Waiting by Ha Jin

Chimera

I have to admit, I sorta had a peep while waiting on Chimera. (And because I can't read at all over the next couple days, I'm very busy.)

It's very good at pulling the reader into the time and world it's set in. It doesn't go overboard with descriptions and explanations, on the contrary it's very concise and almost speaks as if stating the obvious that the reader will already know, but in a conversational tone. I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but meh! :irked:

I'm not so sure if the characters are gonna be particularly easy to warm to. Not sure why. We'll see how it goes, I suppose.

Oh, I can't wait to hear what you two think about this! I absolutely adored this book!

It's so simplistic and pure in language, there's nothing embellished. It's honest and raw and captivating in its lack of decorations and descriptions, you're there, as opposed to being told about it. I'm not making much sense to you yet, but you'll see...

I was wondering how long until you got here! :blush:

But I get you already, you just said what I was very badly trying to, the descriptions are so simply but specificially written that they just make you feel like you're there.

Started this today and yes I can sort of see what you mean already ii... the style is sort of dry: not overdone, or forced, or artificial in any way. It makes it a tad uninviting at first... I think that links back to what you were saying about not warming immediately to the characters Roxi, as the author doesn't give us that much insight into their feelings to begin with, or at least doesn't wrap them up 'nicely' like lots of novels do... but I think in the long run it will make it all the more authentic.

You're both right about the characters. They're not done in this sort of... well, you know how in Disney movies the good people are always pretty and the evil ones are ugly? Sometimes it feels like novel characters are done like that. The ones we're supposed to like are made oh-so-lovable and the "bad guys" are distinguished by their shortcomings. Waiting doesn't have that at all!

I guess that's because it's mainly about the imperfections. The characters aren't supposed to be beautiful and kind and all-around-perfect. (If you're like me, and can't resist the spoiler tag, trust me, I'm giving away the story here, the essence of the story, so unless you've read it already or have no intention of doing so, do NOT read what's hidden here!)

Just like, in the end, the 'perfect love story' doesn't work out, it's not perfect, which is basically the story of humans. We're not some ideal that seems perfect when looked from afar, but imperfect creatures that may or may not fit into where we thing they'll fit.

If you're like me, and can't resist the spoiler tag, trust me, I'm giving away the story here, the essence of the story, so unless you've read it already or have no intention of doing so, do NOT read what's hidden here!)

You do know that that makes it all the more tempting right? :D

And I just discovered something dramatic... spoiler tags dont work when you are quoting a message... only saw the first line but, yeah, I think it was enough *feels like crying*

So another warning for anyone who hasn't read the book yet: do NOT quote ii's message to answer it :blush:

*laughs at Roxi* Read the book!!!

Awww, Chimmy! That sucks! That's a big problem, though. It should be so that you cannot quote an spoiler tagged bit, that would be a perfect solution.

But the bit you saw, it's not the whole truth! It's more an interpretation. Helping at all?? *looks hopeful*

Do resist, please do! Honestly there's nothing interesting in there, not even worth thinking about *looks as convincing as she can*

Exactly!

I just said a compliment about you there, so no need for you to go and see, Roxi. I said you have lovely smile, which goes to show you're a nice person. (As good people are pretty, you see.)

*laughs at Roxi* Read the book!!!

Awww, Chimmy! That sucks! That's a big problem, though. It should be so that you cannot quote an spoiler tagged bit, that would be a perfect solution.

But the bit you saw, it's not the whole truth! It's more an interpretation. Helping at all?? *looks hopeful*

Yes, there should be some protection against this terrible loophole! :D

But I'm sure you didn't really understand the book or were just trying to mislead us... anyway I only saw it quickly so, I cant have read it right uh? :blush:

I've had to put the book on pause, as I'm working on an essay. Hopefully I'll get back to it tomorrow, and by Wednesday at the latest. I think I might have to avoid this thread so as not to look at the spoiler.

Yes, there should be some protection against this terrible loophole! :D

But I'm sure you didn't really understand the book or were just trying to mislead us... anyway I only saw it quickly so,I cant have read it right uh? :blush:

I am known for making no sense at all, so that's always a possibility. And I love creating trouble, so I could just make things up, yes. Or maybe I'm just completely overworked and was thinking of a different book altogether! That could be the case. What were we talking about here again? Harry Potter?

