The British Book Awards 2022

All the contemporary (prize nominated) books I've ever read have disappointed me. Like so much today, it seems that the author's identity is more important than the writing. 

On 24/05/2022 at 11:10 AM, Madeleine said:

didn't know anything about it, until I saw Marian Keyes interviewed on the news yesterday.  It's not exactly been publicised much.

It really wasn’t was it!? I only noticed it was on when I posted because of a post about Marian Keyes on Twitter! 

On 30/05/2022 at 1:20 PM, France said:

.I had a quick look at the link, it seems the books have been selected as much for how well they sold as any merit.

On 30/05/2022 at 4:38 PM, Hux said:

All the contemporary (prize nominated) books I've ever read have disappointed me. Like so much today, it seems that the author's identity is more important than the writing. 

Yeah I had the same thoughts. The popularity of a book was clearly a consideration. 

I thought the trade section was a bit more interesting, actually. It’s nice to see so many interesting indie bookshops doing well. I also did not know that Canongate and Faber were considered to be indie publishers! 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I thought the trade section was a bit more interesting, actually. It’s nice to see so many interesting indie bookshops doing well. I also did not know that Canongate and Faber were considered to be indie publishers! 

Probably considered indies as they're one of the few companies not owned by Penguin Random House!

On 01/06/2022 at 11:39 AM, Madeleine said:

Probably considered indies as they're one of the few companies not owned by Penguin Random House!

Now that you mention it, they do have a lot of imprints!