Vampire Apocalypse by Derek Gunn

Michelle

Book One: A World Torn Asunder

The first few chapters of this book throw you straight into this world - a war in the Middle East wipes out it’s oil supply, and events have escalated from there. Power, especially from nuclear stations, has become the most valuable thing, and cites and towns look after only themselves.

Into this confused world steps the vampires. These are not the sexy, mysterious vampires that have been appearing in recent books, but rather vicious killers, who have waiting for a chance to attack.. which they now have.

Jumping forward approximately two years, the vampires are very much in charge.. and the remaining humans are kept in walled cities, ready to be food when needed. Due to their problems with sunlight, the vampires have a selection of ‘thralls’.. not quite vampires, but under their control.

A small group have avoided capture, and this group of rebels lead a fight to defeat the vampires, and free the humans.

This is very much a book about war, with lots of battle scenes, and violence.. and yet it never lets go of the humans involved in the middle. The characters are not deeply explored, but certainly enough to progress the story.

The strength of this book is it’s non-stop action. The story never lets up, and it’s very hard to put down. I often sat in bed thinking the usual ‘one more page’! I would have liked to learn a little more about the characters, especially the vampires, but with book two being released later this year, hopefully I will.

Edited by Michelle

Great review Michelle, I like vampire books especially the even more darker side of them, I will look out for this one.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Book Two: Descent Into Chaos

A while ago I was sent the first Vampire Apocalypse book to review. I was looking forward to the second book, and I wasn’t disappointed.

To recap, the world is thrust into confusion due to a energy crisis, and it’s into this world that the vampires appear, after living in secret for years. These vampires are not the ones that have been found in recent novels, but are vicious killers.

In this second book, the vampires have split themselves into cabals, controlling certain areas of the US. There are both ancient and younger vampires, with their teams of thralls to keep control in the day light hours. Most humans have been captured, and under the influence of a serum, are being kept for food. A small group, however, are living in secret, and are fighting to free more - their latest plan is to cause confusion between two cabals, setting them up against each other.

As with the first book, this is a book about war, with the vampires adding an extra horror element. This makes for an action packed book, which doesn’t let up until the last page. Again, the human stories aren’t deeply explored, but there’s enough to add another layer of interest. The vampires are explored a little more than in the first book, and it is rather refreshing to find a return to the type of creature you would expect in as an ‘undead’.

Each book so far has wrapped up the particular story line it focuses on, but leaves it open for the next one.. I look forward to the next!

Edited by Michelle

• 1 month later...

OOOOooooo! This sounds good! I adore vampires and have read many vampire series! I've never heard of this one I will definatly have a look at these! It sounds amazing that they have captured the humans! Thanks for the good suggestion! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really this story's main character, a young man named Peter Harris who is one of the leaders in the rebels fight to overcome the vampires, strange given that his nearest brush with military style tactics is playing tactical computer games on his pc before the war broke out! He's had to learn .. fast. The vampires keep the humans in line by injecting them with a serum to keep them docile and easy to manage, just alert enough to perform their everyday functions and breed, but docile enough so as to have no free will to be a problem. They are kept within walled towns and patroled during the day by the vampires 'thralls' humans who have been bitten but not actually fully fledged vampires, nasty buggers too. Harris and the band of resistance rebels have been put in a position where they have to act now or be caught and die a horrible death ...

It seems to be a no win situation and the story follows how the rebels come together forming bonds and strong friendships. The writing is fast paced and easy to read. The story is more like a blockbuster action movie than a gothic horror, its not your typical Dracula or Anne Rice vamp read, the vampires are totally unlikeable! No Twilightesque romance involved! :blush: The descriptions throughout the book are quite vivid and the plot is easy to follow.

I enjoyed this book, its not my ususal type of vampire read but I ended up really liking it and have added the sequel to my wishlist. :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...