• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

July Supporter Giveaway   07/01/2019

It's Christmas in July! The winner of the July Supporter giveaway will receive this beautiful Barnes & Noble edition of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, as well as a special Charles Dickens tea by  theliteraryteacompany.co.uk .   I've been keeping this book a secret for so long (I couldn't wait until Christmas!) It's actually from a really lovely independent bookshop in Hay-on-Wye, the town of books. I'm so glad I finally get to show you! The picture doesn't even do it justice. A nice feature that you can't see in this image - the page edges are gold and (an extra surprise for the winner) the back is just as beautiful as the front! We also now have twice as much tea as previous giveaways!  (Thank you Literary Tea Company!)   As always, supporters are automatically entered into the giveaway and a winner will be chosen at random at the end of the month. If you want to enter this giveaway but you aren't a supporter, you can join in here https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   Good luck  
Sign in to follow this  
Apocalypse fan

Apocalyptic genre

Hi all, first post so go easy on me. 

I have recently published my own book in this genre, but this isn't a self advertisement sort of post, more of a research for another book.

I love the genre, but often struggle to find books I like. The problem is I don't go in for the zombies, or the werewolves or killer bees or anything like that, I prefer to stay as realistic as possible, with maybe the slightest of twists from reality. Sort of "it could happen, but probably wont" approach. 

This is what I've tried to achieve in my writing, but have you any books in the genre you have really enjoyed, that maybe would interest me? 

To give you an idea of the kind of thing I mean, for anyone who has seen the 'last man on earth' tv series, where it's based on survival without amenities rather than survival against the bad guys, that's where I'm at. 

Also, is there anything you would like to see in this genre that maybe isn't out there so much?

I know this might be taken as being a thread in the wrong forum but I really would like to here more about people's likes, wants and needs rather than talking about my own publication.

I can’t actually think of any apocalyptic novels right now but I just wanted to say that it’s fine to ask for book recommendations in a particular genre. It definitely doesn’t count as self promotion if you just want to talk about the genre you love. That’s mainly what we do here all the time! 

And welcome to the forum :) 

The only thing that instantly comes to my mind is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. We never find out what happened to cause the apocalypse but it is one of the most atmospheric books I’ve ever read.

I really enjoyed Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker when I read it many years ago. It's not so much about how they have survived, but rather what has developed as a result of an apocalypse. 

It is all about the characters for me, and their interactions with each other, and their development / unfolding within the story. 

Tricky one this...

I have read quite a few post-apocalypse books over the years, but they predominantly have a strong science fiction basis; The Day of the Triffids and The Kraken Wakes, both by John Wyndham, for example, or I am Legend, by Richard Matheson (I can also name several post-alien invasion books, but I'm guessing they won't exactly fit the remit either!)

The only one I can think of immediately that doesn't have a strong "fantastical" angle is The Drowned World, by JG Ballard.  It's a good book, but not exactly heavy on the laughs...