Doctor Who & Torchwood Books

• 6 months later...

Gosh, I never saw this thread before now!

I tried reading one of the Tenth Doctor ones, The Stone Rose (originally listened to the audiobook but it was too cringeworthy to hear David Tennant describing his handsome self, even as 'The Doctor'). I really didn't think much of it.

I then tried 'Father Time' by Lance Parkin, one of the Eighth Doctor novels (I adored the Eighth Doctor, and am disappointed he has only one television appearance to speak of, so I decided to check out his vast catalogue of written adventures) and I quite enjoyed it. The entire thing was based on Earth, as the Doctor didn't know who he was for the whole book (that's what it was about, largely), but it was quite enjoyable. I have some other older ones which I'm also going to give a go.

^ I've been reading a non-fiction Doctor Who book recently that is starting to make me feel I should go back and re-read some of the early Virgin novels that I never read at the time. It's odd to see just how many names on them are now actively working on the new series (Mark Gatiss, Gary Russell, Paul Cornell etc).

That's actually what I ended up aiming for. The names that are either most highly rated all round or those who are currently associated with Doctor Who, because they clearly have their heads in the right place and at the right level for working on it. I'll probably read Cornell's Human Nature when next I get around to a Who novel.

^ You can download a pdf of that from the BBC's web site (or you used to be able to). If it is no longer there send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

The Mark Gatiss novel Nightshade is very good, lots of Quatermass overtones, but I think you'll be hard pushed to lay your hands on a copy of it these days.

Went looking on the website for Human Nature and they also had Nightshade right under it! So thank you, I was able to download PDFs of both :friends0:

In case anyone else wants to download these books in PDF format, you can find them at the BBC website here.

• 2 years later...

I saw the Tom Baker version on the telly in the '70's and they released a 6 books translated which I devoured at that time which were basicly books based upon the serials made by the BBC. They did create a thirst for more which had to be ignored for some years because there was no new DW coming in the Netherlands.

WHen I studied in the UK for a year I found a whole universe of which I had no knowledge and it is still feeding me today in books, audiobooks and tv.

I really enjoy the 8th Doctor books as I feel he was shortchanged with only one televised adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

A rather nice set of Doctor Who novels, one for each Doctor, have been re-released to celebrate the show's 50th anniversary this year.  I took a look at them in Waterstone's this afternoon and ended up buying the 11th Doctor novel The Silent Stars Go By.

I suspect this could be the start of a collection . . .

You can find out more about the series here: BBC Books re-issue eleven novels for 50th Anniversary.

I've read all the Torchwood books until it was just the three characters, I originally read them just for Ianto. He was my favourite character. I'd like to read the Doctor Who books I just never really felt as drawn to them as I did to Torchwood. If anyone has a favourite DW book that you think I should start with, let me know and I'll give it a go.

Do you have a favourite Doctor?  Probably best to start with one of their books.

I've read a few now, my favourite was probably The Stone Rose, a tenth Doctor and Rose story, but I also really liked Sick Building with the tenth Doctor and Martha (can you tell who my favourite Doctor is yet? :D) written by Paul Magrs, who has written for some of the Classic Who era Doctors too and although I haven't read those, I've read some of his non-Doctor Who books and I enjoy reading his books.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...