Richard and Judy Summer Reads 2008

Janet

I've read some corking reviews of The Outcast but even so, I'm going to wait for the paperback edition!

Overall, a good list, I reckon. I will definitely be buying a few...

It is out in paperback already - I bought it this morning. :D

I saw them give a brief synopsis of the first three books today on R and J - I thought (as well as East of the Sun) that No Time For Goodbye sounded good also.

There's a mixed response to the Richard and Judy books. Unfortunately the library buys in many copies of the books which is seen as a waste of resources especially when after it is all over multiple copies take up precious shelf space. Resources, funding etc are a serious issue and so I respect that point of view completely. Personally I feel that anything that gets people reading is good, and having the collection focuses people and often provides common ground and at times encourages people to read books they wouldn't normally. Often readers will look at the stand and ask whether we can recommend any of the books - because of that I like to make the effort to try out one or two. What's nice is that your attention can be drawn to books you may never have noticed.

As staff we are all very varied in our reading and that too can determine how enthusiastic staff are about the selected books. Plus not everyone likes Richard and Judy so that's another part of the equation.

Plus not everyone likes Richard and Judy so that's another part of the equation.

That's true - there seems to be a lot of snobbery surrounding their choice of books. People I've spoken to often write the books off if R&J have picked them.

I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to buy their recommendations - but neither would I let it put me off. I'd have missed out on the excellent The House at Riverton (and Mr Pip?) if I did!

I've only watched Richard and Judy's show once - and that was specifically for 'Riverton' - it's not my type of programme.

Unfortunately the library buys in many copies of the books which is seen as a waste of resources especially when after it is all over multiple copies take up precious shelf space.

I've noticed that it's the same in my local library. There's quite often 3 or even 4 copies of the Richard & Judy books sitting on the shelves.

My local library isn't that good either. But I still find some gems in there so I won't complain too much!

I must try and read some of the Summer Reads but my TBR list is already really long....aw well! Always room for more!

My local library isn't that good either. But I still find some gems in there so I won't complain too much!

I must try and read some of the Summer Reads but my TBR list is already really long....aw well! Always room for more!

You should try Worthing Library, or even Littlehampton!!;)

Popped in to Waterstone's today to pick up a couple of book tokens (sorry gift cards as they are called now) and looks like 'The Outcast' seems to be the most popular. It was the book that looked like it had the most taken from the shelf as there were only a handful left.

That's true - there seems to be a lot of snobbery surrounding their choice of books. People I've spoken to often write the books off if R&J have picked them.

I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to buy their recommendations - but neither would I let it put me off. I'd have missed out on the excellent The House at Riverton (and Mr Pip?) if I did!

I've only watched Richard and Judy's show once - and that was specifically for 'Riverton' - it's not my type of programme.

I agree, as long as a book sounds good I will read it and it seems a shame if people let a sticker put them off. I have never watched the R and J book club so cannpt comment but I am certainly not going to be put off reading books! I have added No Time for Goodbye to my list and I also quite fancy Addition but not quite so sure about that one.

We now have the Richard and Judy shelf but not much choice - ie. not the ones I wanted to read!!!

I find that at the beginning of the Richard & Judy club, the books are quite often hard to find in the library. Probably because they're so popular they get snatched up quickly.

I am reading 'No Time For Goodbye' by Linwood Barclay at the moment, its being discussed tomorrow (02.07.08) on the show.

Its a bit of a slow starter I thought but well worth it as the story progresses. I am on page 247 of 436 pages and I am desperate to know what has happened to Cynthia's family!:)