Andrea's intended reads for 2008

~Andrea~

I got 2/3 through The Virgin Suicides and was really enjoying it. It's very well written and poetic and thoughtful, but, by 2/3 in it was getting a bit much. Emotion and poetry and thoughtfulness are great in a novel, but they should be the icing not the cake. I needed a break so I picked up On Writing by Stephen King. It's great so far. I need to pick up Suicides again soon though otherwise I'll lose momentum with it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sedgewick

God God, I've read Teh Virgn Suicides too and it was great. But I prpbably love Kirsten Dunst, so that's why I love th e book. But it's a great book too. I love the parents who have no clue.

Finished The Virgin Suicides today. 7/10. It's a great book and very well written. I did find it dragged in places though. It's a very dense book, all description and very little conversation. Sometimes I felt like Alice in Wonderland complaining at her older sister's book that had no pictures or conversation. (I wonder if she was reading this book) The writing is top quality and doesn't really deserve 7/10 but because it dragged a little for me I had to knock off a couple of marks.

I'd be very interested to see the film now too. I know it had great reviews. I imagine Kirsten Dunst would make a fine Lisbon sister.

Finished On Writing last night, what an enjoyable read. Compared to the last book it was just so immensely readable. I'm discovering how much I like King as a writer. I've only read 3 of his so I have a whole back catalogue to get through :lol:

Next, maybe Carrie, or some chick lit, or a Dean Koontz. Hmm, decisions decisions ...

I started Freya Norths Love Rules a few days ago which I'd picked up in a charity shop. It's not bad, not great, but not bad. When I'm not reading it I don't think, oh I can't wait to get reading again, but when I'm reading it I find myself engaged and engrossed. It's strange :friends0:.

I do find myself occasionally tutting at a writing style I don't agree with (sorry I can't help it, too many adjectives and adverbs :lol:) and the language is a little clunky at times, but good in places too. The story doesn't seem to have really got going yet, it's just 'stuff happening to people', if you know what I mean. I guess it's all background, I'm only on page 60.

I started Freya Norths Love Rules a few days ago which I'd picked up in a charity shop. It's not bad, not great, but not bad. When I'm not reading it I don't think, oh I can't wait to get reading again, but when I'm reading it I find myself engaged and engrossed. It's strange :friends0:.

I do find myself occasionally tutting at a writing style I don't agree with (sorry I can't help it, too many adjectives and adverbs :lol:) and the language is a little clunky at times, but good in places too. The story doesn't seem to have really got going yet, it's just 'stuff happening to people', if you know what I mean. I guess it's all background, I'm only on page 60.

I know exactly what you mean having read others of FNs.

• 2 weeks later...

Fear Nothing - Dean Koontz

Finished Fear Nothing last night. Very enjoyable if a little far-fetched. I don't normally read thrillers (I have tried John Grisham and wasn't taken) but I think I have discovered a new genre and a new author that I will be reading a lot more of in the future. As I said this was an outlandish story line and I was going along with it, happily suspending belief, until

the bit where the dog was able to understand English.

That made me roll my eyes and laugh. The quality of writing was very good though. 8/10.

Next Shakespeare, Bill Bryson.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ghost Writer is proving very enjoyable. Its very different to what I've been reading lately which is great. For the first time in ages, it feels like a book I'll be sorry to finish. Most of the time I get impatient about half way through because I'm so keen to get through my TBR. But this story is great. Can't wait to go to bed and read some more :)

The Ghost Writer is proving very enjoyable. Its very different to what I've been reading lately which is great. For the first time in ages, it feels like a book I'll be sorry to finish. Most of the time I get impatient about half way through because I'm so keen to get through my TBR. But this story is great. Can't wait to go to bed and read some more :)

I enjoyed this, very scarey and atmospheric, it actually made me jump!

I enjoyed this, very scarey and atmospheric, it actually made me jump!

I'm not that far in yet and haven't got to any scary bits so far. I'm looking forward to getting to the spookier parts :cry2: Hopefully it won't be too scary :)

I was excited to discover today that John Harwood has another book out (as of 4th April) The Seance. I will definitely be adding that to my wish list :D

Read up about this at work and added it to my LibraryThing wishlist.

Still reading the Ghost Writer and I am so enjoying it :doowapstart:It is the first time in ages where I haven't wanted the book to end. (Usually I get half way through and I start thinking about what I'm going to read next)

Its quite creepy and I find myself getting jumpy if I'm reading late in a room on my own (I won't read it if there's no-one else in the house :D )

I'm enjoying it even more so than The Stand. I love all the little short stories all the way through. I predict it will get 10/10 (However I am only half way through so we shall see)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Carrie. It's a very well written book. The ending is a bit, well, OTT I guess, but it kind of works and the book is slightly different to the film so it wasn't as predictable as I'd feared. 9/10

Only read 3 of Short Cuts (Raymond Carver short stories) They were pretty good but I didn't really get the point of them. They ended kind of abruptly I guess. will pick up again at some future point.

Next I guess it has to be The Jungle Books :friends0:

• 3 weeks later...

I am really enjoying the two books I'm reading, both non-fiction.

One is a true life account of a woman who, along with others, helped hide Jews from the Nazis in occupied Holland. It is a fascinating and gripping read, written like a novel. I can't get enough of it.

The other is a work of journalism, a series of interviews with family members, colleagues etc of Robert Mugabe. I'm not very far in yet, but so far it is proving equally fascinating. It's very readable in style, but I'm finding it hard to keep up with the African names and political references. It could do with a glossary. Still, it's very good.

There is just something about true life stories that is so much more involving than fiction. That's what I find anyway. :)

One is a true life account of a woman who, along with others, helped hide Jews from the Nazis in occupied Holland. It is a fascinating and gripping read, written like a novel. I can't get enough of it.

T. ;)

Oh, is that The Zookeeper's Wife? I've wanted to read that. It sounds great