Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Weave

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the film at the weekend. I was worried that it would be a bit grim because I found some of the parts in the book a little close to the mark.

Anyway, it was a REALLY good film. I loved it :friends0:

Definite thumbs up for book and film :(

I am looking forward to seeing the movie ;)

thank you Gyre! It looks really good :(

It does, I am hoping to get it for my birthday or christmas (they are that close together, it does not really matter :friends0:)

The film was indeed quite good, even OH enjoyed it (he's not into vampires and usually prefers more action-y things), he called it "subtle" and it is, it's got an understatedness to it which makes the few intense scenes even more intense. Great acting from the two kids although if I were you, I'd try and see it subtitled - the dubbers aren't all that; Eli's English voice was all wrong, IMHO.

The film was indeed quite good, even OH enjoyed it (he's not into vampires and usually prefers more action-y things), he called it "subtle" and it is, it's got an understatedness to it which makes the few intense scenes even more intense. Great acting from the two kids although if I were you, I'd try and see it subtitled - the dubbers aren't all that; Eli's English voice was all wrong, IMHO.

Yes, I saw the subtitled version. I have also heard that an American version is being made. I'm glad I have seen the original.

I saw the posters for the American remake some time ago; I think it's appalling Hollywood film-makers are unable to see a good foreign film without remaking it. I wish they'd stop...

I agree Guilia, I read somewhere that the american version will have a more 'hollywood ending' :friends0:

I agree Guilia, I read somewhere that the american version will have a more 'hollywood ending' :friends0:

A more Hollywood ending? Right... whatever that means ;)

I thought the pool scene was fantastic. I was particularly interested to see how they handled that bit and I thought it was done very effectively.

I hate to think what Hollywood will do with that bit :(

I am boycotting this remake!

Although I'm reluctant to write about a movie here, I feel compelled to recommend 'Let The Right One In', to anyone interested in the possibilities of film.

Never have I found a truer use for the word captivating.

Unfortunately for me I tend not to read or watch adaptations (with rare exceptions) so it was always going to be which ever format I first consumed it in.

I know the impact of the book will now be limited for me, but on the flip-side I have seen a special movie.

Edited by Pablo

I know the impact of the book will now be limited for me, but on the flip-side I have seen a special movie.

If you thought the film was good then you are in for a real treat, the film has nothing on the book.

I watched the subtitled version last night and have to say I was a bit disappointed :smile2: The book was far, far better. I know that is normally the case and wasn't really expecting it to be as good as the book, but I did expect a bit more :motz:

Unfortunately for me I tend not to read or watch adaptations (with rare exceptions) so it was always going to be which ever format I first consumed it in.

Hi Pablo, the book came first, then the film adaption, the book is excellent, I hope you get the chance to read it :motz:

Thanks Guys. I know that the movie was adapted from the book, which is almost universally the case, but for me reading a book I had pre-conceived ideas about would be pointless. I would be visualising the movie whilst reading and that wouldn't do.

As a final nail in the coffin (excuse the pun) I am also aware of some of the book elements that did not make it into the movie.

For me a book has to be unknown territory.

I am also aware of some of the book elements that did not make it into the movie.

Absolutely loads of stuff didn't make it into the film, it was a real hatchet job and for someone who didn't read the book like my OH, it left a lot of questions unanswered. :irked:

Thanks for the recommendations, but as a final point from me on the subject, I liked the fact that the movie didn't spell everything out, but rather allowed the viewer to contemplate.

SPOILER ALERT:

Also, there are aspects of the book I've heard about which I'm glad didn't make it into the film,

namely Eli being a boy rather than a girl, and Hakan's peadophiliac nature.

For me the above points would only dirty a beautiful, if sad, tale.

I know that the movie hints at these issues, but the scenes are vague enough to allow individual interpretation. For example,

when Eli asks Oskar whether he would still like her if she wsn't a girl, we could see this as her confession to being a vampire, or better still, an old lady trapped in the body of a young girl.

Similarily (damn word)

Hakan asking Eli not to see Oskar one night, could be viewed as either the jealous pangs of a former lover (for want of a better term) now reduced to a fatherly figure due to physical age differences, or Hakan's concern for Oskar becoming another in Eli's conveyor belt of relationships.

Eli's intentions throughout the movie are also deliciously vague, something I'm led to believe is not the case in the book.

No, the book would only destroy my own personal interpretation of the movie, I'm afraid. I appreciate your enthusiasm though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it in the written format.

For me, I've got everything I want from the story.

Edited by Chrissy
added spoiler cover - just in case!