The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale

I started this book on Sunday and haven't been able to put it down. It's been on my tbr list since I read a newspaper article last autumn, about the book and the real life case it is about.

It's set in the summer of 1860 and revolves around the murder of a young boy who was taken from his bed during the night. Anyone in the house could have committed the crime and as this is real life things don't tie up neatly like they tend to do in fiction.

The Mr Whicher of the title is the detective assigned to the case. This was at a time when police detectives were fairly new and were given almost superstar status by the general public. It's fascinating to see how such a case was investigated with the limited resources available at the time.

There is a real element of who dunnit about the case, and I am intrigued to see how it turns out and am resisting looking the case up online as I don't want to spoil the journey of the book.

Would love to know if anyone else has read this or plans to and what your thoughts are.

xxSparklexx :D

This is the next book tbr on my list. I have been having a really good scout round the charity shops since Christmas and found this almost pristine copy in one of them. I bought it for a �1 and it sounds like it will be very good value for money.:17:

I'll come back here once I have read it and share views. I must admit it got mixed reviews on Amazon but, I keep telling myself, I must not read these before I pick up a book (I will stay behind and do 500 lines!!):D

Thanks for the recommendation Sparkle.:lol:

I'd seen this book about and hadn't actually read the synopsis till the weekend in WHSmiths and when I realised it's based on a true story, it immediately went on my to get list.

For some reason it's reminding me of a book I read at school (fiction) about a detective who went to a house where a murder had been committed and interviewed and interrogated everyone in the house. The name of the book is totally escaping me though!:)

• 1 month later...

So far I'm enjoying this book. It is quite bogged down with detail but I think that adds to the storyline.

I just went on Wikipaedia to find out a bit about Kate Summerscale as there is no biog on the book, only to find that the murderer was mentioned on there. How annoying is that, I really didn't want to know:irked:

For some reason it's reminding me of a book I read at school (fiction) about a detective who went to a house where a murder had been committed and interviewed and interrogated everyone in the house. The name of the book is totally escaping me though!:)

Might that have been An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestly? The inspector calls at a house following the suicide of a girl, and interrogates everyone.

I just went on Wikipaedia to find out a bit about Kate Summerscale as there is no biog on the book, only to find that the murderer was mentioned on there. How annoying is that, I really didn't want to know

I had a quick look to check this. As far as I remember the case isn't as clear cut as that entry would have you believe so there's no need to worry about is spoiling your enjoyment of the book.

Might that have been An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestly? The inspector calls at a house following the suicide of a girl, and interrogates everyone.
We had to read that. :)

Yeah, nothing brilliant. Then again I enjoyed doing the coursework on it, because I can just look at the book in my own perspective.

I had a quick look to check this. As far as I remember the case isn't as clear cut as that entry would have you believe so there's no need to worry about is spoiling your enjoyment of the book.

Thanks Seiichi that's satisfying to know.:roll: I shall carry on reading happily now.:)

Oh I love An Inspector Calls (JB Priestley is my favourite author anyway) and there is that lovely hint of a ghost story in the book too.

I'm looking forward to picking this one up soon. I popped it on my wanted list after reading an article in the Daily Mail book forums (I was at work, so it must have been here) It took me a while to actually get hold of a copy and typically the market was flooded as soon as R&J put their backing behind it. I've stayed away from any kind of review or spoiler because I'm notorious for losing interest once I know where a book is going, it takes much more effort to read.

Going on what everyone here has said, I can' wait.

• 4 weeks later...

I eventually finished this book and glad I did. I mentioned in other threads that I was easily distracted (unusual for me when I read) and I did pick up other books along the way.

The detail is absolutely incredible and very commendable although I did feel in places it was bogging me down a little, especially as the author digressed to go on to similar books, accounts and other works of fiction. Nonetheless, her research was impeccable. My only disappointment is her charactisation of Mr Whicher himself. We are given to understand that he was very dejected after the original case went against him (won't give away too much) and I would have liked to have "got into the mind" of Mr Whicher more, rather than just reading of his exploits. I wish he had come to life a bit more.. It has prompted me to buy a book that was mentioned in it by Mary Elizabeth Braddon whose book "Lady Audley's secret" is her fictional account of the proceedings.

I eventually finished this book and glad I did. I mentioned in other threads that I was easily distracted (unusual for me when I read) and I did pick up other books along the way........

I`ve got this one waiting for me to get to it, don`t think I`m going to rush to pick it up though. :blush:

Don't get me wrong pipread, I enjoyed the book, the story is compelling and I learnt a lot - especially about society in mid Victorian England. It could just be me and the timing of reading the book (there's a thread about being in the right mood for some books). I've had a lot to deal with recently and most books I chose I can escape into, but this was probably not the right one at that time.

Do read it though, I'm sure you will find it fulfilling.

Edited by SueK

• 1 month later...

I think the murder at Road Hill House was the beginning of the British "cosy" mystery. :smile2: At the time the murder takes place (1860), a detective is a newly formed profession and detectives stories are a brand new form of literature. As a consequence, the author goes into minute detail into contemporary detection methods, court proceedings, press coverage and social commentary and gives a primer on detective fiction. The Book is beautifully written in the language of the 19th century (I wish I could speak as eloquently), but with the amount of detail the book can be heavy to wade through at times.

I give it a 7 out of 10

Don't get me wrong pipread, I enjoyed the book, the story is compelling and I learnt a lot - especially about society in mid Victorian England. It could just be me and the timing of reading the book (there's a thread about being in the right mood for some books). I've had a lot to deal with recently and most books I chose I can escape into, but this was probably not the right one at that time.

Do read it though, I'm sure you will find it fulfilling.

I think the murder at Road Hill House was the beginning of the British "cosy" mystery. :) At the time the murder takes place (1860), a detective is a newly formed profession and detectives stories are a brand new form of literature. As a consequence, the author goes into minute detail into contemporary detection methods, court proceedings, press coverage and social commentary and gives a primer on detective fiction. The Book is beautifully written in the language of the 19th century (I wish I could speak as eloquently), but with the amount of detail the book can be heavy to wade through at times.

I give it a 7 out of 10

I`ve still got it on the TBR pile, near the bottom still! I think I`ll need to find the time when I`m in the right mood for this book, I`ll definately read it though. It sounds like I`d enjoy it if I get the timing right. :D