Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

BookBee8

I'm quite surprised there isn't a more recent post about this series, I absolutely love them and I guess I assumed they were more popular then they are? The series is:

Noughts and Crosses

Knife Edge

Checkmate

Double Cross

They're for young adults, I read the first one when I was 13 and still love the entire series now, at 19. I would recommend them a thousand times over, they've got an element of everything and are so thought provoking. For me, they were one of those series that stays with you for a long, long time after you've finished them and can easily be read many times.

Without giving too much away, the first book is the story of Callum and Sephy and I would argue it's first and foremost a tragic romance with serious issues challenging them. Such as, racism and terrorism (or freedom fighters...depending entirely on your perspective).

The rest of the books follow the story of Callum and Sephy and then the narrator changes towards the end (I don't want to say who to, it may spoil the story!).

So, if you're looking for a new series which is as amazing as Twilight (in my opinion) yet deals with issues that are very much present in today's society, then you should buy this. It's amazing :lol:

:roll:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello BookBee,

Me again! I have read Noughts and Crosses and absolutely loved it. I read it a few years ago, but have not read any of the sequals because I was too scared that I would be disappointed!! I take it that you weren't?

Lolly

I admit that the first one is my favourite but I often find that with a series of books. That, or the last one :lol:. The other three in the series have a different feel to the first one as there's less focus on the romance side of things. But they're still amazing :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my review of Noughts and Crosses:

noughts-and-crosses.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Sephy is a Cross - a member of the dark-skinned ruling class. Callum is a Nought - a 'colourless' member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since early childhood. But that's as far as it can go. Until the first steps are taken towards more social equality and a limited number of Noughts are allowed into Crosses schools...Against a background of prejudice and distrust, intensely highlighted by violent terrorist activity by Noughts unable to accept the injustices any longer, a romance builds between Sephy and Callum - a romance that is to lead both of them into terrible danger...

This is one of the best books I have read all year. Blackman writes about race and the trials faced in an unequal society. She writes magnificantly. The story follows Sephy, a black girl whose father holds a lot of power, and Callum, a white boy, 18 months older, whose family have no rights. The reader watches them grow up in this unfair, prejudice society where race is everything and the whites form a militant group, a terrorist group, in hopes to gain some equality. This is an incredibly tough subject to write about, and Blackman does it so well. In some ways it is a horror story, in others a sad tale. Noughts and Crosses has made me stop and think about why people turn to violence, how blessed we are that for the most part we live in a civilised, equal society and ultimately, what I would do in either of their positions.

I loved both characters, Sephy and Callum. I found myself willing them on, hoping for the best, despairing for them, grieving for them. I felt so many emotions during the book, and the ending, well I could cry.

I don't think I have a criticism. Yes sometimes the storyline was a touch predictable, but did that spoil the story? No. Will I be reading the rest of the series? Yes. This is an amazing book, and it is has touched me in many ways.

10/10

Seriously, I came here and expected everyone to be raving about it because in my mind, it's just an incredible series. I have no idea why it isn't more popular, maybe it hasn't had the right promotion? I'm not sure!

Thanks kb.marsh for selling the story so much better than I could :D. Yay, I'm glad you guys have added it to your wishlist. Let me know what you think!!

:D

• 1 month later...

I have read Noughts and Crosses, Knife Edge and Checkmate and loved them - the first more than the rest. I am currently struggling through Double Cross. I don't know what it is but it has never really got me hooked. What does everyone else think about the fourth one?

Edited by Cadenza

I read Double Cross in less than a day so I didn't struggle to read it. But I didn't like it as much as the rest. I think it's because

the narrator is different and it tends to stay from his perspective unlike the other books where it switches around more. Also, it's less about Sephy and Callum and more about Tobey.

Ah I fell in love with Callum, I was devestated when he died. The first one was the only one I really enjoyed. I've read all of them but the story line just isnt the same. I guess when you fall in love with a character and they die the story becomes a bit dry for you.

Edited by Nici
Added spoilers

Bought Noughts and Crosses yesterday. Not sure if it's the next one I'm going to read, because I want to read my first Discworld novel.. but it certainly wont be long before I get it.

I've never heard about these books til this forum but it's on my 'to buy' list next month now!

I think if you enjoyed Twilight you should really enjoy Noughts and Crosses. Particularly if your favourite part of the Twilight series was the first 2/3 of Book One.