And besides! When have I EVER stayed on topic???

I can't describe how effective this book is. It's like, for example, Shuya. Everything that Lin feels, I feel. Indifference etc. I do also feel a little pity, and for a character I don't even particularly like to evoke a sense of sympathy from me is quite an accomplishment.

I still don't particularly LIKE Manna, but I must admit that as the book goes on and the portrait of life in general becomes more layered, Manna is put into perspective and I'm starting to see her as the best thing in a somewhat emotionally lacking world, if that makes sense. I'm not sure is that the best way to describe it.

ii, fix what I'm trying to say.

I can't describe how effective this book is. It's like, for example, Shuya. Everything that Lin feels, I feel. Indifference etc. I do also feel a little pity, and for a character I don't even particularly like to evoke a sense of sympathy from me is quite an accomplishment.

I still don't particularly LIKE Manna, but I must admit that as the book goes on and the portrait of life in general becomes more layered, Manna is put into perspective and I'm starting to see her as the best thing in a somewhat emotionally lacking world, if that makes sense. I'm not sure is that the best way to describe it.

ii, fix what I'm trying to say.

*laughs* I'm flattered at your trust in my abilities.

Well, the thing that gets me, well one of them, in this book is that you're sort of thrown from the usual roles. In a way you're pre-set to dislike Manna and cheer for Shuya, because Manna's the other woman and Shuya the wife. That's just the moral coding in us, and in a lesser book it would be written either so that Manna's a bad person trying to break up the marriage or that Shuya is the evil wife, wrong not just for Lin but as a person, so Lin would have the pure good Manna to turn to.

Only, it's not so simple. I found Shuya fascinating. Her satisfaction to what she had, the simplicity of her life and the way she settles for what she has because that's "her role", is incredible. She doesn't do it to cause trouble, she doesn't fight for Lin as such, she obeys her own morals and believes in her duties as a wife. You don't need to like her to 'get her', if know what I mean. As a character she's honest and you respond to that.

On the other hand, so is Manna. It's difficult to dislike her when all she does is honest. Not maybe honest as in open and revealed and so on, but honest to her feelings. She does feel bad about the situation, she regrets things and doesn't want to do anything that's wrong. But she's fallen in love. It's difficult to hate someone for that.

What you said, Roxi, about the emotional void in their world is true. It's very true. Everything is regulated, and dictated and done in a bureaucratic way. There's very little if at all space for basic human emotion. Which makes one wonder, is that desire for emotion, the need to feel something, behind the relationship of Manna and Li? If they were in a more free society, would they have fallen in love? Or are they just reaching for someone who's feeling the same lacking in the emotionally cold world they live in?

Was I at all talking about what you were talking, Roxi?

Yup, you got the general gist of what I was saying.

I notice a lot of things that might seem disgusting to us (for example, Lin's cousin spitting into the river and the carp swallowing it) are completely addressed objectively - 'Lin would never do that' as opposed to 'ewh'. It's not just romantic or relationship emotions that seem to be lacking, it seems to be all emotions. The only time anybody gets emotional (outside Lin and Manna) is when somebody tries to oppose the... thingy. Word I can't think of. Traditional order of things.

At the same time though, it does make you really, really root for Manna and Lin, because what they have is genuine. Whether it would have been genuine outside such a society, as you say, is a different matter. But in that world, it's about as genuine as things can get.

Okay.

I'm onto Part 3. This is where the 18 years of Waiting ends.

I'm going to throw out my thoughts. I'm going to spoiler them, because I don't want to influence anybody, but let it be known: these are just my thoughts!!

I've already decided this won't end happily. The book is too realistic.

Option A) The divorce doesn't go through for some reason. Unlikely.

Option :friends0: One of them gets transferred regardless of whether the divorce happens, and they end up apart anyway. Death is optional.

Option C) The divorce goes through, but something happens to Manna. New man/death. That seems somewhat unlikely too, although I'm not entirely certain.

Since we're more geared towards Lin as the 'main character' (imo) I'm going to go with

Option D) The divorce goes through, but Bensheng accidentally or otherwise kills Lin.

You know, I'll be kinda disappointed if somebody doesn't die. Or if it has a happy ending. That's just not how it's meant to go.