Angel's list

Angel

Finished The Constant Princess and really quite enjoyed - I learnt alot about Katherine of Aragon and she is not the shrinking, pious woman that the classic history leads us to believe...............

It also made me want to learn more about her parents. Her mother sounded like an amazing woman.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree!! I always find Philippa Gregory's books an education. She really does her research thoroughly.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even realise it was her parents that hired Christopher Columbus!! Fancy that! In fact, I'd never even thought about him having been hired. I guess I just assumed that he'd done his expeditions off his own back.

I'm on the hunt for any books about her parents or the Moors now and if I come across anything, I'll let you know :D

2/3 rds of the way through Da Vinci - still enjoying it overall but there are a couple of parts that have made me feel distinctly uncomfortable and ill at ease, as it goes completely against what I've been taught! If this book was intended to shock, then it is succeeding in areas

Will continue to the end tho as it is difficult to put down

Found a couple of my old books on my mother's bookshelves at the weekend which I had forgotten to pack when I left home - 15 yrs ago! So these will be added to the ever lengthening to read list, like long lost possessions reunited!!

Philippa Gregory - The Favoured Child - (need to find my longlost Wideacre!)

Philippa Gregory - Meridion

Victoria Holt - The Shimmering Sands

Maureen asked

Did you get what the hype was about?

I did actually. I have tried to avoid it until now, but was drawn in by curiosity! It is basically a modern day hunt for the Holy Grail. Plenty of murders, surprises and riddles to solve! I surprised myself by guessing where it is!!

I can see how it lends itself to a film due to it's pace. I did find some of the possible theories a little challenging as it is totally against what is traditionally taught. However having said that I can see that it will be a box office hit.

Finished Peter Tremayne'S - The Lepers Bell. I quite enjoyed this one. Sister Fidelma is back in 7th C Ireland and her 6 month old baby is kidnapped. A huge search is undertaken - but are the culprits any of the enemies that she and her Saxon husband, Eadolf, have made.

This book is a great read, especially if you enjoy medieval history. The one thing that made me very cross though, is that metres and kilometres are mentioned. I Googled this and the first mention of this system is mentioned in the 1790s!! Does Europe have to creep into everything??? This is the first time that I have come across this and it made me very cross. Lets keep our Literature authentic - like the rest of the book!!

An enjoyable read

Updated list:-

Dan Brown - Angels and Demons read

Philippa Gregory - The Favoured Child

Philippa Gregory - Meridion

Victoria Holt - The Shimmering Sands

Dan Brown - The Da Vinci Code -read

Jodi Picoult - Keeping Faith read

Peter Tremayne - The Leper's Bell - Read

The Bad Mothers Handbook - read

Jodi Picoult - Perfect Match - read

Philippa Gregory - The Constant Princess read

Brian Lynch - The Winner of Sorrow

Susan Howatch - Penmarric

Sally Beauman - Rebecca's Tale

Nicholas Evans - The Divide Read

Ellis Peters - The Knocker on Deaths Door

Ruth Rendall - End in Tears - Read

Dan Brown - The Da Vinci Code -read

Tracy Chevalier - The Lady and the Unicorn read

Jodi Picoult - Salem Falls reading

Kate Mosse - Labyrinth- read

Mary Higgins Clark - No Place Like Home -read

Richard Montanari - The Rosary Girls read

Daphne Du Maurier - Jamaica Inn read

Jeanne Kalogridis - The Borgia Bride read

I've read 6 of them so far, with Salem Falls wating on the shelf.

I think so far, My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth are my favourites so far. Perfect Match I enjoyed but found more upsetting as it is about child abuse. I haven't been disappointed with any of them so far

Here's the blurb for it:

"What would you do for someone you love? Would you lie? Would you leave? Would you kill? These are just some of the questions confronting the characters in Mercy, which follows the path of two cousins driven to extremes by the power of love.

Woven tight with passion and a fast-paced plot, Mercy explores some of today's most highly charged emotional and ethical issues as it draws toward its stunning conclusion. When you love someone, where do you cross the line of moral obligation? And how can you commonly define love and devotion to begin with? Long after you have turned the last page, you'll still be thinking about this rich novel, as well as questioning your own beliefs about love and loyalty."

Sounds good to me :D

Just starting the Divide by Nicholas Evans. This chap wrote the Horse Whisperer, The Loop and the Smoke Jumper, all of which were excellent reads. The Horse Whisperer was one of my all time reads and it was turned into a film.

The Divide should hopefully fulfill expectations - this author only publishes occassionally and as a result his work is of a very high standard.......

Finished The Divide - really enjoyed it. I would give it 9/ 10

Synopsis courtesy of Amazon

Synopsis

Two backcountry skiers find the body of a young woman embedded in the ice of a remote mountain creek. All through the night police work with arc lights and chainsaws to prise her out. Identifying her doesn't take so long. Abbie Cooper is wanted for murder and her picture is on law enforcement computers all across America. But how did she die? And what was the trail of events that led this golden child of a loving family so tragically astray? From the number one bestselling author of "The Horse Whisperer", master storyteller Nicholas Evans, comes this powerful new novel, an epic thriller of the human heart. In a journey of discovery and redemption, from the streets of New York to the daunting grandeur of the Rocky Mountains, it tells the heart-rending tale of a family fractured by divorce. As both parents and children struggle in search of lost happiness, some devastating truths unravel. "The Divide" is the story of a great love betrayed and of the yearnings and needs, and the dashed hopes and disillusionments that connect and separate all men and women.

This book is beautifully written and I would recommend it