Have you ever read a book, then seen the movie...

Ceinwenn

Well, I'll proudly admit to liking both War of the Worlds adaptations (and I love the book as well).

The aliens were good, but the rest of the film was complete bobbins.

Yes, we got it that Tom Cruise was a bad parent after the first five minutes, we didn't need or want that "happy" little saga rammed down our throats for the next two hours!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Black Hawk Down - The movie was very true to the book but the book was more indepth, a very good read.

Jarhead - Good movie- Brilliant Book - The true story of what conflict is like the majority of the time.

If you really want to get to know character's then have a read of Band Of Brothers -Stephen E Ambrose, then watch the 10 part series. Seeing the men of then, today, talking about their experience's is excellent along with being directed by Steven Spielberg & Tom Hanks makes it a reel winner.

A series that immediately comes to mind is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I found the books virtually unreadable due to the very poor pacing, but the movies were great.

Other than that, Children of Men. The book is a competent, atmospheric look at a dying world, but the ending was too abrupt and contrived, plus it didn't make any sense. The movie is very different from the book, but I felt it worked a lot better from a story point-of-view.

I also liked Order of the Phoenix the movie a lot more than the book. The book had major issues with pacing and believability in the character department (everybody is suddenly humping like jackrabbits, wth?). The movie excised plenty of the extraneous bits, which made the good bits stand out. Plus I was always a little confused by the climactic scene in the Department of Mysteries (at least I think that's what it's called), but watching the movie made me 'get' the scene.

Regeneration by Pat Barker-I really enjoyed the book and thought it was brilliant! The film was also good, but I felt they missed out too much from the book, so the film was really different! But the film is still worth a watch, and the book is definatly worth a read! :woohoo:

Edited by Suzanne123

I've always prefered the book- especially for Jurassic Park and the Harry Potters. :drama:

I've read Harry Potter books before the movies.. but somehow I always thought the second movie was better than the second book. Don't know really why, it just felt that way :woohoo:

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer is my favorite book and now they made a movie.. I saw a trailer and it was a big "lol". Hope the movie is better than the trailer. :)

As for the vice versa, I've never saw a movie and then read a book upon which movie was made.. I suppose I never liked any movie enough to read a book, or I liked it too much to read a book :lol:

• 1 month later...

I watched The Green Mile and then I read the book and I can't decide which I prefer. The film is fantastic and although there are differences, which there always will be, I still feel it's on par with the book.

I read A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks and preferred the movie. I find his writing style very simplistic and I felt that the movie actually gave more insight into the characters, which I think is so rare. Although it is slightly different to the book. Same with The Notebook, I prefer the movie.

I have to comment on Twilight, sorry. I think the book is a lot better but the movie is an ok version of it. I don't feel it captures the magic of the book very well and Kristen is wayy off as Bella, not how I imagined her. But many of the other characters are amazing and some of the scenes are brilliant (baseball scene, love it!).

I watched The Green Mile and then I read the book and I can't decide which I prefer.

Iv seen the Green Mile, and thought it was ok (but overrated from what others told me about it!) For this reason, I don't know if I want to borrow the book of my friend to read (who said the book was fantastic, but she did like the film more than me!) :)

As far as I can remember Green Mile the book is precisely like Green Mile the movie, so if you liked one you're bound to like the other.

As for me, the only movie I liked more than the book was Interview With a Vampire. Having liked the movie I was surprised to discover a different, worse Lestat in the book (or at least that's how it seemed to me back then). Truth be told I could never get into Anne Rice anyway (I've tried more of her books and never got to finish another), so it may be that it's just not my cup of tea.

As for me, the only movie I liked more than the book was Interview With a Vampire.

This was on the other night, I have seen it before but it was years ago and I thought it would be pretty nice to rewatch it, so I settled in to watch it, fell asleep 15 mins in and woke up 5 mins from the end, I was so annoyed :lol::)

Awwhhh lol. I liked it so much I bought the dvd.

I think the best part is the very end when the Guns N Roses version of Sympathy For The Devil starts playing. I adore that song and I adore Guns N Roses, and its just so surreal its wonderful!

Me too haha.

My best friend is a guy who doesn't understand the vampire fandom at all, it cracks him up. His girlfriend introduced me to Twilight, and the poor guy was fit to kill his two best girls as a result! Theres no escaping the vampires! :lol:

Would have to agree with the Interview With A Vampire posts. Found the book very hard going and just loved the film.

Also must agree with a previous poster about Atonement. I thought the film was incredibly well done and faithful to the book which was an amazing read.

xxSparklexx :D

As far as I can remember Green Mile the book is precisely like Green Mile the movie, so if you liked one you're bound to like the other.

That's true. I watched the movie first and then read the book and they're very similar. They evoke the same emotion and are both very intense (obviously). I would say the movie is definitely on par with the book which is quite rare (I think).

What was the book like?

Cause I really liked the film :lol:

Eeek lets put it this way if you read the book first you would not go to see the film , it was just a big let down after seeing the film :D I think it was under 200 pages

I will have a dig around if i can find it i will start a book ring and you can jude for your self , maybe i am being a bit harsh on it

Edited by crotalus_p