

joe

Wants an Edward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Reading now?:Water for Elephants
  • LocationLancaster

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

For me it has to be The Time Travellers Wife, a beautiful and modern love story.

#16 Beccles

Beccles

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

The Bible. The love between man and God is unbounded:friends0:

#17 Dimitra

Dimitra

Addicted!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

Eeeerm...I think she meant romantic love.

I think that the greatest one is Wuthering Heights. I don't agree with those saying it was more obsession that love. The way I see it, it was the highest level of (romantic) love that someone can reach. Atonement was also beautiful, I cried so bad when I saw it on cinema

#18 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,251 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:11 AM

I haven't read Wuthering Heights yet but I definitely agree with Pride and Prejudice and A Tale of Two Cities. The former kept me intrigued to see how their relationship would progress, and the latter had me crying buckets.

And while this thread may not be about the love of friends, I can't help but mention Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

#19 DanC_84

DanC_84

Community FTW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Reading now?:Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

And while this thread may not be about the love of friends, I can't help but mention Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

I remember studying that book in Grade 10. I remember
Spoiler

#20 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

Well mentioned Kylie! It is a powerful story of love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users